Recalled/Assigned: Maple Leafs have recalled forward Kyle Clifford from the Toronto Marlies (AHL)

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Foligno has been pretty active in terms of hitting and fighting lately, so I assume Clifford is drawing in to somewhat dampen Folignos antics.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Foligno has been pretty active in terms of hitting and fighting lately, so I assume Clifford is drawing in to somewhat dampen Folignos antics.

If so, then why do we have Simmonds on the roster?

I am all for toughness and payback and all that jazz... but that has to be the mentality of team as a whole, not a guy who's not even really a part of the roster. Anyway, if he is here for that, I hope he is able to bring it.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Keefe is tired of his team being pushed around and I don’t blame him. If an opponent take a cheap shot on the Leafs players, send the fourth line out against the opponent and show him/them that there is a price to pay for that. They need to start sending that message now because any team they meet in the playoffs will try the same tactics that have worked 5 years in a row to beat them in the first round.

Reactions: Rubyblue

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Are we to assume Clifford plays tonight? Who comes out?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Keefe is tired of his team being pushed around and I don’t blame him. If an opponent take a cheap shot on the Leafs players, send the fourth line out against the opponent and show him/them that there is a price to pay for that. They need to start sending that message now because any team they meet in the playoffs will try the same tactics that have worked 5 years in a row to beat them in the first round.
Matty and Willy are plenty strong enough to take care of themselves .. you might be shocked to realize how strong those 2 guys are? .. unfortunately they don't have a mean bone in their bodies .. in playoffs you have to play mean .. every puck is your puck and every loose puck is yours too .. Mitch and Riels are just not innately strong guys which you see in their muffin shots .. they have to be taken care of around ice by others .. bottom line team toughness can only work with a few weaklinks .. we have a few too many

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Clifford and Muzzin... Can't believe how much these guys have fell off since their cup winning days in LA.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Well that's it then, we are off to the cup finals with this move. I still think a room problem exists. Other than Spezza, no one on this team motivates. JT it appears is no longer effective for unknown reasons. Clifford is old friend of Dubas and carries tales I am sure.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Clifford isn't called up to motivate anyone or even to play.

he's up because with the muzzin ltir there's no reason not to carry more extra players. doesn't effect the cap at all.

he's just an injury extra.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Wild are a physical bunch and they were overly physical against us in Minnesota. This move is a response for that.
I have an idea…. trade for Crouse and let him deliver the message personally. :)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Clifford is playing at all against the Wild I think it will be for face punching purposes when Marcus Foligno and Ryan Hartman start running around on guys.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Just praying we don’t lose any more of our core players. Muzzin is doable for now, but any of our core guys lost, could be devastating.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Why? Would much rather have Steeves and Anderson up here in place of Simmonds, Clifford and Engvall

Because they actually care that steeves and Anderson get playing time and don't just sit in the press box.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Matty and Willy are plenty strong enough to take care of themselves .. you might be shocked to realize how strong those 2 guys are? .. unfortunately they don't have a mean bone in their bodies .. in playoffs you have to play mean .. every puck is your puck and every loose puck is yours too .. Mitch and Riels are just not innately strong guys which you see in their muffin shots .. they have to be taken care of around ice by others .. bottom line team toughness can only work with a few weaklinks .. we have a few too many
Playing him on the 4th line really does not hurt the team at all. Most good teams have toughness throughout the lineup but that’s not happening with Dubas as GM. At least answering the bell with the 4th line if necessary may allow their top lines to be a bit braver. How long can we see them getting mugged with no response? Might as well just concede another 1st round exit if that’s the case.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
the Leafs right now are playing like a team that needs a line brawl to crystallize the group. May as well have a couple of guys in it that can keep them from all getting pounded

We don't need the Wild leaving town with all that core 4 lunch money.

Reactions: ToneDog

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Playing him on the 4th line really does not hurt the team at all. Most good teams have toughness throughout the lineup but that’s not happening with Dubas as GM. At least answering the bell with the 4th line if necessary may allow their top lines to be a bit braver. How long can we see them getting mugged with no response? Might as well just concede another 1st round exit if that’s the case.

Our 4th line is a massive negative with him on it, so it definitely hurts our team. Maybe not 'a lot', since it is the 4th line and they rarely play anyways, but the man is bad at everything including physicality at this point. He goes out there, skates around a little bit (mostly in his own end because his line gets hemmed in constantly) and then comes back to the bench and repeats it like a dozen times. Doesn't even lay out hits anymore and brings absolutely no energy or intensity with his play at all.

Honestly, Clifford looks like a guy who is collecting his last NHL paycheque and is ready to retire next year. His heart and body just doesn't look in it anymore, and I doubt he has any interest in slumming it in the AHL beyond this year. Maybe he would be interested in an experience like playing in Switzerland for a couple of years, but that wouldn't be about the money or even the love of hockey based on how he has looked with both the Leafs and the Marlies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
This team is so soft and other teams keep pounding them game in and game out that I will take him on the 4th line when needed. He and Simmonds on the same line and create a bit of a pack mentality, hell, even Spezza stands up for his teammates more than most on this team.

He doesn't need to score, just don't be a defensive liability, throw some hits and be there in case he needs to protect someone. We can't avoid the reality of the NHL, it isn't evolving as fast as it should and every one of the core skates away from any confrontation.

It's a real bad look to be honest, "stand up for yourself man". You don't need to fight (maybe sometimes you should), but you have to stop backing down in the face of some clown pushing you around after the whistle. They need to add the DNA of players who refuse to back down. We all know this but we pretend otherwise.

Not my rules guys, it's just the reality of hockey and it will continue deeper into the mud in a couple of months.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
This team is so soft and other teams keep pounding them game in and game out that I will take him on the 4th line when needed. He and Simmonds on the same line and create a bit of a pack mentality, hell, even Spezza stands up for his teammates more than most on this team.

He doesn't need to score, just don't be a defensive liability, throw some hits and be there in case he needs to protect someone. We can't avoid the reality of the NHL, it isn't evolving as fast as it should and every one of the core skates away from any confrontation.

It's a real bad look to be honest, "stand up for yourself man". You don't need to fight (maybe sometimes you should), but you have to stop backing down in the face of some clown pushing you around after the whistle. They need to add the DNA of players who refuse to back down. We all know this but we pretend otherwise.

Not my rules guys, it's just the reality of hockey and it will continue deeper into the mud in a couple of months.

And for the first part of the year, the Leafs get away with playing soft and skilled. But when things ramp up as we get closer and closer to the playoffs, we start to see what this team is made of. Shanny and Dubas's answer to this - the guys really care and will develop a killer instinct and stand up for eachother - eventually. Sad to see really

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad