Post-Game Talk: Maple Leafs vs San Jose Sharks 7 PGT pg 21

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Maple Leafs-San Jose Sharks: Saturday game preview

The Sharks are the NHL’s worst home team, with a 5-12-0 record at the SAP Center.

By: Dave Feschuk Sports Columnist, Published on Fri Jan 08 2016

SAP CENTER

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV: CBC

Radio: Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Key matchup:Brent Burns vs. Leo Komarov.

Burns, a six-foot-five defenceman from Barrie, is the quarterback of a San Jose power play that ranks seventh in the NHL. Komarov is Toronto’s top penalty killer. When last these teams played, a 5-4 San Jose win at the Air Canada Centre last month, Burns scored the overtime winner along with picking up assists on a pair of power-play goals. Heading into Friday’s action, Burns led all NHL defencemen in power-play points with 17, including five goals. In the wake of Thursday’s 2-1 loss in L.A., in which Toronto’s penalty kill went 2-for-2, the Leafs’ man-short unit ranked 16th in the league with an 80.3 per cent success rate.

Home sour home: While the Sharks are among the NHL’s best road teams — heading into Friday only the Washington Capitals could boast more wins away from home than the Sharks, who’ve won 13 of 21 road outings. But the Sharks stand alone as the league’s worst home team with a 5-12-0 record at the SAP Center, where they’ve lost two straight. What’s behind the struggles? Burns offered a theory last month.

“Maybe the wives talk too much to us (at home),†Burns told reporters, laughing.

Score first: Among the reasons for the Sharks’ misery in their not-so-friendly confines? They’ve surrendered the first goal in 12 of their 17 home games. They’re 0-12 in those games. Perhaps the Leafs would do well to reverse a trend that has seen them outshot in the first period of their previous two Western road games by a combined total of 34-14.

Up next: Wednesday vs. Columbus, ACC, 7 p.m.

Last edited by a moderator:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the GDT, Budsfan..

Time to go shark hunting...!

Game Meal : BBQ'd Shark... m-m-m-m-m-m.. good..! :D

Batman-Shark-Attack_www.FullHDWpp.com_.jpg

Shark Tales: Leafs vs Sharks Montage - TML

GO LEAFS GO !!

Last edited:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Marlies won 3-0 last night, without Kapanen and/or Nylander back, yet... They play the Moose again today, at 8PM...

Jonas Siegel @jonasTSN1050
Story: The Marlies, with Sheldon Keefe at the helm, are on track for the best season in team history. tsn.ca/1.419644

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Projected Lines: (*Re: Sharks GDT)

LEAFS

Van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Parenteau
Grabner - Kadri - Komarov
Winnik - Arcobello - Lupul
Matthias - Holland - Boyes

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Hunwick - Rielly
Marincin - Polak

Starting Goalie: Bernier
Backup Goalie: Reimer

Injured: Robidas (lower body), Spaling (upper body), Froese (lower body)
Scratched: Bibeau, Corrado

SHARKS

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Nieto - Marleau - Ward
Karlsson - Couture - Donskoi
Wingers - Tierney - Brown

Vlasic - Braun
Martin - Burns
Dillon - DeMelo

Starting Goalie: Alex Stalock
Backup Goalie: Jones

Day to Day: Zubrus
Scratched: Brown, Tennyson

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Zubrus Likely Out For Sharks Against Maple Leafs

Friday, 01.08.2016 / 5:43 PM
Colin Stephenson - NHL.com Correspondent

MAPLE LEAFS (16-16-7) at SHARKS (18-18-2)

TV: CBC, CSN-CA

Season Series: The San Jose Sharks defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs 5-4 in overtime in Toronto on Dec. 17. Defenseman Brent Burns scored the winning goal. Burns and Joe Pavelski each had a goal and two assists, and Patrick Marleau had a goal and an assist. Center Peter Holland had a goal and an assist for Toronto; Daniel Winnik had two assists.

Maple Leafs Team Scope: Toronto, which concludes a three-game California trip, had its three-game winning streak end with a 2-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings on Thursday and could start Jonathan Bernier in net. Bernier, who was 0-8-3 after getting the loss against San Jose, is 6-2-0 since, and has won his past three starts, making 39 saves in each game.

Goaltender James Reimer returned from a groin injury and made 39 saves on Thursday. "I thought [Reimer] was good, all in all," Toronto coach Mike Babcock told the Toronto Sun. After the game, Reimer said he didn't feel "any ill effects at all" from his injury. The Maple Leafs are 14-8-3 since a 2-8-4 start to the season.

Sharks Team Scope: San Jose recalled center Chris Tierney from the San Jose Barracuda of the American Hockey League on Friday and he is expected to play. Sharks coach Pete DeBoer told the San Jose Mercury News that forward Dainius Zubrus has a minor injury and is day-to-day.

DeBoer also tweaked his forward lines at practice and had Tomas Hertl on the top line with Pavelski and Joe Thornton. "I think it’s time, we're at the point of the season where we need some production," DeBoer said. "Not just Tomas Hertl, but a lot of those guys. They know how we want to play and they know the expectation. We're at the point of the season now where if you're getting 12, 14, 15 minutes a night, we need some production and the good teams get that." This is the finale of a five-game homestand for San Jose, which is 1-3-0 in the first four games.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Projected Lines: (*Re: Sharks GDT)

LEAFS

Van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Parenteau
Grabner - Kadri - Komarov
Winnik - Arcobello - Lupul
Matthias - Holland - Boyes

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Hunwick - Rielly
Marincin - Polak

Starting Goalie: Bernier
Backup Goalie: Reimer

Injured: Robidas (lower body), Spaling (upper body), Froese (lower body)
Scratched: Bibeau, Corrado

SHARKS

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Nieto - Marleau - Ward
Karlsson - Couture - Donskoi
Wingers - Tierney - Brown

Vlasic - Braun
Martin - Burns
Dillon - DeMelo

Starting Goalie: Alex Stalock
Backup Goalie: Jones

Day to Day: Zubrus
Scratched: Brown, Tennyson

Another backup goalie?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Another backup goalie?

As I listed above, this is from the Sharks HF Boards GDT, so I have no idea if it is correct... They have a lot of typos in it (even more than I usually make.. LOL!), so we will have to wait for the pre-game skate, I guess..

He's already played 10 games this season for them, though...

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Is this the first time the leafs have a played a team they have more points than since they played Columbus early in the season?

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
The one day I could use a 10 pm game :facepalm:

I don't know how to watch this and host a dinner party but looks like I'll have to find a way :laugh:

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
put your tablet in a ziploc bag. Hem it down so it gives you a nice clean viewing set up. Conceal with a 2 inch high wall of mashed potatoes and keep on your plate

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
why is holland stuck on the 4th line?

Because he runs out of breathable oxygen after 25 seconds on the ice? I like the guy, but he literally loses all his steam half a minute into his shift. Man has no lungs whatsoever.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
HNIC's low overall viewership dictates moving the Leafs game up to 7 pm despite the boys playing out west.

The rest of Canada will be nice and salty.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Simple solution:

1. Buy ipad
2. Fake illness
3. Watch entire periods from bathroom

:laugh: I wish but I'm the one making and serving all the food so my parents can relax and sit. But there will definitely be frequent trips to the bathroom, and I'll probably just stay in the kitchen and watch on my phone :laugh: desperate times

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
:laugh: I wish but I'm the one making and serving all the food so my parents can relax and sit. But there will definitely be frequent trips to the bathroom, and I'll probably just stay in the kitchen and watch on my phone :laugh: desperate times

Put the game on the TV,you'll be the hit of the party.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
why is holland stuck on the 4th line?

I think he'll probably play on the 3rd line with Winnik and Lupul.

Last game he was also projected as the 4th line center according to some people's lines, but he played on the 3rd.

Seems like a mistake that nobody has bothered to fix.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

Do you have a PVR?

Can you just record the game and watch it after?

Or use Kodi + phoenix TV to watch a replay tomorrow morning.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for the GDT, Budsfan..

Time to go shark hunting...!

Game Meal : BBQ'd Shark... m-m-m-m-m-m.. good..! :D

Batman-Shark-Attack_www.FullHDWpp.com_.jpg

Shark Tales: Leafs vs Sharks Montage - TML

GO LEAFS GO !!

LOL Seer. Your picture is making me think of Adam West Batman and the Bat shark repellent.
Holy Giant Makeral Batman!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sharks are 4th last and don't even have their own pick (no protection).

Know that feeling all too well.

I just threw up in my mouth thinking about that. Sharks have no bite and are ripe for the fishing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad