Value of: Marco Rossi +

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Well, just for starters, if Rossi was traded for pick 31 and 37, you wouldn't see an overwhelmingly positive reaction among Wild fans

I don't think I ever said Rossi straight up gets a top 5 pick, but he's a much better player than Newhook, and he's actually a real center

I think you misunderstand me. I think Rossi is worth more, just not anywhere near the gap between Rossi + 3rd and a top 5 pick. And objectively trying to pin his value down, Newhook doesn't seem significantly off.

I do agree with the other Avs poster, Newy was plateued while Rossi is climbing. But I doubt GMs would value him wildly higher.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It's really irrelevant where a player is drafted. Kucherov was selected in the 2nd round. Kaprizov in the 5th round. You don't think either one of those players are worth a top 5 pick in this years draft?

All that being said, I would prefer to hold onto Rossi. He's had a really good rookie season, see no reason to trade him, even if his ceiling is that of a #2C.

It does matter whrn they are still on an ELC and gm is same.

Russians due to KHL and expiring rights generally drop in drsft order than if they were drsfted out of NA
What makes him significantly worth more? Let alone double the value? Newy had a 33 pt season in 71 games when he was younger than Rossi.

The gap (if anything significant) doesn't cross the chasm towards top 5. It would take another mid-1st added to him to try.
newhook was at end of elf.. Rossi still has ELC time

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
If you're trading Rossi best bet is a swap for a similar former high pick player. Like Dylan Strome for Nick Schmaltz.

You're not getting anywhere close to a top 5 pick. Unless you're also trading your 1st round pick with him.

Reactions: Crow and Altimus

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
By the time Minny gets out from under their 14 million of dead cap, Kaprizov and JEE are both late 20's and then the Wild really need to go for it. Why would they trade a guy who would be 24 just starting his prime (and is already a 20 goal scorer) in favour of a prospect who might not even be on the team during the 25/26 season?

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
By the time Minny gets out from under their 14 million of dead cap, Kaprizov and JEE are both late 20's and then the Wild really need to go for it. Why would they trade a guy who would be 24 just starting his prime (and is already a 20 goal scorer) in favour of a prospect who might not even be on the team during the 25/26 season?
We really don’t have much cap space entering that season considering who’s going to need to be paid. I think we figured they can add about a 7 million dollar player realistically

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
We really don’t have much cap space entering that season considering who’s going to need to be paid. I think we figured they can add about a 7 million dollar player realistically
Hmm, yeah looking at Capfriendly I guess paying Rossi & Faber before the 25/26 season will cost a pretty penny but 14 million + cap going up + getting guys like MAF and Goligoski off the books you are looking at 20+ million of cap so you should be able to bolster the roster pretty well. The D needs a big upgrade.

Maybe Rossi would take a 4.5 x 2 bridge deal or something like that until you can get Zuccarello off the books too.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Hmm, yeah looking at Capfriendly I guess paying Rossi & Faber before the 25/26 season will cost a pretty penny but 14 million + cap going up + getting guys like MAF and Goligoski off the books you are looking at 20+ million of cap so you should be able to bolster the roster pretty well. The D needs a big upgrade.

Maybe Rossi would take a 4.5 x 2 bridge deal or something like that until you can get Zuccarello off the books too.
Hopefully going to have to pay Wallstedt also

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I'm not a Wild fan but I think "trajectory" is important when evaluating value of young NHLers.

Newhook was clearly stagnating in Colorado.

Rossi has done nothing but improve this season both in his offensive stats and his two-way effectiveness.

That makes a big difference even if the age/stats/draft levels all appear outwardly comparable.
But Newhook hasn’t? He progressed in all but one season and is having a career year this year in terms of PPG.
This is a big part too. Rossi still has more to offer, and honestly, he'd probably be closer to 50 points right now if the Wild had better wingers than Zuccarello and Johansson to play him with most of the year.
And you think Newhook wouldn’t be having a better year as well if his wingers were not Armia and Gallagher? I would take Rossi’s wingers WAY before Newhook’s

Yea - most people hope they dont get myocarditis as a teenager.
Heart issues at a young age. Not exactly a plus for his value

Reactions: Altimus

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Well - he was drafted right around Covid and Myocarditis was a big thing when Covid first hit the scene...hit lots of young athletes.
Should probably keep the speculative covid talk out of this thread. The largest study in young males and covid infection out of Israel showed no significant increase in the rate of occurrence pre covid to post infection. Especially when compared to many other common viral infections or the mRNA therapies themselves.

Last edited:

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Should probably keep the speculative covid talk out of this thread. The largest study in young males and covid infection out of Israel showed no significant increase in the rate of occurrence pre covid to post infection. Especially when compared to many other common viral infections or the mRNA therapies themselves.

Well - the data from insurance companies says otherwise. There was a statistically significant increase in deaths in insurance pools of young people than anyone expected during that time period.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Well - the data from insurance companies says otherwise. There was a statistically significant increase in deaths in insurance pools of young people than anyone expected during that time period.
Who knows what to believe. We do know Rossi is fully recovered and that’s what matters:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
As I said in the rest of the post if you read past the Rossi + 2024 3rd rounder - The plus is up for negotiation....

So - what would it take in your opinion?

Keep in mind - Rossi is a 22 year old rookie C with 20 goals and 17 assists so far this year.

He is what you hope a top 5 pick does in his Rookie year.
Maybe at 18/19, not 22. I know his development has had some bumps beyond his control but still. Good player but does he even go top 10 in a re-draft??

Edit: said this without looking at the draft, maybe not even top 15

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Maybe at 18/19, not 22. I know his development has had some bumps beyond his control but still. Good player but does he even go top 10 in a re-draft??

Edit: said this without looking at the draft, maybe not even top 15
Yes he absolutely goes top 10.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yes he absolutely goes top 10.
Stutzle, Byfield, Faber, Sanderson, Raymond, Lundell, Jarvis, Guhle, Peterka, Lafreniere, Mercer all comfortably above him and I'd also say Quinn, Perfetti, Drysdale, couple of guys like Askarov are debatable. There's no justification to put him top 10 in a re-draft at this point

Reactions: Grinner

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Stutzle, Byfield, Faber, Sanderson, Raymond, Lundell, Jarvis, Guhle, Peterka, Lafreniere, Mercer all comfortably above him and I'd also say Quinn, Perfetti, Drysdale, couple of guys like Askarov are debatable. There's no justification to put him top 10 in a re-draft at this point
Laf? Gmafb lol

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Rossi has a better career ppg than Laf and is a rookie. He’s more valuable

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Would PHI’s first (which would be in the 15-18) range interest MIN?

Mimicking the Dach trade to Montreal as a baseline.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would PHI’s first (which would be in the 15-18) range interest MIN?

Mimicking the Dach trade to Montreal as a baseline.

Would it interest MIN? Yes

For Rossi? Not at all

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
So they're the same age but Laf has triple the games played... not sure this is the strong argument you were looking for
Yes , laf has 4 seasons under his belt and Rossi has one and Rossi is the more impressive player already. Simple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad