Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
This is such a coup for us I can't believe it. Stevie did NOT sell low on Mantha one iota and he's primed us to cash in on draft picks while still giving us a younger roster player to figure out. Vrana has been very good in Washington but was struggling to get icetime, he'll be a welcome addition to our top line with Larkin and Zadina. Panik can also be placed on the taxi squad and is mostly a cap floor addition because we are going to be running a very low-salary ship next year.

Reactions: Zetterbeer

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Stevie Y man, take a bow!!!

I'm so giddy... Vrana is every bit as good as Mantha and younger

Vrana is better than lazy Mantha but not nearly as good as a motivated Mantha. He's got good wheels, so I think he's an ideal winger for Larkin.

Huge risk for the Caps, I think it's an overpayment. They should've at least asked for LGD in exchange for Hagelin to free up some cap space.

As a fan of both teams, I think Stevie won this trade. If anything it sends a message to the players, Stevie won't tolerate laziness. I'm not happy because I still have to watch lazy Tony.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
The 1st looks nice, but it is Washington's 1st so it's going to be a mid 20's overall pick. I like Vrana a lot, maybe he will click with Larkin and Zadina.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Vrana's goals/60
5th in the NHL over the last three years.
Points/50 is 18th in over the last three years.

Would have rather had Alexeyev - a defenseman. But whatever.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Vrana's goals/60
5th in the NHL over the last three years.
Points/50 is 18th in over the last three years.

Would have rather had Alexeyev - a defenseman. But whatever.
He will get a bigger role with the WIngs and more ice time, so his overall number will go up but his per 60 numbers will likely go down against higher QoC.

Reactions: kliq and BStinson

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I like this. Vrana is younger than Mantha. We also gained 2 Czech players to hopefully help with the development of Zadina and Hronek.

I still wish we could have traded Glendening, would have loved to see him in meaningful games. I hope we can resign Bernier. Can't believe we didn't trade Staal for even a 7th.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Really sad to see Mantha go. I still think he's one of the more undervalued wingers in the league, but Vrana is no slouch either. Given Mantha's age he likely wouldn't fit in with the timeline of the team going forward and this trade let's the Wings cash in on him. This trade really reminds me of the Tatar trade where we're moving a really good player, but getting great value in return. I'm not sure if Vrana fits the timeline of the team better than Mantha, but he's at least a year younger.

I see the trade as Mantha for Vrana+2nd and we get a 1st for taking on Panik's contract. Ideally Vrana and Panik play well enough that we can flip them for more picks in 2022/2023.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
really hate this continuing precedent of moving guys because they don't play nice with one of the worst coaches the league has ever seen

that said I guess i'm fine with the return here, I do like Vrana and this seems like a good year to have a late first with all the scouting uncertainty
Dave Lewis is coaching again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad