Recalled/Assigned: Maple Leafs have recalled forward Kyle Clifford from the Toronto Marlies (AHL)

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Could there be any more underwhelming news? We already have 3-4 guys who are there to take up minutes without being a negative, don't know why we would need another.

Regardless, if he plays, hope he can be effective.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
We have cap space to carry extra bodies right now with Muzzin on LTIR. I think this is Dubas being nice and letting him be up with the club.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Is there something else to this cap related. I don't get it otherwise. Showcasing? Can't imagine many teams are out there that would want him at this point.

I'd like to see some other young guys get in the lineup to get a chance.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Could there be any more underwhelming news? We already have 3-4 guys who are there to take up minutes without being a negative, don't know why we would need another.

Regardless, if he plays, hope he can be effective.

Sadly I agree. He doesn't even impact a game physically anymore. Would much rather see Ho Sang, Steeves or Anderson.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
A gm that might want him, might be asking for an NHL demo, its a full who knows...

Or lol, Dubas is hoping he puts on an NHL show and attracts a third round pick.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
I would imagine that they will do this with a bunch of the Marlies and give them NHL pay, They did the same thing a few years ago when we were using LTIR

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would imagine that they will do this with a bunch of the Marlies and give them NHL pay, They did the same thing a few years ago when we were using LTIR

He has a one-way deal. He gets NHL pay regardless of where he is.

There is just some inexplicable obsession with him. He played late in the Marlies game yesterday when they needed a goal while Robertson was on the bench.

Although I suspect he is not getting into a game so who cares. Wherever he can go where he is not in the lineup, that is where I want him. The Marlies have a bunch of guys I would rather get ice time, even though there are a couple of injuries and we need rotation guys.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Sadly I agree. He doesn't even impact a game physically anymore. Would much rather see Ho Sang, Steeves or Anderson.
I know he costs almost literally nothing to acquire, but sometimes a player is negative value. How Dubas saw his first term here and then years later says, yep, I want THAT guy back on our team of weak-willed stars is just baffling to me. Clifford does not tick any box - no skill, poor skating so can’t effectively forecheck, doesn’t physically impose/hit anymore, no defensive skill. He’s a plug in every sense of the word.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This is actually very good news - this means we are LTIRing muzz until the playoffs, And no longer care about accruing capspace.

I hope you are right. Not that I hope Muz is hurt badly but I hope we are playing the TBL Playoff LTIR game and acquiring someone like JT Miller.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I hope you are right. Not that I hop Muz is hurt badly but I hope we are playing the TBL Playoff LTIR game and acquiring someone like JT Miller.

It looks like it. It's a bit complicated but here's an explainer where Earl here predicted yesterday that if the Leafs were LTIRing muzz until playoffs then they would immediately start carrying a 22-23 man roster because the cap impact no longer mattered:

Key quotes:

Screenshot_20220223-205458_Chrome.jpg

And:

Screenshot_20220223-205631_Chrome.jpg

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Point taken .. but Cliffy better off in minors as he does not lose his escrow in minors but does on an NHL roster .. so unless they are showing him to another team then why call him up?

He's easier to coach than a younger player like Robertson. With a guy like Cliffy, you know he wont do stupid stuff / stupid mistakes like younger players tend to do. He's what coaches call a "pro" , although every paid player is technically a "pro", coaches like "vet pros" that know where they should be on the ice.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He's been pretty good for the Marlies actually. He might be one of the faster players on the team :laugh:. He has played on the PK and he has given a pretty good defensive effort. He turned down a fight or two in his first game back down with the Marlies, but he has played pretty physical. He has goals in back to back games.

I thought Clifford was originally brought in for the 13th/14th forward role. No surprise really that he would be who they look too. 738 NHL games under his belt, plus an additional 64 in the playoffs.

Reactions: Bluelines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad