Value of: Marco Rossi +

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Rossi looks better every game. Really like what he’s done. Shear will to be better

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Oh well Dach has missed almost 3 full season due to injuries so from a development standpoint he’s still 19? Is that how it works?

Exactly.
If you wanted to make the case that from a development standpoint - yes I would be open to that argument. In order to develop as a player you have to physically be able to play the game - injuries and illness can put that on hold.

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
Because we need more urgent help in other area's right now. Our D prospect pool is more depleted than our F pool - we are 2 years out from competing for anything and Rossi is a piece that I could stomach losing if it meant landing one of the solid D prospects in this years draft.

Thats not the premise of the thread - I value some of the high end D prospects in this draft over Rossi.

Why do people on HFBoards always take the "best available" regardless of position approach? It’s just silly.
Because when you draft for position instead of best available, you get Charlie Stramel….Shouldnt be that hard for a Wild fan to figure that one out…..

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Because when you draft for position instead of best available, you get Charlie Stramel….Shouldnt be that hard for a Wild fan to figure that one out…..

As a Wild fan - we can't be giving up on Charlie Stramel so soon. Have to let him get to at least D +5 before we start writing him off or wanting to trade him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
MN would be looking for a high 1st in this years draft - our offer would be something like

Marco Rossi + 2024 3rd

Would prefer to keep our first - the plus along with Rossi can be negotiated....looking to get into the top 5 ideally. What's your teams best offer and what would the plus need to look like?
You wouldn't get into the Top 15 with that.
Habs might trade our first for Rossi plus your first? I have to think about it though. We currently draft 7th. If guy we want at 7 is gone.
Habs won't trade for another 5'9 small forward. Not happening.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The problem is that's a ridiculous proposal for Rossi and the Wild would never consider it for numerous reasons
However one team should consider going hard for Rossi because they dont have any youth coming into the system, and now is the perfect time to start considering trading Nelson.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Rossi drafted at what... 9? You arent getting a top 20 at this point.

It's really irrelevant where a player is drafted. Kucherov was selected in the 2nd round. Kaprizov in the 5th round. You don't think either one of those players are worth a top 5 pick in this years draft?

All that being said, I would prefer to hold onto Rossi. He's had a really good rookie season, see no reason to trade him, even if his ceiling is that of a #2C.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I really like Rossi and I certainly wouldn’t want him moved.

I believe his value is probably somewhere around his draft position. He’s probably worth a pic in the 7-10 range. He is closer to hitting his ceiling than his floor. As a rookie he’s an effective 2c already and getting better every game. His upside is smart two way top 6 C. That has value regardless of his size

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
As a Wild fan - we can't be giving up on Charlie Stramel so soon. Have to let him get to at least D +5 before we start writing him off or wanting to trade him.
Rossi isn't D+5 yet, so what are you talking about? Are you on a mission to make the worst posts on this board?

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
Im not giving up on Stramel, just pointing out that you could’ve had Stramel much later in draft. Not ready to give up on Rossi either and dont want to give up a center plus more for a draft pick.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It's really irrelevant where a player is drafted. Kucherov was selected in the 2nd round. Kaprizov in the 5th round. You don't think either one of those players are worth a top 5 pick in this years draft?

All that being said, I would prefer to hold onto Rossi. He's had a really good rookie season, see no reason to trade him, even if his ceiling is that of a #2C.
Are you seriously comparing Rossi to Kaprisov or Kucherov?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Are you seriously comparing Rossi to Kaprisov or Kucherov?

Not at all. I'm saying which round (or pick) a player gets drafted has no relevance to their future trade value. Just because Kucherov was selected in the 2nd round, doesn't mean his value in a trade is only for a 2nd rounder.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Not at all. I'm saying which round (or pick) a player gets drafted has no relevance to their future trade value. Just because Kucherov was selected in the 2nd round, doesn't mean his value in a trade is only for a 2nd rounder.
That’s common sense but thanks for clarifying

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Let's say for the sake of argument Rossi is worth what Newhook was. And pick value charts are reasonabley accurate.

That puts Rossi around the 18th pick in value. A mid-third bumps you up to 17th. To get to the 4th over pick you need to essentially double your offer.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Good thing Rossi is worth more than Newhook was

What makes him significantly worth more? Let alone double the value? Newy had a 33 pt season in 71 games when he was younger than Rossi.

The gap (if anything significant) doesn't cross the chasm towards top 5. It would take another mid-1st added to him to try.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What makes him significantly worth more? Let alone double the value? Newy had a 33 pt season in 71 games when he was younger than Rossi.

The gap (if anything significant) doesn't cross the chasm towards top 5. It would take another mid-1st added to him to try.

Well, just for starters, if Rossi was traded for pick 31 and 37, you wouldn't see an overwhelmingly positive reaction among Wild fans

I don't think I ever said Rossi straight up gets a top 5 pick, but he's a much better player than Newhook, and he's actually a real center

Reactions: Digitalbooya

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
As I said in the rest of the post if you read past the Rossi + 2024 3rd rounder - The plus is up for negotiation....

So - what would it take in your opinion?

Keep in mind - Rossi is a 22 year old rookie C with 20 goals and 17 assists so far this year.

He is what you hope a top 5 pick does in his Rookie year.
You hope a top 5 pick isn't in his rookie year at age 22.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

I'm not a Wild fan but I think "trajectory" is important when evaluating value of young NHLers.

Newhook was clearly stagnating in Colorado.

Rossi has done nothing but improve this season both in his offensive stats and his two-way effectiveness.

That makes a big difference even if the age/stats/draft levels all appear outwardly comparable.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not a Wild fan but I think "trajectory" is important when evaluating value of young NHLers.

This is a big part too. Rossi still has more to offer, and honestly, he'd probably be closer to 50 points right now if the Wild had better wingers than Zuccarello and Johansson to play him with most of the year.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad