Confirmed with Link: Manny Malhotra hired as Canucks development coach

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Great hire :yo:

I'd like to see what anyone knows about the other hires too.

Bryan Mashall - Strength and development coach

Graeme Poole - Rehab Therapist

Dr. Jim Bovard - Team primary care physician (What about Dr. Rick Celebrini?)

Ryan Johnson - Promoted to Director of player development

Stan Smyl - Promoted to Senior advisor to the GM & director of Collegiate scouting (How does this impact our scouting department?)

Toby Blosser - Hired by Comets as Head athletic therapist

First thing that stands out is that Ryan Johnson is now Director of Player Development and Smyl was punted upstairs. Johnson seems to be an unheralded figure in the organization - kind of hard for me to grasp that this is the same Ryan Johnson who was a minus on Burrows's OT goal vs. Chicago only five years ago...

He was first hired as a player development consultant under Mike Gillis in 2013, was promoted to assistant director in 2015, and one year later gets the head position.

One more thing:

• Cloutier - 40
  • Johnson - 40
  • Malhotra - 36
These new promotions in the player development system are skewing young

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What's the lifespan on this management group, less than a year? Likelihood of them making the playoffs is low, and I doubt the Aquilinis sit tight if they fail.

Malhotra should have waited. Now he risks getting caught up in the current mess.

Eh he's not the type of guy who would need to worry about getting the boot during a purge.

Great to have him back in this capacity though, seems like a smart guy and will be interesting to see how far he progresses through the system.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It's really nice seeing guys who are only here for a couple years grow such strong ties with the organization.

My "Debbie Downer" comment of the night...

Ron Delorme (knock his scouting all you want but *as a player* he bled for the team - taking on *ALL* comers even if he was outclassed in the fighting department).

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Welcome back, Manny. Please survive the purge of incompetence that will hopefully occur this year.

The funny part is he returned for Game 3 of the SCF... :cry:

And was a shadow of his former self. Before the injury, he was the perfect third line centre. Lethal on the dot, shadowed and shut down the best, was a legit candidate for the Selke if the standards actually included pure defensive prowess...but then of course it didn't happen.

Game 3 was like being forced to watch someone torture a family member for 3 hours. Absolute nightmare of a game. I remember Luongo boasting before game 3 about how he got his first win/shutout in that building and how he felt confident going in. Worst Canucks game I've ever watched.

A very close second to game 7.

Yes! Sooooo much yes. Going to be so good for the kids. Besides the head coach, we're starting to build a great staff. Rollie and Clouts with the goalies and with Lidster doing good things with the D. Im happy.

Uh...problem. See bolded.

I have every bit as much confidence in Lidster's coaching work as I do Delorme's scouting.

This is the happiest I've been about anything Canucks-related in a long time.

Yeah. It is. Wow, am I tuned out.

My "Debbie Downer" comment of the night...

Ron Delorme (knock his scouting all you want but *as a player* he bled for the team - taking on *ALL* comers even if he was outclassed in the fighting department).

And he's beyond terrible as a scout. Until he and his ilk are fired, this team's never going to win ****.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Bp8ahlo.gif

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Great hire. Malhotra was a take charge type of leader who was willing to help out younger players even before his playing days were over.

It's really nice seeing guys who are only here for a couple years grow such strong ties with the organization.

Well it is really just Ryan Johnson who stood out in terms of this description. Malhotra's connection is more to the city than the organization.

JA

It's not hard to grow a strong connection with an organisation during a cup run.
It also helps that his wife's family is rooted in Vancouver.

Vancouver seemed like the right fit for him as soon as he was signed all the way back in 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Good signing at the time and it has paid off in the long run.

Good signing at the time, but I can't say it paid off due to his unfortunate eye injury. I actually wondered what would have happened had Hodgson (who was playing well) played in the Finals instead of rushing Manny back.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
It also helps that his wife's family is rooted in Vancouver.

Vancouver seemed like the right fit for him as soon as he was signed all the way back in 2010.

Yes, you're right. As he says in the video, he considers himself an honorary west coaster. It was meant to be!

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
What happened to Scott Walker? Named "development consultant" last September and then seems to have disappeared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad