Confirmed with Link: Marco Kasper joining Grand Rapids for remainder of season (Recalled to DET 03.30.23)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I can definitely see him and [non-bastard] Copp as a pair to start, assuming Kasper's in Detroit. Copp is a good veteran to learn from and who can allow Kasper to move into a center role as slowly or as quickly as his development dictates. Put a skill guy with them and you've got a line with some potential.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can definitely see him and [non-bastard] Copp as a pair to start, assuming Kasper's in Detroit. Copp is a good veteran to learn from and who can allow Kasper to move into a center role as slowly or as quickly as his development dictates. Put a skill guy with them and you've got a line with some potential.

In this scenario:

Kubalik-Larkin-Raymond
Kasper-Copp-Perron

If you go this route, are you OK with Veleno being your 3C? That is the only issue I have with putting Kasper and Copp on the same line. Ideally I think one is your 2C and one is your 3C.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
In this scenario:

Kubalik-Larkin-Raymond
Kasper-Copp-Perron

If you go this route, are you OK with Veleno being your 3C? That is the only issue I have with putting Kasper and Copp on the same line. Ideally I think one is your 2C and one is your 3C.
That's an entirely likely scenario as well. I think they'll go with what they think is best for Kasper's development, and then let the chips fall where they may. I can see them doing what I suggested but with Ras on the 3rd line, yeah.

I certainly don't like Veleno as 3C, but if they think it's best to put Kasper with Copp on line 2, so be it. Another option is re-signing Suter. I'm not the biggest fan, but he had a much better 2nd half than 1st half and does provide some ok center depth.

As for the lines you typed, I don't like Kubalik that high in the lineup. Dude has a good shot and can score some exciting goals, but he's too one-dimensional, and too inconsistent in that one dimension for my liking. Would sooner put Fabbri in that spot, for however long his zip-tied legs hold up. My dark horse is Carter Mazur.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Where do we think he starts next year and what kind of role?
GR with Mazur and Lombardi. We have plenty kids in Detroit: Veleno, Raymond, Zadina, Rasmussen, Seider, Berggren , most likely Edvinsson and Soderblom. I hope Yzerman brings kid developers In GR, meanwhile let's bring some Stanley cup experience players in Detroit.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That's an entirely likely scenario as well. I think they'll go with what they think is best for Kasper's development, and then let the chips fall where they may. I can see them doing what I suggested but with Ras on the 3rd line, yeah.

I certainly don't like Veleno as 3C, but if they think it's best to put Kasper with Copp on line 2, so be it. Another option is re-signing Suter. I'm not the biggest fan, but he had a much better 2nd half than 1st half and does provide some ok center depth.

As for the lines you typed, I don't like Kubalik that high in the lineup. Dude has a good shot and can score some exciting goals, but he's too one-dimensional, and too inconsistent in that one dimension for my liking. Would sooner put Fabbri in that spot, for however long his zip-tied legs hold up. My dark horse is Carter Mazur.
I would much rather sign Suter at $2m/yr than ROR for $6m+. Pius and Joe can keep running the bottom 6 until Copp gets yeeted down there.

Suter is a perfect 4th line center. He can play up if needed. He can play wing if needed. He can be scratched if needed. Good on the PK.

Only hangups are:
1. Would he take a pay cut? I don't like him north of $3M.
2. Would he be content with that kind of role? Or would he want to look for a bigger spot somewhere that might use him in the middle 6.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I would much rather sign Suter at $2m/yr than ROR for $6m+. Pius and Joe can keep running the bottom 6 until Copp gets yeeted down there.

Suter is a perfect 4th line center. He can play up if needed. He can play wing if needed. He can be scratched if needed. Good on the PK.

Only hangups are:
1. Would he take a pay cut? I don't like him north of $3M.
2. Would he be content with that kind of role? Or would he want to look for a bigger spot somewhere that might use him in the middle 6.
I'm confused as to why Detroit should be interested in ROR. I realized I've missed some discussion on that around here lately, so I'm sure it's been fleshed out, but I don't get it. But yeah, Suter over ROR, given expected price tags.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm confused as to why Detroit should be interested in ROR. I realized I've missed some discussion on that around here lately, so I'm sure it's been fleshed out, but I don't get it. But yeah, Suter over ROR, given expected price tags.
Some people believe he's just the right mercenary to guide us to the promised land.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm going to take this opportunity to again stump for Monahan. He has the skills to center either middle6 line, his cost and term should be very controlled, and it allows us to move Copp to either line. Also, because his cost/term should be pretty modest it would allow us to bury him on a lower line/smaller role if we still managed to land bigger fish elsewhere.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

we need a middle6 center and the options on the open market are pretty limited.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think he'll start on the wing and they'll gradually move him over to C.
I think the same but he will start on 2nd line and move to 3C shortly after he get's comfortable being in the league, of which could take a week or a month or months.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
In this scenario:

Kubalik-Larkin-Raymond
Kasper-Copp-Perron

For this scenario, I would think we would have gotten a 3C in FA and move copp to kasper's wing (like they had him in that one game) and just go with that, hoping for success.

Try to get JT compher in FA for the 3C and keep veleno on that 4th line. Even though, I would rather have Suter centering the 4th with czarnick and another guy like a Soderblom or maybe even luff. I really liked czarnick and luff on that 4th line. They did exactly what was asked of them and it looked like they had fun doing it.

Suter was great on the PK and think he should stay until we can get another better player.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
we need a middle6 center and the options on the open market are pretty limited.
To me, the market being thin is not reason enough to sign a bad contract, or a contract that potentially hinders the team, given where they are in the rebuild. ROR is 32, will not be cheap, and would likely want a term that leaves him with a problematic cap hit by the time the Wings are actually competing. We already have a questionable contract with Copp, and now we want to sign another one? For a guy 4 years older? Big pass.

Reactions: norrisnick

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

What is this?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'm going to take this opportunity to again stump for Monahan. He has the skills to center either middle6 line, his cost and term should be very controlled, and it allows us to move Copp to either line. Also, because his cost/term should be pretty modest it would allow us to bury him on a lower line/smaller role if we still managed to land bigger fish elsewhere.

No offence, but you saw that he got hurt again this year right? Mtl tried the one year reclamation year and he got hurt, and I am quite confident he is always going to be like that. Same way I feel about Fabbri at this point, as he has had too many major injuries, and I think the norm is them missing significant time.

Google ACAB

Ahh.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
To me, the market being thin is not reason enough to sign a bad contract, or a contract that potentially hinders the team, given where they are in the rebuild. ROR is 32, will not be cheap, and would likely want a term that leaves him with a problematic cap hit by the time the Wings are actually competing. We already have a questionable contract with Copp, and now we want to sign another one? For a guy 4 years older? Big pass.

I don't disagree, but I think the need for a center we can plug into that middle6 is a genuine need. We could always shift Rasmussen back to center, but he seemed to gain traction when moved to wing. We can agree that ROR isn't a guy we really want at what we expect his price point to be, but there's also good reason he's getting talked about with this free agent class.

No offence, but you saw that he got hurt again this year right? Mtl tried the one year reclamation year and he got hurt, and I am quite confident he is always going to be like that. Same way I feel about Fabbri at this point, as he has had too many major injuries, and I think the norm is them missing significant time.

Ahh.

Oh, I saw, which is why I would bet that his cap and term would be very controlled and manageable. I'm fine taking a two year gamble on that. I actually prefer that to a guy like ROR costing a lot more, or a guy like Compher who I think his ceiling is just waaaay lower.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
In this scenario:

Kubalik-Larkin-Raymond
Kasper-Copp-Perron

Tbh I don't think Veleno has a long term future on the team if it's NOT as a player capable of holding down the 3C spot. Him and Zadina both have "make or break" type seasons coming up.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
To me, the market being thin is not reason enough to sign a bad contract, or a contract that potentially hinders the team, given where they are in the rebuild. ROR is 32, will not be cheap, and would likely want a term that leaves him with a problematic cap hit by the time the Wings are actually competing.
Red Wings have 30 million in cap space, it can be weaponize to to sign O'Reilly with a short term deal. Why every expects that O'Reilly has to be signed +4 year deal? He's a prizefighter, give him enough money and he will be eating from our hands. 2 years, 15 or 16 million.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If Veleno became a Draper-like player, he could have a long term role on the team. He would have to become that shut down forward who has high FO% and score 10-15 goals per season and be able to play against the opposition's top line.

Not sure he has that ability.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Red Wings have 30 million in cap space, it can be weaponize to to sign O'Reilly with a short term deal. Why every expects that O'Reilly has to be signed +4 year deal? He's a prizefighter, give him enough money and he will be eating from our hands. 2 years, 15 or 16 million.
That's not really the "cap space weaponizing" people had in mind when they came up with that term. It's not buying UFAs for dumb deals. It's taking iffy contracts for semi-decent players and getting assets on top of it.

Acquiring Marc Staal + a 2nd round pick for nothing is weaponizing cap space.

Dropping $7M+/yr on ROR is just dumb.

Reactions: odin1981

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
That's not really the "cap space weaponizing" people had in mind when they came up with that term. It's not buying UFAs for dumb deals. It's taking iffy contracts for semi-decent players and getting assets on top of it.

Acquiring Marc Staal + a 2nd round pick for nothing is weaponizing cap space.

Dropping $7M+/yr on ROR is just dumb.
Why it cannot be called that? Red Wings has the room to pay that the player takes a short term deal, teams with less room in the cap can't answer that offer. I would call that cap space weaponizing as well.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If Kasper maxes out as a 3rd line center I think that would significantly hurt the rebuild we need him to be better than a 3rd liner if this core is going to try and go the distance.

Not a fan of signing huge contracts right now. Need to know where the core fills out before trying to fill vacancies. The big risk for me as that a huge singing declines to the crap side of their career and then becomes dead weight while the core's window opens up. I know a number one center is always useful. It's just that timing is everything in a CAP system.

Reactions: tyhee

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Why it cannot be called that? Red Wings has the room to pay that the player takes a short term deal, teams with less room in the cap can't answer that offer. I would call that cap space weaponizing as well.

Weaponizing cap space implies that you are using a resource to make your team better outside the scope of the player you are acquiring. What you are proposing actually makes the team worse outside the scope of the player you are acquiring. You limit the cap available to other players, you make a contract more immovable, you limit the return you can get, you increase the actual cost paid in salary or in retention, you set new bars for negotiation against internally with your own free agents.

You never approach free agency with the intention of winning a bidding war at any cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad