Post-Game Talk: Maple Leafs vs San Jose Sharks 7 PGT pg 21

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Brent Burns is even more talented than Iafrate. Guy is a total beast, we didn't even see his best weapon tonight, anyone ever watch his wrist shot? Insane. If I had that talent heck I might even grow that disgusting beard myself.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I think it's a statement on how annoying it is when people over-amplify a small sample size.

Especially when threads are full of: "oh hey where are all the people who said XXX?"

That being said, this loss could actually be a good thing. Tail end of a road trip where the team played well. Babcock said there'd be pain. This is one of those nights I guess. It's a turning-point loss they can learn from.

But what's there to learn from this? If you're giving a full effort and lose because of your mistakes, then sure, you can learn from your mistakes. Tonight, the team seems to have stalled after the first goal against and got beaten up. Phaneuf's fight couldn't energize them, though full marks to Dion for trying. The tank was empty and next week has similar scheduling with 3 games in 4 nights.

Like a lot of games this year and last, I don't watch it from start to finish. Whether they win or lose, I don't really "feel" anything as I think this is a long term process.

I find the short cutters and paraders more fun to debate than the realists.

Just think of the threads of the last two days. Sort of silly for a 27th place team to be talking playoffs and end of the rebuild just 3 months into the first season after "Scorched Earth" don't you think?

Hot goaltending makes any coach/team look good. That's what we were getting while getting more and more lax defensively. Figures that we'd have a game like this. I expect both Reimer and Bernier to struggle or at the very least not put up league-leading save percentage figures.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
But what's there to learn from this? If you're giving a full effort and lose because of your mistakes, then sure, you can learn from your mistakes. Tonight, the team seems to have stalled after the first goal against and got beaten up. Phaneuf's fight couldn't energize them, though full marks to Dion for trying. The tank was empty and next week has similar scheduling with 3 games in 4 nights.

I don't see why people have to read things into games. There is nothing to really learn from it. The best advice would be to forget it and move on.

Games are independent events. A win streak comes to an end. A losing streak is snapped. Ultimately, it's because they matched up well against the team they faced that night. Not because of some trend or "figuring something out."

This has always been a less than talented team. We have slipped back to 27th place… I know, games in hand and all that jazz… but right where we were expected to be.

Resist the urge to label all players as crap. They are trying their ***** off. The results will improve when the talent does and Lou, Dubas, Shanahan, Lemaire still have a lot of work to do over the next 5 years.

I think the emotional fans are the ones that read too much into the internet blogs and Corsi crap and think there is a short cut. There isn't. It's month 3 of Scorched Earth. Sit back. Time is the only thing that will help.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Huh, would of that he'd have been on the ice with Hunwick during that Karlsson goal

If I remember correctly I think Corrado was out there with Hunwick on that one?

Hunwick is really starting to bother me lately.

I used to watch him on Colorado and he was awful. Watching his first month or so with the Leafs I was pleasantly surprised and thought that his game had matured. Unfortunately, I am starting to see all the problems that annoyed me while he was on the Avalanche.

champs*

i think they were just giving everyone a break after playing with 5 d-men the night before. Trying to spread the minutes out?

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
They split the pairs up a fair bit tonight to accommodate Corrado.

Thats true, there were a lot of pairings thatI have not seen all year.

Rielly-Polak
Hunwick-Corrado
Gardiner-Rielly
Hunwick-Phaneuf

Im not surprised though. When you are down 5-0 you might as well try out some new things that you wouldnt be able to try in a close game.

I know he had a few mistakes but I actually liked watching Gardiner tonight. Hunwick like usual pinched aggressively without support and it burned us. Rielly did well against the Thornton. I commend Phaneuf for at least trying to spark the team with his fight in the 2nd.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 7-0 loss against San Jose on Saturday night.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
this is what happens when you have a team full of temps.

thats actually a great comment lol

half this team will be gone in due time - including the goalies :)

They're looking towards the future- and that future involves very little personnel of this current roster

everyone's getting all worked up but no one is trying to see the bigger picture - that this roster will be incredibly different in just a few short seasons. JVR? Reimer? Bernier? Bozak? these guys are just waiting to go and most of them probably will go

everyone's caught up in the here and now - Bernier is better, no Reimer is better-- yet all of that is just a small sideshow of what's about to happen

if internet forums had more patience and a better sense of patience and long-term outlook then maybe it could be taken seriously

OvenMittz*

I don't see why people have to read things into games. There is nothing to really learn from it. The best advice would be to forget it and move on.

Games are independent events. A win streak comes to an end. A losing streak is snapped. Ultimately, it's because they matched up well against the team they faced that night. Not because of some trend or "figuring something out."

This has always been a less than talented team. We have slipped back to 27th place… I know, games in hand and all that jazz… but right where we were expected to be.

Resist the urge to label all players as crap. They are trying their ***** off. The results will improve when the talent does and Lou, Dubas, Shanahan, Lemaire still have a lot of work to do over the next 5 years.

I think the emotional fans are the ones that read too much into the internet blogs and Corsi crap and think there is a short cut. There isn't. It's month 3 of Scorched Earth. Sit back. Time is the only thing that will help.
i'm with you.

All talks about "if we are in the playoffs we should hold on to so on so.." NO. Lets sacrifice the next 3 seasons and actually concentrate on doing it RIGHT for once.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Me thinks this game has more to do with one of those famous west coast off ice festivities the two nights preceding the game, than the game itself. Almost all of the players were skating like they were knee deep in sand. If any game screamed HEY WE ONLY GOT 3 HOURS SLEEP IN THE LAST 48 HOURS!!!!!! ....that game did.

Watching the game it was hard not to notice Jake sleeping on his skates last night or the billion times players skated by the puck with out actually getting the puck... chalk this one up to sun, sand, beer and pretty west coast women.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
i'm with you.

All talks about "if we are in the playoffs we should hold on to so on so.." NO. Lets sacrifice the next 3 seasons and actually concentrate on doing it RIGHT for once.

They've got the wrong coach for that, he's not going to scream and yell and throw timbits everywhere, they'll probably get 12 out of the next 16 points in January.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I guess we were due for a real stinker. Even elite teams have them once in a while, and our overachieving squad has been playing really well for 2 months.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Morgan Rielly, folks.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/thumbs-up-to-caps-thriller-leafs-rielly-1.420819

Thumbs up – seriously - to Maple Leafs defenceman Morgan Rielly, who did the seemingly impossible last night in San Jose. The stats sheet showed Rielly with 23:18 of playing time in Toronto’s 7-0 loss to the Sharks. And Rielly’s plus-minus rating was even, as in zero, meaning he was not in the ice for any of San Jose’s seven goals.

The combined minus number of Toronto’s other five defencemen was -13. A shorthanded San Jose goal against a Toronto power play featuring four forwards kept those Leaf blue liners from wearing a “perfect” -14.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
a little too much angst over out first stinker since the jets pounded us 6-1 to start december. these games happen. we've done it ourselves pounding the Kings 5-0 a month ago, or even beating the ducks 4-0 two games ago.

all that matters is how we bounce back.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Me thinks this game has more to do with one of those famous west coast off ice festivities the two nights preceding the game, than the game itself. Almost all of the players were skating like they were knee deep in sand. If any game screamed HEY WE ONLY GOT 3 HOURS SLEEP IN THE LAST 48 HOURS!!!!!! ....that game did.

Watching the game it was hard not to notice Jake sleeping on his skates last night or the billion times players skated by the puck with out actually getting the puck... chalk this one up to sun, sand, beer and pretty west coast women.

Nothing to do at all with the fact that this team is not good and will be falling down to earth really soon.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Watched the replay of the Brent Burns goal, only guy who even gave a bit of an effort was Dion.

Oh well as Zeke said, every team has games like this. I thought we might take the Sharks, but man, I am such a big believer in Brent Burns. Love to have this guy. On our buds.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Columbus on the second half of a back to back, in the ACC. Should be pretty easy.

On the other hand, nothing is ever easy for these Leafs.

I could see some jerseys being thrown if we lose by 4 or more.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Columbus on the second half of a back to back, in the ACC. Should be pretty easy.

On the other hand, nothing is ever easy for these Leafs.

I could see some jerseys being thrown if we lose by 4 or more.

How can you say it's easy? It's not like the Leafs are much better than them. Columbus still has more talent than us, wouldn't you say?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad