Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Are we happy with this trade if Mantha is a 30g/70p winger, and Vrana is a 20g/50p winger?

For me? Yes, 100%. Mantha was not hitting those numbers in Detroit in the near future. We've simply seen enough to safely say that at this point.

I think a 1st and a 2nd for Mantha would've been a reasonable return. I think Vrana for Mantha would've been a fair trade.

I think getting Vrana, a 1st, AND 2nd (yes, with Panik added) is a brilliant return for us. Sure, Mantha's production will spike in Washington, but we aren't Washington.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Now you're letting your hate cloud your judgement. Blashill mediocre. But he's not bad enough to be one of the worst. He's the Mendoza of coaches.

hope you're ready for him to get an extension and ruin Seider

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
This is going to be something we re-visit for a long time.

Do we finally have a Dead Horse topic to replace Franzen vs Hossa? :o

If Washington can get the star version of Mantha. They will win this trade.

If they get - consistently - the star Mantha, the one who we have only seen flashes of, well fair play to them, they got something out of him that no-one else could. And even then, I think we did pretty well out of this - a youngish 25 goal scorer, a 1st and 2nd. Not to shabby.

I'm on record here as not being in favour of trading NHL quality roster players as I see that as the way to be another Buffalo, but we got 2 roster players out of it, and I'm not at all sorry to see Mantha gone. Just way too inconsistent. Although I'm not sure how much of a punishment it is to be sent to one of the best teams in the league...

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I absolutely love this trade. Well done Yzerman. Vrana is a stud and is fun to watch, he's bringing a ton of flash and skill to the lineup which is always nice. Solid to get a first and a 2nd as well. I wonder what our plans are with Panik, he's obviously not in the long range plans.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Great trade. We get two high draft picks for the debatable better player.

I think this narrative still needs to stop. Vrana is not better than Mantha. I think that will be exposed as the two swap places.

That doesn’t mean Vrana isn’t a really good player, but I think we need to realize exactly how good Mantha is. Remember one of them was just acquired for the other...along with a bottom 6 player, a 1st and a 2nd.

The league knows who is the better player. But I will say that Vrana might be the better player FOR US.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Whiny wings fans (you know who you are): "Waaaah! We can't trade Mantha now! His value is too low this season! We should wait until he's worth more!"
Me: "But the Tomas Tatar deal in 2018 is a good gauge for what Mantha is worth. He's worth at least a 1st and a 2nd..."
WWF: "STFU! You don't know what you're talking about n00b! If we trade him now we're selling low!"

...Mantha is traded for a legit top 6 winger that is younger, a legit top 9 winger that was previously in Tampa's system, a 1st round pick that will likely be between 24 and 32, and a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: jaster and ShelbyZ

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Mantha has scored 25 goals once. So has Vrana. Yes, we're happy with this trade. Stop acting like there are no draft picks involved.

That was my point. Are we happy with the return, even if we make the (not necessarily true) assumption that Mantha is clearly a better player than Vrana?

I think we are happy even under this "worst case" scenario

Last edited:

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
The value of a 1st and 2nd pick can be evaluated the day of the trade. Evaluating the player you select with those picks is a judgment on scouting, not on the value of the picks themselves.

The value of a late 1st and 2nd is simply what it is. If we botch those picks, blame the scouts (and by extension Yzerman, sure).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Are we happy with this trade if Mantha is a 30g/70p winger, and Vrana is a 20g/50p winger?
Yes. At this point, Mantha was a negative influence on the team with his laziness and needed a change of scenery. Vrana can skate and almost keep up with Larkin. That's huge. Chances are pretty good that both players increase point totals (pro rated to 82 games) next season.

I have to guess that contract negotiations did not go well with Vrana's agent. Such an odd trade from the Cap's perspective.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Gonna depend on the pick, then, right?
And we don't have Backstrom/Kuznetsov at center.
So not sure we can count on Vrana's production to stay high.
Hopefully it does.

I dont think it really depends on the draft picks - its unfair to evaluate decisions with the advantage of hindsight. Yeah it will suck if we draft nobodies, but that doesnt change the fact that it i think its an objectively good trade for us right now.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Depends on what the picks turn into.

Detroit could also flip Vrana before the draft for another first.
Where did you get Vrana is only 50 point winger, his production is of a top 6 forward but his average TOI is of a 3rd liner. I can see him getting enough minutes with detroit to be ppg player, he is one of the top league scorers 5 on 5.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Now you're letting your hate cloud your judgement. Blashill mediocre. But he's not bad enough to be one of the worst. He's the Mendoza of coaches.

Without looking, I'd guess he has the lowest winning percentage of any coach in NHL history with the same or more amount of games at the helm.

So yes, he's one of the worst.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yes. At this point, Mantha was a negative influence on the team with his laziness and needed a change of scenery. Vrana can skate and almost keep up with Larkin. That's huge. Chances are pretty good that both players increase point totals (pro rated to 82 games) next season.

I have to guess that contract negotiations did not go well with Vrana's agent. Such an odd trade from the Cap's perspective.

What I love in Vrana, is his low Goals Against/60. He is great defensive winger.

Mantha will get greater production for sure, thanks to great playmakers Kuznetsov/Bäckström, and Vrana production will go down, before we get some legit feeders.

But we will get a player who is playing winning hockey.

Panik was also pain in the ass as Syracuse player. More those ex-Tampa guys coming in town...

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Gonna depend on the pick, then, right?
And we don't have Backstrom/Kuznetsov at center.
So not sure we can count on Vrana's production to stay high.
Hopefully it does.
hes been mostly with lars eller this season at 5v5. he was on pp1 witht the big dog for the first half of the year though

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Without looking, I'd guess he has the lowest winning percentage of any coach in NHL history with the same or more amount of games at the helm.

So yes, he's one of the worst.

Yeah, with some of the worst teams ever to be iced in modern history. Scotty Bowman would have one of the worst winning percentages if this was the first team he helmed.

Reactions: Christoph53

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

this '' Mantha was a negative influence on the team with his laziness '' . i loved mantha but his dont give a damn attitude was a bad influence annd disrespectful of this organization that there was zero excuse for . ide been glad to see him gone for a late first ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad