GDT: Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins 7 PM CBC

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I can't understand why Marincin keeps getting minutes based on some stats. I understand that the longer you control the puck the less chances your opponent will get but come on, when he does turn it over or has a lapse it generally leads to a very, very good scoring opportunity for the opponent.

Does he do it on purpose? I mean not giving the media anything to report on. Marincin was bad, the whole group when on defense was very sloppy tonight, Bernier looked unaware, zoned out tonight and gave up too much for the Bruins and they cashed in on those opportunities. I don't know what everyone else saw but that's my take, if I'm wrong please enlighten me.

Man he sounded defeated ...and when he refers to Bernier he says ..the goalie did well... does he hate Burns so much he cant say his name ..LOL ... :)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
the only significant change they've ultimately did was install Chia up there. I'll stand corrected if they made other true changes. But Lowe is still there, MacTavish is still there. Katz (who has basically stated he wants something akin to the 80's Oilers team) is still there. They haven't truly addressed their scouting (one of their biggest buggaboos). they haven't traded any one of their golden children which - while their contracts are high, I would imagine would have a lot of value (vs. ours with Bozak/Dion/Lupul, which do not).

they to me, have just shuffled the deck chairs.

Toronto as we know, pretty much fired everyone and started all over again managerial wise. Now we don't know if they are "better" or not, but at least significant change in every area (scouting and managing, analytics, you name it, it got changed), has happened.

i also didn't say that we were better than them, (and I certainly wouldn't have said that they are better than us).just that I don't think they have the guts to trade one of the pieces their truly need to help their team. i would be shocked if they ever did.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=33068

Shanahan and Nicholson hired at the same time, actually Shanahan about 2 months earlier.
Chiarelli signed April 2015, Lou Lam was hired later and implement his no-facial hair policy. :sarcasm:

Check the hiring dates of the Oilers management group.

Certainly, the old guard has been retained in some capacity, like Fletcher and cronies still hang around the Leafs.

And both teams hired top rated coaches this season.

Scouting? Leafs kept Morrison ...

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Are we saying that the Leafs purged the club? Scouts? Sure. GM? Yep. Coach? Yep.

MLSE still runs them right?

Case dismissed.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I find it bizarre that so many are shocked / surprised at the Leafs struggles.

This is a terrible roster, and this is a rebuild.

It's also bizarre how many people are defending Marincin's play late last night. If you panic and fail to make a simple, routine break out pass that you've probably made 1000 times in your young career so far, then you probably shouldn't be in the league.

He cost us the point. Simple.

I think the coaches challenge is a joke, both tonight and yesterday the offside (I agree they were both offside upon close review) had essentially nothing to do with the play and should still count if the linesmen at the time thought it was onside. Interference or egregious off sides should be called back but these plays are terrible for the game.

I would guess that the coach's challenge for offsides is reviewed at the GM's meetings coming up.

It just doesn't seem like using them for those borderline offside calls are in keeping with the spirit or reason for introducing the challenges in the first place

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The greatest disappointment, ultimately, is to watch the value of guys like Grabner and Parenteau go down, down, down...
GMs are people too, there's always one or two who will get caught up in the hype at deadline time and fork over a 3rd if a guy is on a hot streak. You could lump them all in a bag if they keep playing like this and not get jack.

GMs are always looking for depth when pushing for the playoffs. That's why there's always a rental market.

Parenteau, Grabner, Polak et al won't be Leafs after the deadline. The only thing left to determine is what sort of return the Leafs will get.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I find it bizarre that so many are shocked / surprised at the Leafs struggles.

This is a terrible roster, and this is a rebuild.

It's also bizarre how many people are defending Marincin's play late last night. If you panic and fail to make a simple, routine break out pass that you've probably made 1000 times in your young career so far, then you probably shouldn't be in the league.

He cost us the point. Simple.

This is what is going to happen with most if not all the youngsters who are promoted. How many times did Kadri hear about giving away the puck in dangerous areas? Years and years, and now at age 25 he's being credited with player a much smarter game, and he's at an easier position than defense.

Nylander is very likely to be making mistakes, as is every other youngster.

I would guess that the coach's challenge for offsides is reviewed at the GM's meetings coming up.

It just doesn't seem like using them for those borderline offside calls are in keeping with the spirit or reason for introducing the challenges in the first place

How about a stick that is maybe above the crossbar on a goal?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is what is going to happen with most if not all the youngsters who are promoted. How many times did Kadri hear about giving away the puck in dangerous areas? Years and years, and now at age 25 he's being credited with player a much smarter game, and he's at an easier position than defense.

Nylander is very likely to be making mistakes, as is every other youngster.

How about a stick that is maybe above the crossbar on a goal?

Babcock said it himself in his interview.
As much as we like the young players and as high as some of their skill is, expect to get worse when we start filtering them into the lineup.
They will need to learn and make many mistakes over 82 games.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Leafs are actually worse than I thought they'd be, but I expected Bernier to be okay not 6 and 12, with an .899.

Although I too didn't think that Bernier will have the type of issues with confidence he had this year but I on the other hand expected them to be way worst than they're actually playing when it was predetermined that in camp no youngsters will have the opportunity to earn jobs regardless if they're ready.

When you have on one team 5 has-been fillers that can't be good... It hasn't been good because the team would be much better if they looked within instead of the has-beens. I guess it's management protecting there pick from the Babcock effect wanting at least 1 more high pick before they actually start looking within.;)

It's a throwaway year where the Leafs have put the rebuild on hold. It's why my boys and I have put our boys night out once a month attending Leaf games on hold as well.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a goal disallowed on a challenge for an offside. And it was bound to happen last night as the line work was pretty terrible with several missed offsides and offsides that weren't offsides.

Regarding the penalty call on a retroactively dead play, I'd guess the reasoning is the following. What if instead of hooking the Boston player, Hunwick had taken a two hander or high sticked him or boarded him? No one would suggest such a foul isn't still a penalty just because the play is dead, NHL players don't get to commit free fouls after the whistle is blown. Where do you draw the line? A hooking call is just a less dangerous foul but still a foul.

Dave Morrison is still with the Leafs but has been sent over to pro scouting which for a long time amateur scouting guy is a demotion.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't know why Lupul isn't sharing some of the blame on that winning goal. That play was right in front of him. It was obvious that the Boston player could not under any circumstances get clean control of that puck before Bernier made it back into the crease. And Lupul was in position to at the very least tie up Marchand's stick.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Babcock said it himself in his interview.
As much as we like the young players and as high as some of their skill is, expect to get worse when we start filtering them into the lineup.
They will need to learn and make many mistakes over 82 games.

Everybody makes mistakes during a course of an 82 game schedule and even the best of the best go through a tough stretch during the course of the year when things don't go well. Just because they're young doesn't mean they will be mistake filled to the point it affects there ability to compete and be good players. The one thing this organization almost has never done is go young & look within to fill roster spots that is the single reason why this organization has constantly been chasing there tail taking 1 step forward 2 steps back wasting valuable development time at the NHL level in the process then trading away said youngsters only to watch them thrive on other teams.

I was not happy and still not happy that no young guy was rewarded out of camp being way better than some of these has-beens fillers... There's always next year I guess lord knows I've waited a long time to see this organization to do right by the youngsters so hopefully it starts next year.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Everybody makes mistakes during a course of an 82 game schedule and even the best of the best go through a tough stretch during the course of the year when things do go well. Just because they're young doesn't mean they will be mistake filled to the point it affects there ability to compete and be good players. The one thing this organization almost has never done is go young & look within to fill roster spots that is the single reason why this organization has constantly been chasing there tail taking 1 step forward 2 steps back wasting valuable development time at the NHL level.

This is what Babcock said in his interview. Expect to get worse. Not what I'm saying, what the coach said.
Doesn't mean they are not going to play, doesn't mean he has no intention of playing them. Doesn't mean that Bergeron/Kopitar/Doughty etc. Don't make mistakes. Only what he said.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
The greatest disappointment, ultimately, is to watch the value of guys like Grabner and Parenteau go down, down, down...
GMs are people too, there's always one or two who will get caught up in the hype at deadline time and fork over a 3rd if a guy is on a hot streak. You could lump them all in a bag if they keep playing like this and not get jack.

A greater disappointment would be those guys playing well, giving us 3rd rounders at the TDL but costing us better odds for a number 1 centre in Auston Mathews or elite goal scorer, Patrik Laine.

I'm sorry but no one on this teams "value upping" is worth losing out on the best odds for Mathews.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
This is what Babcock said in his interview. Expect to get worse. Not what I'm saying, what the coach said.
Doesn't mean they are not going to play, doesn't mean he has no intention of playing them. Doesn't mean that Bergeron/Kopitar/Doughty etc. Don't make mistakes. Only what he said.

Oh I know that's what he said... What I'm saying is to expect the unexpected.... The key to every rebuilds success begins with goaltending keeping teams in games and ends with the coaching staff/ management doing right by the youngsters.

Excpecting things to get worst is all about tempering expectations... Trust me the opposite will happen when they start to add some of the vary good youngsters they have and I'm not even talking about the sexy ones of Marner & Nylander either.

These past few years it's been all the UFA's and vets that have sucked not the kids. These vets all have a snowball effect where struggles effects them mentally because it's there wife & kids they think of that hampers them in this market to go through tough stretches. The Pressures of playing in this market are vary real but NOT for the youth. They're just happy to be in the NHL and are hungry to stay in the NHL. Kids don't have wife & kids to think about so there focus is about getting better facing challenges head on almost delusional to prove people wrong. Struggles don't effect the compete in youth frankly it's the opposite they start to work harder. Vets on the other hand the heads get swelled up with worries that go's right to there legs. Again the key is goaltending. As long as you get goaltending to keep teams in games going young will have a much more positive effect than people expect even prompt up vets to get there heads straight when struggling.;)

Last edited:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
A greater disappointment would be those guys playing well, giving us 3rd rounders at the TDL but costing us better odds for a number 1 centre in Auston Mathews or elite goal scorer, Patrik Laine.

I'm sorry but no one on this teams "value upping" is worth losing out on the best odds for Mathews.

A 2% extra chance of getting Matthews (the difference between 3rd last and 2nd last) is way less likely to have an impact than the difference between a 3rd and a 2nd for Parenteau/Polak, or the difference between a 2nd and a 1st for Bozak/Komarov.

We've already been too good, and will continue to be too good to finish dead last. The difference between 3rd and 2nd or between 4th and 3rd last is often 6-10 points. Getting 3-5 more wins is going to do way more for building for the future by increasing our asset's value than a 2% increased lottery chance.

How dumb are you going to feel if we get **** value for all our UFAs and then the team that finishes just ahead of us in the rankings wins the lottery?

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Gabriel426;112328073[B said:
]Seriously, do u expect the coach to come out and say player x was crap, so was player y[/B].....that's how you lose the locker room and get fired. If he is unhappy with certain players, he will just bench them, no point blaming them for media sake.

I think that given previous coaches, some are used to that sort of thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad