Injury Report: Maple Leafs' Petter Granberg on waivers, Reimer Lower body?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Right, forgot about that. Maybe they send him down right away then. That'd probably give them the best shot at sneaking him through, another team may not want to make a claim on a guy coming off of such a major injury.

And really if he's claimed, are we going to be really upset? He's a guy I'd love to have on our team, but we have so many guys fighting for spots and it's not like Granberg is on the top of list or anything. He may be on waivers next year too.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
And really if he's claimed, are we going to be really upset? He's a guy I'd love to have on our team, but we have so many guys fighting for spots and it's not like Granberg is on the top of list or anything. He may be on waivers next year too.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too bummed tbh, just sucks to lose young assets, even if there are many guys above them on the depth chart.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I've always been impressed with Granberg's play on the Marlies but never too excited about his play with the Leafs.

How does he stack up vs. Harrington, Marincin and Corrado?

I haven't seen Corrado play, but both Harrington and Marincin seem to be more mobile and better at moving the puck than Granberg. I think Granberg tops out as a #6, Polak-type dman at best (stay-at-home, pk kind of guy that doesn't look too bad against 3rd/4th lines).

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think they are trying to sneak him through, so he can play with the Marlies and we do have Corrado ahead of him.

Ah ok. Did not realised he needed waivers to play for the Marlies.

If that´s the case it makes sense. Think he got some bottom pairing potential for us. And he is a rightie.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He's a righty, and he looked ready a couple seasons ago, injuries have slowed his progress down though. He will need some time to get back into game shape...

if a team needed a #7, you'd think they would take a flyer on him and let him get into game shape like corrado did, send him to the ahl, for conditioning then bring him back up and let him sit for an opportunity. He showed great potential in the past.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Damn this sucks. Can we just dump Phaneuf and Polak now. They're just wasting roster spots. They will not be in our long term future.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Then again... Who knows what new management thinks of Petter. With a new focus on skill and puck possession/being the best defence... It makes you wonder if petter isn't high on managements list. Harrington/corrado/marincin.... And Percy in the minors. It looks like a very long way to getting into torontos lineup.

How's granbergs speed, passing and possession ability? I know he's been heralded for his defensive play, but that seems to be something the leafs feel is teachable while the aforementioned isn't so much.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Damn this sucks. Can we just dump Phaneuf and Polak now. They're just wasting roster spots. They will not be in our long term future.

Phaneuf is wasting a roster spot?

Sure, let's go with that. :Shakehead:

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Coming off of a serious injury nobody is going to claim him to help him through h

He's a righty, and he looked ready a couple seasons ago, injuries have slowed his progress down though. He will need some time to get back into game shape...

if a team needed a #7, you'd think they would take a flyer on him and let him get into game shape like corrado did, send him to the ahl, for conditioning then bring him back up and let him sit for an opportunity. He showed great potential in the past.

It will take a long time to fully recover from his injury. No one is going to claim him to help with his recovery

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
anyone who claims him has to keep him on their NHL roster.

nobody is going to do that.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Phaneuf is playing very good hockey right now, his shot still is just that, a shot, but he is playing really well now. I bet we could get something decent for him at the TDL now.

I bet P.A. Parenteau could fetch something nice too, he is playing like a smart Berezin right now.

Babcock is great at turning players around. He and Hunter could literally create a machine together to attract trades for picks. I feel sorry for Marlies players now, they must live in fright of never making the parent team.

At one time a Brendan Leipsic could go to sleep at night and KNOW he is going to make the Leafs, he cannot be like that now.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In retrospect a pretty meh trade.

It was a gamble that he'd turn into a useful asset a d so far it looks like that isn't happening. Losing the prospects isn't great but most of them seemed to be pretty underwhelming so far (I get the sense Hunter was t terribly impressed by the state of he Leafs prospect pool when he was first hired).

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Phaneuf is playing very good hockey right now, his shot still is just that, a shot, but he is playing really well now. I bet we could get something decent for him at the TDL now.

I bet P.A. Parenteau could fetch something nice too, he is playing like a smart Berezin right now.

Babcock is great at turning players around. He and Hunter could literally create a machine together to attract trades for picks. I feel sorry for Marlies players now, they must live in fright of never making the parent team.

At one time a Brendan Leipsic could go to sleep at night and KNOW he is going to make the Leafs, he cannot be like that now.

Babcock loves Phaneuf, and he's fully bought into the system now... so I really doubt he gets moved.

Basically, if they're not a UFA or RFA next year, they're coming back, IMO. Not that all the UFAs/RFAs will be traded.

But back on topic, nobody is claiming Granberg. He's coming off a major injury, and nobody is going to take the risk of having him on roster while recovering.

...maybe Vancouver.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
nobody is going to claim him to rehab on their NHL roster.

he'd likely clear waivers even if healthy. He's not even a clear cut top 4 AHL defenseman.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
How's granbergs speed, passing and possession ability? I know he's been heralded for his defensive play, but that seems to be something the leafs feel is teachable while the aforementioned isn't so much.

Based on his skillset, I'm not sure if he'll be able to play Babcock's system. Then again, Polak seems to be able to stay in the lineup, despite passing and puck possession not being his strength. Before Granberg's achilles injury, I would have said his mobility is average/maybe a little below average for the NHL. Who knows how long it will take him to get back to that level, if he ever does.

In retrospect a pretty meh trade.

It was a gamble that he'd turn into a useful asset a d so far it looks like that isn't happening. Losing the prospects isn't great but most of them seemed to be pretty underwhelming so far (I get the sense Hunter was t terribly impressed by the state of he Leafs prospect pool when he was first hired).

Which trade are you referring to?

mikebel111*

nobody is going to claim him to rehab on their NHL roster.

he'd likely clear waivers even if healthy. He's not even a clear cut top 4 AHL defenseman.

Percy made him look good.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
couldn't they have had Granberg on a conditioning stint? Putting him on waivers means they can keep him there longer but he has to clear first(which he probably will)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad