Confirmed with Link: Marian Gaborik and Nick Shore to OTT for Dion Phaneuf (25% retained) and Nate Thompson

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
martial87

folinch91

Comparing Folin, Martinez, and Doughty, they don't have a similar issue in that spot. It's possible it has something to do with their partner, but why doesn't it show up elsewhere?
So are you saying that Forbort's partner has to help him more on his side therefore leaving his own side more open for scoring chances? I understand that Forbort is the only one who has that red dot on his side but I'm not understand how or why that's happening. Looks like that's one of the spots where Doughty doesn't have the blue, below average dot so it makes sense but why do you think it's happening is what I'm asking.

Edit: Just read your post saying you think it's cause of his lack of foot speed and opposing players getting around him. But that's not his side of the ice he's defending. Are you saying they're getting by him and passing across the ice and getting that scoring chance?

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
So are you saying that Forbort's partner has to help him more on his side therefore leaving his own side more open for scoring chances? I understand that Forbort is the only one who has that red dot on his side but I'm not understand how or why that's happening. Looks like that's one of the spots where Doughty doesn't have the blue, below average dot so it makes sense but why do you think it's happening is what I'm asking.

Edit: Just read your post saying you think it's cause of his lack of foot speed and opposing players getting around him. But that's not his side of the ice he's defending. Are you saying they're getting by him and passing across the ice and getting that scoring chance?

The bolded would be one of my theories, yeah. The get past him, go around the net, and get a scoring chance off there.

There's also consideration that if Forbort misses a clear off of his backhand to the right side, which by my memory he often does miss those, the Right side has a good opportunity off the turn-over.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
The bolded would be one of my theories, yeah. The get past him, go around the net, and get a scoring chance off there.

There's also consideration that if Forbort misses a clear off of his backhand to the right side, which by my memory he often does miss those, the Right side has a good opportunity off the turn-over.
Got it. I'll try to look for that tonight just to see what you're seeing. Thanks for the graphics, always cool to see things like that.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
A left side defender will be lined up against a right side attacker. That right side of the diagram is to the goaltenders left, where Forbort normally would be, and where the heat chart shows most of the dangerous shots come from.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Do you have any of these numbers/evidence, or do you just have personal anecdotes?

Me saying, "What about the 100s of times Martinez missed clearing the puck?" has the same weight.

Luckily, I have numbers regarding Forbort getting beat. See his heat Map below, notice the HIGH amounts of shots that come from the Right side, close to the net. I believe that's Forbort's foot speed failing him, people getting around, and getting close to the net. You can also see how attrocious his penalty killing is in this graph.
forbode92

By Comparison, here's Doughty:

doughdr89

Here's Muzzin:
muzzija89
These are cool, can you find something for Phaneuf?

Reactions: KingTrouty

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It was between Forbort and Shore for most boring player on the team: now it is Forbort by a landslide.

The problems with him are the following:

-Basically never makes a memorable play
-Due to that, you only notice when he makes a mistake
-Too many mistakes lately
-Draft pedigree

He's an NHL defenseman but he is not yet--and may never be--a #4 on a very good defense no matter what Corsi and graphs say. I'd love to be able to give him bottom-pair minutes and take him into the 15-18 minute range.

If 8/6/27/Dion can do all the heavy lifting and bump Forbort's minutes down, that would be awesome.

He is very easy to dump on though since he was a 1st rounder and he has pretty much never done anything exciting in his career. At least Scuderi hip checked that guy on CBJ and made him slide on his face for a bit.

92338794' target='_blank' style='color:

rob-scuderi-of-the-los-angeles-kings-knocks-jason-chimera-of-the-picture-id92338794

n3NvPU

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think we could get a decent 2nd/3rd line tweener for Derek Forbort and then just replace him with MacDermid who I miss having in the line-up. Someone who's actually mean and doesn't take **** from peeps.

Muzzin-Doughty
Dion-Martinez
MacDermid-LaDue
*Folin

Im all for trading Forbort. Post as many stats you want, but the guy has pretty much no ability besides being tall and having reach .

I know forbort defenders will post whatever they want but my many years of watching the sport has made my analysis pretty spot on. People defended Dwight King at one point too. Wonder where he is now.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Forbort had 3 assists a couple of games ago.

I cant recall somebody pointed this out.
That was pretty remarkable.

I only read the bad things about Forbort.

Reactions: efhank

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It was pointed out in the GDT
Not really KT, nothing.

I did read this though

Andreoff has a point, Clifford won a fight, Bodzinski has a goal.

What's next!? Forbort goes a full 60 without taking a minor?

Nothing this
guy does is smart. He just let 2 guys blow right by him in the last few min. He's my whipping boy but if they can get anyone at all at this point to replace him it's a huge upgrade

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Forbort had 3 assists a couple of games ago.

I cant recall somebody pointed this out.
That was pretty remarkable.

I only read the bad things about Forbort.

Ziggy mentioned in this very thread that he "made a shitty pass to Brodzinski" that resulted in an assist.

He's getting his credit.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Fine, root for Doughty. If he thinks he is going to sign for 8 years with the Kings and not go through another rebuild, he is sadly mistaken.

God forbid we have a management team which can do an honest assessment of the organization and behave accordingly.

I agree. I know we butt heads often about Kopitar and even what management should do this year, but Doughty should be cognizant of the fact that, if he wants to stay here long term, he will have to take up some leadership eventually. Even though I am a strong proponent of holding steady this year, there will come a time when a younger core will have to be infused (i.e. rebuild).

In any 7-8 year span, a rebuild is very often a minimum. Some can get by with retooling, but very rarely can one hold the line consecutively for so long without building with youth (which is another reason why I got so frustrated at the Lucic + Sekera trades).

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It is very true that the ducks and kings players are very friendly off the ice But they do seem to leave it there. On the ice they seem to hate each other as much as each fan base seems to hate each other all the time

Time to insert some Phaneuf. He's been going at it with Getlzaf and Perry for a long time now.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I agree. I know we butt heads often about Kopitar and even what management should do this year, but Doughty should be cognizant of the fact that, if he wants to stay here long term, he will have to take up some leadership eventually. Even though I am a strong proponent of holding steady this year, there will come a time when a younger core will have to be infused (i.e. rebuild).

In any 7-8 year span, a rebuild is very often a minimum. Some can get by with retooling, but very rarely can one hold the line consecutively for so long without building with youth (which is another reason why I got so frustrated at the Lucic + Sekera trades).

I'm guessing Doughty means like a bottom 5 finish for 4 years type rebuilding.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I don't understand the bottom pair of Forbort and Folin. Kings have LaDue and Gravel.

I really think a bottom pair D and a bottom 6 forward are going to be dealt soon. Too many of the same type of guy. Clifford, Andreoff, and Thompson are all similar, Lewis and Mitchell are similar. Folin and Forbort are essentially the same, Gravel and LaDue similar...

I would deal a Folin and a Clifford. Go with a bottom pair of Forbort and Gravel/LaDue.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
kinda hilarious how a guy that's been paying probably hundreds of thousands in taxes to the states while flying in and out daily can have any sort of visa issues

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
But if I'm understanding correctly then isn't the big red blot for Forbort on the right side now his fault? Doesn't that mean his partner is the one giving up the scoring chances?
Exactly!! The red is not on Forbort side. Let alone, these charts are kind of crazy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad