Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Basically was Mantha for Vrana + 1st and Washington giving us a 2nd to take back Panik.

I think I love this trade. Mantha is probably the more talented of the two but Vrana is slightly younger and more consistent. Plus we got a 1st on top of it.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
My guess is the Washington 1st is going to get packaged for a higher 1st so we can get more kicks at the can.

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
Goota say, i reallyike what Yzerman did at this deadline.

He didnt give away good players for peanuts, and got something for a few expirings.

He also added a lot of draft capital.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
It's not exactly what I hoped for in a Mantha trade. Vrana is good though and I like him. Hopefully he and Zadina can be buds.
Another first is great of course. We need all the picks we can get.

I really liked Mantha though, so it's hard not to be a little disappointed. I also wanted a D or C if we were to move him, but I think we did well enough for value that I'm cool with the winger in Vrana.

I'll miss Mantha, but ultimately am reasonably happy with the trade.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
i havent watched much of Vrana, but i dont think he's better than Mantha. I dont know why a lot of people are saying this (not necessarily in this thread).

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This is going to be something we re-visit for a long time.

Anthony Mantha finished last year looking like a star near 1PPG. He regressed this year to be very disappointing at 0.5PPG

If Washington can get the star version of Mantha. They will win this trade.

That being said, we are likely getting Vrana (25yr old, RFA, likely looking for a raise on his 3.35M deal.)
He is a different player from Anthony, lower ceiling I think, but still likely a top 6 player for us.
We also get somewhere around 25th pick and a 50th pick.

I will now root for WSH to do POORLY in the playoffs to maximise our draft picks from them.

This was a good haul yes. But Also I think this deal is very fair considering Mantha's upside vs Vrana's.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Didn't hate Mantha, didn't love him either. I hope for his sake he finds it in Washington and makes better use of his talent.

Vrana is an RFA, so that will be something to watch. Adding more good draft picks is nice. Next year's team should be interesting.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Are we happy with this trade if Mantha is a 30g/70p winger, and Vrana is a 20g/50p winger?

I think it depends on how the picks turn out. It definitely seems to fit the rebuild and the value is really good coming back but yeah, Mantha could definitely hit those type of numbers and is the better player most likely

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Looks like Washington got dummied in this deal and I love it. Glad to see Mantha go, the bum. Ready to root for a Capitals 1st round exit.

Yzerman is a boss. May his critics humbly bow before him :naughty:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Didn't hate Mantha, didn't love him either. I hope for his sake he finds it in Washington and makes better use of his talent.

Vrana is an RFA, so that will be something to watch. Adding more good draft picks is nice. Next year's team should be interesting.
Vrana can skate and score, he fits on a team that looks like Tampa Bay. Yzerman upgraded his roster and then added a 1st and 2nd for good measure.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
"However, I would contend that Vrana’s offensive gifts—in particular his blistering foot speed and wrist shot—would be better served in tandem with a centerman of fleeter feet. That would mean penciling Vrana in alongside Evgeny Kuznetsov, with whom Vrana has been quite productive in recent Washington contests."

...Larkin.

It's an odd trade from the Caps' perspective, considering that they already have a bunch of wingers chewing up huge ice time. The only explanation is that GMBM prefers size while Stevie prefers speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad