Value of: Marco Rossi +

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So they're the same age but Laf has triple the games played... not sure this is the strong argument you were looking for
It's also not that strong of an argument for you considering that most of those games people were calling him a bust

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Top 5 probably stays the same in some order. Faber and Jarvis jump him. Possibly Nikishin.

So that's 8. I'd say Rossi is the conversation with 5-7 guys for the 9th spot, so put him anywhere from 9-15, at this point. And 'this point' is a lot earlier in his NHL career than many of the others.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Yes , laf has 4 seasons under his belt and Rossi has one and Rossi is the more impressive player already. Simple
I suggest you get your head out of the sand. there are tier of players and Laf & Rossi does not belong in the same universe.

This thread is the perfect example of a team that was deprived of offensive talent for so long that as soon as they get a guy that had a decent but not great season at 22 he’s the next thing coming.

Top 5 probably stays the same in some order. Faber and Jarvis jump him. Possibly Nikishin.

So that's 8. I'd say Rossi is the conversation with 5-7 guys for the 9th spot, so put him anywhere from 9-15, at this point. And 'this point' is a lot earlier in his NHL career than many of the others.
No, it’s not. The guy is 22, same as everyone in his draft year. He doesn’t get a pass because he couldn’t crack an NHL lineup before that.

Top 6 remains the same. Guhle, Quinn, Lundell, Pefferti, Mercer, Faber all comfortably jump him.

And there’s a few others like Askarov and Schneider that wouldn’t be too far behind

Last edited:

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I suggest you get your head out of the sand. there are tier of players and Laf & Rossi does not belong in the same universe.

This thread is the perfect example of a team that was deprived of offensive talent for so long that as soon as they get a guy that had a decent but not great season at 22 he’s the next thing coming.

No, it’s not. The guy is 22, same as everyone in his draft year. He doesn’t get a pass because he couldn’t crack an NHL lineup before that.

Top 6 remains the same. Guhle, Quinn, Lundell, Pefferti, Mercer, Faber all comfortably jump him.

And there’s a few others like Askarov and Schneider that wouldn’t be too far behind
Rossi being shut down for an entire year obviously hurt him. His rookie season is 22 years old and he’s destroying Laf at every metric except a few points which is easily explained by the quality of team they play on.

Exactly , easy to see him going in the same spot he went in a redraft. I don’t think I’d have Lundell ahead of him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Anybody with half a brain understands circumstances.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Rossi being shut down for an entire year obviously hurt him. His rookie season is 22 years old and he’s destroying Laf at every metric except a few points which is easily explained by the quality of team they play on.

Exactly , easy to see him going in the same spot he went in a redraft. I don’t think I’d have Lundell ahead of him.
That’s one year of development. I don’t watch the Rangers or Wild often but I do have season tickets and I’ve seen both Laf (2x) and Rossi play (1x) live as there’s simply a huge gap between them. Rossi wasn’t that noticeable the few games I watched this year from the Wild. Does he have room to grow? Yes, but he’s no where near the top 5 or 10 of his draft year, let alone has the value of a top 10 pick this year.

Did he show he’s an NHLer this year? Yes. Does that mean his progression will be linear? No. Does he have top 5 pick talent? Not even close. Top 10 pick? Maybe, but I’d rather gamble on the 5-10 pick showing me more by the time he’s 22 than Rossi did so far.
Anybody with half a brain understands circumstances.
He missed one year not 3. Be realistic

Last edited:

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
That’s one year of development. I don’t watch the Rangers or Wild often but I do have season tickets and I’ve seen both Laf (2x) and Rossi play (1x) live as there’s simply a huge gap between them. Rossi wasn’t that noticeable the few games I watched this year from the Wild. Does he have room to grow? Yes, but he’s no where near the top 5 or 10 of his draft year, let alone has the value of a top 10 pick this year.

Did he show he’s an NHLer this year? Yes. Does that mean his progression will be linear? No. Does he have top 5 pick talent? Not even close. Top 10 pick? Maybe, but I’d rather gamble on the 5-10 pick showing me more by the time he’s 22 than Rossi did so far.

He missed one year not 3. Be realistic
He has scored at a better rate in the nhl than Laf even though he’s on a team producing offense at a far lower pace than the rangers. Your eye test is betraying you.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He has scored at a better rate in the nhl than Laf even though he’s on a team producing offense at a far lower pace than the rangers. Your eye test is betraying you.
Not this year (or last) he hasn’t and since this year is its first full season at the NHL (because he wasn’t good enough to stick around before 22).

Your argument is nonsense. No one, and I mean absolutely no one, would take Rossi before Laf

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Not this year (or last) he hasn’t and since this year is its first full season at the NHL (because he wasn’t good enough to stick around before 22).

Your argument is nonsense. No one, and I mean absolutely no one, would take Rossi before Laf
My argument is fine. Rossi is right now a more valuable player than Laf and that gap will widen as Rossi continues to become accustom to the nhl. Laff is almost 300 games into his career. He’s been widely regarded as a huge bust for most of it and even now after all this experience he’s a 60 point player.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
My argument is fine. Rossi is right now a more valuable player than Laf and that gap will widen as Rossi continues to become accustom to the nhl. Laff is almost 300 games into his career. He’s been widely regarded as a huge bust for most of it and even now after all this experience he’s a 60 point player.
He’s still the same age as Rossi? Anyway, if I understand your logic correctly, Joshua Roy should be valued higher than Rossi and should net us a top 10 pick, if not top 5.

I like that. I really, like that.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Canucks might offer Lekkerimaki. The idea would be to give them a #2C so we could load up Pettersson and Miller on the same line. Not sure if Minnesota would have any interest in this though.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

Kaiden Guhle, Jack Quinn and Cole Perfetti COMFORTABLY jump him? Put down the crack pipe

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It's also not that strong of an argument for you considering that most of those games people were calling him a bust
And yet we're in the present where he's playing better than Rossi and an important contributor on a team that might win the President's trophy

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And yet we're in the present where he's playing better than Rossi and an important contributor on a team that might win the President's trophy

Maybe, but your argument was based on GP, clearly that doesn't matter

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Maybe, but your argument was based on GP, clearly that doesn't matter
Didn't really make my point clear enough, the person I quoted referred to Marco Rossi as a rookie as a selling point over Lafreniere, I'm saying that doesn't really hold any bearing when the two players are the exact same age one just managed to make the NHL years earlier.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Didn't really make my point clear enough, the person I quoted referred to Marco Rossi as a rookie as a selling point over Lafreniere, I'm saying that doesn't really hold any bearing when the two players are the exact same age one just managed to make the NHL years earlier.

And the other was a bust for all those years he was in the NHL. Just making the league earlier obviously doesn't matter.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Rossi is also a two way center and Laf is a winger. Huge difference in value there

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Laf , even if he is a disappointment for a 1ov imo, hold more value than Rossi.
Not an unreasonable opinion. I happen to disagree but I think it’s close. My problem comes when someone says Rossi “obviously” doesn’t go top 10 in a redraft. That’s simply ignorant.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Not an unreasonable opinion. I happen to disagree but I think it’s close. My problem comes when someone says Rossi “obviously” doesn’t go top 10 in a redraft. That’s simply ignorant.
But is it? What would your top 10 looks like?

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
But is it? What would your top 10 looks like?
I guess my top 10 would have these players in it currently and this is just some general order. You could definitely argue for Zary and Neighbors to be in there. The Mercer and Drysdales and Askarovs have fallen a bit more for me.

Faber
Stutzle
Sanderson
Raymond
Jarvis
Guhle
Laf
Rossi
Lundell
Byfield

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I guess my top 10 would have these players in it currently and this is just some general order. You could definitely argue for Zary and Neighbors to be in there. The Mercer and Drysdales and Askarovs have fallen a bit more for me.

Faber
Stutzle
Sanderson
Raymond
Jarvis
Guhle
Laf
Rossi
Lundell
Byfield
Peterka? Both Zary and Neighbors are having similar season to Rossi as well. Mercer is having a down year - and yet still has a similar season to Rossi’s - but already showed much more than Rossi did. Same for Perferti. Askarov is a G and still only 21 and is having a very strong season.

Jack Quinn is 100% ahead of Rossi - and ahead of a few others. Just because had a injury riddled season doesn’t change that fact.

I have a similar top 10 to yours, aside from putting in Quinn and Askarov and taking out Lundell.

Lundell, Rossi, Perferti, Zary and Neighbors are all 13- 18 and interchangeable with Peterka and Mercer being 11 and 12 (depending on where you put those 3 - they can be swapped from 10-12)

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Peterka? Both Zary and Neighbors are having similar season to Rossi as well. Mercer is having a down year - and yet still has a similar season to Rossi’s - but already showed much more than Rossi did. Same for Perferti. Askarov is a G and still only 21 and is having a very strong season.

Jack Quinn is 100% ahead of Rossi - and ahead of a few others. Just because had a injury riddled season doesn’t change that fact.

I have a similar top 10 to yours, aside from putting in Quinn and Askarov and taking out Lundell.

Lundell, Rossi, Perferti, Zary and Neighbors are all 13- 18 and interchangeable with Peterka and Mercer being 11 and 12 (depending on where you put those 3 - they can be swapped from 10-12)
Quinn and Askarov shouldn’t be in the top 10. Goalies rarely go there for a reason and Askarov has showed nothing that says he should be there. Quinn’s injuries impact his value. He’s unproven.

Rossi is showing his floor is 50-60 pt two way center. That is going to carry more value than a 60pt winger every time. He is a true center and plays the game well as one. He isn’t flashy but he is very smart and it shows

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Quinn and Askarov shouldn’t be in the top 10. Goalies rarely go there for a reason and Askarov has showed nothing that says he should be there. Quinn’s injuries impact his value. He’s unproven.

Rossi is showing his floor is 50-60 pt two way center. That is going to carry more value than a 60pt winger every time. He is a true center and plays the game well as one. He isn’t flashy but he is very smart and it shows
Progression isn’t linear. How is his floor 50-60 points when he hasn’t even broken out of the 30’s yet? He also hasn’t shown yet he can even consistently do 30+ a season.

You’re getting ahead of yourself now.

Reactions: Grinner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad