Injury Report: Maple Leafs' Petter Granberg on waivers, Reimer Lower body?

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Tough break. Like many here, I expected him to compete for a roster spot this fall. Missing training camp and summer training is going to be really rough.

Hopefully he heals up properly, and doesn't have any long term issues.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Very difficult injury to ever really get back 100% from. Biggs will fighting through the same condition. I wonder if this changes the depth enough for the Leafs to influence the draft at all.

In any case, here's an opportunity for the younger guns like Valiev, Finn, Nilson, Loov to step up for the Marlies as T.J. Brennan is likely Grannberg's replacement call-up to the Leafs.

For a guy who is not an elite skater, I'm hoping that this doesn't cost him a shot at an NHL career, never mind a spot in the NHL next season.

Also, just being picky, but Loov is only 4 months younger than Granberg.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
For a guy who is not an elite skater, I'm hoping that this doesn't cost him a shot at an NHL career, never mind a spot in the NHL next season.

Also, just being picky, but Loov is only 4 months younger than Granberg.

Good point. I see Loov needing still to refine his game in the AHL this season. He showed tons of potential but also some learning curve issues in the series against GR. His suspension and then jittery play in the last game are challenges for him to learn and build from going forward. His game is still young.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Really sucks.

It's One of those injuries that you may never be the same afterward. Had a co-worker have the exact same injury, had the surgery, 10 years later, still walks funny.

Wish him all the best.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
How did this injury occur in the first place?

Someone stepped on his foot while he was falling back. Hell, maybe he stepped forward awkwardly and his back foot was flat when stepping and with his heel touching ground, it toor the Achilles. Or maybe he was skating and had it sliced by someone.

All possible scenarios.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Good to see he'll be back soon. Should be a nice boost to an already deep and dangerous Marlies team.

MadSnowman42

Jul 23, 2015
Good thing that the Leafs don't have a logjam on defence already. Does coming of a torn achilles' tendon act as enough of a deterrent that we can safely pass Granberg through waivers?

KGL

Sep 5, 2014
Good thing that the Leafs don't have a logjam on defence already. Does coming of a torn achilles' tendon act as enough of a deterrent that we can safely pass Granberg through waivers?

I think he'll make it through. Leafs will be able to put him on a conditioning stint with the Marlies for a couple weeks at the very least until they decide what they want to do with him.

MadSnowman42

Jul 23, 2015
I think he'll make it through. Leafs will be able to put him on a conditioning stint with the Marlies for a couple weeks at the very least until they decide what they want to do with him.
Let's hope so. The problem with a conditioning stint is that he would still count against the NHL roster.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
I kind of forgot all about Granberg!

Glad to hear he's recovering well.

KGL

Sep 5, 2014
Let's hope so. The problem with a conditioning stint is that he would still count against the NHL roster.

Right, forgot about that. Maybe they send him down right away then. That'd probably give them the best shot at sneaking him through, another team may not want to make a claim on a guy coming off of such a major injury.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I've always been impressed with Granberg's play on the Marlies but never too excited about his play with the Leafs.

How does he stack up vs. Harrington, Marincin and Corrado?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've always been impressed with Granberg's play on the Marlies but never too excited about his play with the Leafs.

How does he stack up vs. Harrington, Marincin and Corrado?

I've liked Harrington more. I haven't seen Corrado this year yet and Maincin has been brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad