Injury Report: Maple Leafs' Petter Granberg on waivers, Reimer Lower body?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
flipping-table-gif.gif

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Pretty terrible news. On the bright side, he could recover in time for the beginning of next season... on the dark side, he's going to miss a full summer of training. Bummer.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well, he may have just cost himself a roster spot.

He seemed to be a lock for a spot out of camp. Now, when he returns, he'll likely be sent down, and may not see the NHL next season.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
poor thing :(
I don't think this is what Babcock meant in regards to "Pain is Coming"

Chevboyarsky

Oct 23, 2014
Well, he may have just cost himself a roster spot.

He seemed to be a lock for a spot out of camp. Now, when he returns, he'll likely be sent down, and may not see the NHL next season.

I'm not sure that he was.

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Polak
Robidas -

I have pretty heavy doubts that Phaneuf gets moved and I think a few guys will get a look for the last spot under Babcock. He was a big fan of Xavier Ouellet in DET so I'm guessing Percy was the front runner. Erixon is also an option and is RFA.

Anyway if he's good enough and in the plans a Nov/Dec return is still possible.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Ouch. It usually takes at least half a year to come back from that. We probably won't see him till late November/December.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
That's a tough break for him.

At least the season doesn't start for another 4 months, so hopefully he'll be fully healed (or close) by the time the season starts.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
this sucks, RHD is the weakest position on our depth chart. Hes gonna miss an entire summer of training for a crucial year in his development, this was likely gonna be his first full season as a leaf.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I doubt he even had a roster spot next year anyways. He and Percy were going to start in the minors, but now he may be brought along even slower. I had him on the Leafs by next years TDL, but now it may be longer. At least 2016-2017 he can come up with a long list of players (Percy, Nylander, Brown, Leipsic, etc.)

He'll probably be good by the start of the AHL season though. It's just he won't really be hitting the ground running. We have good depth on defense, so that's not bad... Enough where we can still trade some and be solid.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
That really sucks. I saw him as a likely starter out of camp but not after this news. Hopefully it doesn't affect his mobility too much going forward and he manages to play himself onto the roster again next year.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Very difficult injury to ever really get back 100% from. Biggs will fighting through the same condition. I wonder if this changes the depth enough for the Leafs to influence the draft at all.

In any case, here's an opportunity for the younger guns like Valiev, Finn, Nilson, Loov to step up for the Marlies as T.J. Brennan is likely Grannberg's replacement call-up to the Leafs.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Very difficult injury to ever really get back 100% from. Biggs will fighting through the same condition. I wonder if this changes the depth enough for the Leafs to influence the draft at all.

In any case, here's an opportunity for the younger guns like Valiev, Finn, Nilson, Loov to step up for the Marlies as T.J. Brennan is likely Grannberg's replacement call-up to the Leafs.

It wouldn't influence their selection with a given pick, if that's what you mean. But it would affect his trade value if they were doing a deal for picks.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
I remember some posters stating that tom nilsson was the better RHD D-man of the two. Nevertheless, that sucks. He also needs a new contract for next year as well.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Ouch.

Really tough luck, at the worst possible time.

Even if he can get back to 100%, missing an entire summer of training is going to affect him right through next season, and possibly his long-term development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad