Marek Zidlicky

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Glad he's working out for you guys. IF (huge if) he signs back with NJ (since he claims to love it so much) how about we run this trade back again next deadline? (...)
The better Zidlicky plays, the more Detroit would want him back full time - or sign another typical PMD instead. Players like this are somehow lacking in the Red Wings system (Sproul might come close, but does need at least another year AHL seasoning). Thus I hope that the gap Zidlicky filled will not exist next year. Retaining him for one year would be the best solution anyway.

Gruß,
BSHH

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Zid gets lost in the defensive zone(like some of our other D) but difference is he's got a huge offensive game compared to all of them. Definitely was the best addition that could've been made. Haven't had a point shot like that since you know who, and it DOES make a big difference to how the other team tries to defend you.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Zid gets lost in the defensive zone(like some of our other D) but difference is he's got a huge offensive game compared to all of them. Definitely was the best addition that could've been made. Haven't had a point shot like that since you know who, and it DOES make a big difference to how the other team tries to defend you.

I think Zidlicky is getting some easy looks because teams still aren't used to us having a legit point shot. I think when teams scout us more they will respect it and it will open up others more.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I think Zidlicky is getting some easy looks because teams still aren't used to us having a legit point shot. I think when teams scout us more they will respect it and it will open up others more.

I always think it's funny when people claim that lack of scouting is an issue.

It's common knowledge among most regulars on the forum that the instant we acquired Zidlicky our point shot became a huge offensive threat. But a bunch of random bums surfing the web are more well-versed on the latest in hockey news, while a teams' scouts- who hopefully get paid pretty well to figure out the same things- just haven't quite got there yet?

It might even be true for all I know, but nonetheless I find the idea absurd.

Just like how it took 29 coaches a year to start telling their players "hey so this Nyquist kid is pretty dangerous, I want you to defend against him extra hard."

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Whatever the Wings need to to do to convince this guy to re-sign, they need to do it. The dude is money on the PP and brings a whole new dynamic for us 5-5.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I always think it's funny when people claim that lack of scouting is an issue.

It's common knowledge among most regulars on the forum that the instant we acquired Zidlicky our point shot became a huge offensive threat. But a bunch of random bums surfing the web are more well-versed on the latest in hockey news, while a teams' scouts- who hopefully get paid pretty well to figure out the same things- just haven't quite got there yet?

It might even be true for all I know, but nonetheless I find the idea absurd.

Just like how it took 29 coaches a year to start telling their players "hey so this Nyquist kid is pretty dangerous, I want you to defend against him extra hard."

No where did I imply a bunch of random bums (guess I'm included) know more than professionals. Was just saying it's only been handful of games that he has been on the team, so maybe we are getting benefit of the doubt, not knowing how we were going to use him, or how he would fit in.

But I'm just a bum, so what do I know. I think teams will try harder to give him less time to shoot, and close that gap better, since he's had a lot of time to shoot the last few games. Maybe not though, maybe our spacing and execution is just too good. I thought it seemed like teams were defending us the old way, and not respecting our point shot still.

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
No where did I imply a bunch of random bums (guess I'm included) know more than professionals. Was just saying it's only been handful of games that he has been on the team, so maybe we are getting benefit of the doubt, not knowing how we were going to use him, or how he would fit in.

But I'm just a bum, so what do I know. I think teams will try harder to give him less time to shoot, and close that gap better, since he's had a lot of time to shoot the last few games. Maybe not though, maybe our spacing and execution is just too good. I thought it seemed like teams were defending us the old way, and not respecting our point shot still.

I'm not calling you a bum, and I don't mean to direct this sentiment at you specifically. I just find it odd, the idea that professional hockey teams are generally delayed in catching on to something that is common knowledge amongst casual hockey forum readers. It's a general idea that has been passed around for ages as far as I can tell, and I feel like if there was anything to it, Ken Holland would just pay me 10 bucks a day to skim the board of whatever team we're playing later in the week, to see which players we should pay special attention to.

It's not a big deal, just a point of curiosity for me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not calling you a bum, and I don't mean to direct this sentiment at you specifically. I just find it odd, the idea that professional hockey teams are generally delayed in catching on to something that is common knowledge amongst casual hockey forum readers. It's a general idea that has been passed around for ages as far as I can tell, and I feel like if there was anything to it, Ken Holland would just pay me 10 bucks a day to skim the board of whatever team we're playing later in the week, to see which players we should pay special attention to.

It was just a possibility to me, because I thought Zidlicky was having an easy time getting shots off and getting prime areas.

But that could just be equally attributed to his offensive ability, our structure, and ability to move the opposing D around.

Our PP is legit, so maybe opponents were in a case where they had to "pick your poison", and they thought letting us funnel to the point was the highest percentage play. After Zidlicky has been cleaning up, maybe they re-consider that strategy.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Even though it was clear Zidlicky would be a weapon, they still have to see how we use him, how we set our power play up, etc. before making adjustments. Then I would wonder how many teams would want to show their adjustments now if they think they could face us in the playoffs. The power play, under the best of circumstances, is going to score 3/10 times. If a team stays out of the box against us, they may figure they will weather the storm now, then attempt to employ their adjustments later on when we will have less time to counter.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Reading through a bit of this thread, it sounds almost deja vu to right after the Devils acquired Zidlicky in 2012.

We were lacking a quality puck-moving defenseman since Rafalski left and our blue-line was filled with shutdown guys or two-way defensemen for a long time. He really gave us another weapon during that Cup run, hopefully he does the same for Detroit -- for both the Red Wings and Devils sake.

Now, we have the luxury of a deep, young defense which all collectively move the puck very well so we needed to get what we could for him. Then again, there's a chance he will come back next year as well.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I like Zidlicky as an option for next year. I think there's a lot of things to consider, but I think having him another year could be better than overpaying some of the possible free agent players long term. I think it creates opportunity for guys like Marchenko and eventually Sproul in the long term, unlike say Petry signing a multi year deal. There is lots of time to look at all kinds of options, but I think (ironically?) signing an aging veteran is one of the best options for working the kids into the future.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
How was our PP before and after aqcuiring him?

Top in the NHL :)

I think the sample size is too small for after at the moment but in the game vs the Penguins he slid the puck down low and followed it up to the top of the dot and blasted one home. I remember Lidstrom always snuck in on the PP and made plays like that, elite point men do that. I think we look much better with him. That said the play I referenced was a 5 on 3.

I don't think our PP has suffered at all with his addition and having that RHD out there at the top opens up so many more options.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Better yet, what was the PP% before and after the 7 games?

7/25 on PP since acquiring Zidlicky, which is 28%.

Don't know how to figure out where we were at when we acquired MZ, but we are at 25% on the season, so slight increase overall since he was acquired.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Zids is becoming one of my favorite players to watch. He's calm and collected with the puck and his shot is awesome. I always look for him. Kinda sucks that the rumor is he's gone after this year. Hopefully we get some playoff games out of him!!

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The sample size is too small to mean anything.

That said, he passes the eye test on the PP. Can keep up the cycle just fine, and provides a balance with his RH shot, which opens up more options and results in faster-developing scoring chances.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

That said, he passes the eye test on the PP. Can keep up the cycle just fine, and provides a balance with his RH shot, which opens up more options and results in faster-developing scoring chances.

Was gonna say, if you want to put aside stats, he looks phenomenal out there on the PP. His shot is the best shot we have from the point.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't know where the rumors started about Zidlicky joining the Devils after this year, I personally haven't seen anything regarding this.

What I do know though is that he has his family in New Jersey and loves it there. He seemed like a person who didn't want to leave NJ and he's returned twice now, the last time even waiting for the Devils to open up a spot for him.

Just on that alone, I would speculate that it's unlikely he resigns in Detroit, but I think it's definitely possible.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney

The thing you notice is just the veteran presence back there, his ability to bring calm and focus out of chaos... and, that booming shot.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Was gonna say, if you want to put aside stats, he looks phenomenal out there on the PP. His shot is the best shot we have from the point.

Wearing #28 he reminds me of another former Devil who wore that number. Mostly on the power play, but still, he's great at getting to the top of the circle and firing the puck home.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

That's where I am too. I like what I see so far, but I'm withholding judgement for a while.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I don't think anyone can argue that he isn't a substantial improvement over DeKeyser, sample size be damned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad