Manitoba Moose / MTS Centre group talking to NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Yes Winnipeg, there is an ownership group trying to bring back the NHL.

Scott Brown, the communications director for the company that owns the Manitoba Moose and the MTS Centre, spilled the beans in Thursday's Globe and Mail.

Owner Mark Chipman talks regularly with NHL brass about a second coming of the Jets, according to a spokesman, but prefers to keep the conversations private.

"We take a wholly opposite approach to Mr. Balsillie," said Scott Brown. "We're pretty sure it's the right approach."

Not that the franchise will be making a return trip from Phoenix, but given the Coyote Ugly situation south of the border, and the glowing comments that Jets draft pick Teemu Selanne made in the middle of his quest for a second Stanley Cup with the Ducks, you had to figure that, eventually, someone in the media would pick up on a non-Hamilton angle to this story.

The idea for the article certainly didn't come from within the city. In fact, nothing has been made locally about what the Moose had to say. There was no splashy news conference, not even mention in today's Free Press. While some like to paint Winnipeg as the kid with anger management problems, who insists it deserves the Coyotes back NOW, the community could best be described as "once bitten, twice shy."

Flash back to the late 90s. Manitoba's premier uses a "Save the Jets" platform to get re-elected. For as long as the franchise's future remained in doubt, he received death threats. His party hasn't been back in power since the team left town. And in the summer of 2007, it was said that a politician actually gave himself the "kiss of death" by declaring that he would bring back the Jets if re-elected.

No one wants to be the guy who boasts that he'll get the NHL to give the city a second chance, only to do nothing, or fail. It brings back terrible, gut-wrenching memories. That hollow, empty feeling of the Jets leaving for Phoenix. It's not a pretty picture.

But for once, the True North Sports & Entertainment elected not to play coy when it came time to talk about the possible return of the NHL. For years, Mark Chipman has admitted to "studying" the possibilities, including taking a look at the Edmonton Oilers finances. But never would he say that he was pursuing the return of the Jets.

Thursday, as it turns out, was exactly 18 months to the day that the Toronto Star reported that, "the people in Winnipeg call the league pretty much every day about a team, more than anybody else," according to an unnamed high-ranking hockey source.

But with no one publicly admitting that they would not only advocate, but actually be willing to own an NHL franchise in the River City, the huge question mark that led to the team's demise in 1996, still hung over Winnipeg like a dark cloud, 13 years later.

Until Thursday.

Which likely begs another question from observers both inside and beyond the Perimeter: Is there really NHL money in Winnipeg?

Look no further than the city's current sports landscape. The MTS Centre, a jewel of a building, cost $133 million. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers, a team that hardly matters to anyone unfamiliar with the eight-team Canadian Football League, were recently sold to David Asper, who pledged a $100 million investment towards a new stadium and commercial developments, with profits being funneled back to the team. Heck, when the chips were down in 1995, Manitobans from all walks of life -- both current and former residents, from business tycoons right down to kids with piggy banks -- donated $13 million in a matter of days all in an effort to Save the Jets.

Those numbers pale in comparison to Balsillie's $212.5 million offer for the Coyotes, but according to a report by Forbes that came out late last year, the team is the least valued in the NHL, worth $142 million.

Regardless of what happens with the Dust Up in the Desert, one thing is certain: the Manitoba Moose / MTS Centre ownership has made its intentions clear. Not loud and clear. Soft, polite, and in private, where necessary, but clear.

Clear enough that two simple sentences, calmly stated in a national newspaper, have a Keith Tkachuk sized question mark fading from the landscape of Portage and Main. Fading fast.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They're all coming out of the woodwork now.

Now is a good time for Hartford to get it's plan into motion. They've been talking about it for years.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
They're all coming out of the woodwork now.

Now is a good time for Hartford to get it's plan into motion. They've been talking about it for years.

there is no "woodwork" in the winnipeg's case.
it has been known for some time that MTS is looking for a NHL tennant.
they have just gone about it properly, by talking to the principles involved...not the media.
by taking that approach, they believe they will be successful.
it is public knowledge that MTS has been in contact with the NHL numerous times.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
On Daly's latest XM interview he mentioned that between Bettman and himself, they have upwards of 20 talks like this a year with various groups from various cities.

So really, it's about as big of a non-story as the Vaughn group.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
On Daly's latest XM interview he mentioned that between Bettman and himself, they have upwards of 20 talks like this a year with various groups from various cities.

So really, it's about as big of a non-story as the Vaughn group.

I think the Vaughn group has a much better chance of putting a new team in Southern Ontario than any other suitors.

Additionally, I think a team in Winnipeg is a great idea. I would love to see one there and anther team in Western Canada or the Northwestern US. The NHL has too many teams in the East and needs to balance it out.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I think the Vaughn group has a much better chance of putting a new team in Southern Ontario than any other suitors.

Except that Hamilton announced (Thursday?) that they'd only negotiate with Balsillie for Copps lease (and since have a deal in principle for a 20 year lease).

berklon

Dec 24, 2008

MLSE wouldn't like the idea of another arena cutting into the ACCs events.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
MLSE wouldn't like the idea of another arena cutting into the ACCs events.

Paul Kelly has said one of the things that has to happen to get MLSE to support a team in So. Ontario is an agreement to play in the ACC as a tenant of MLSE. I think the Vaughn group might negotiate that.

TRVIPERS

Sep 26, 2006
Home of the Jets
Ok,so just how bad does Balsillie want the 7th Canadian team?

Does he want it bad enough that he would assume ownership in
Winnipeg rather than Hamilton if that's what the NHL wants or
would he drop out of the picture if he couldn't move to S.Ontario?

Is it even possible for Balsillie to work out something with
Chipman and his group to move a team to Winnipeg?

Does Chipmans group have a plan or even more importantly the money if the Balsillie deal falls through?

Lots of questions,the answers should be interesting.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
They better move the Islanders and Devils then.

It certaintly is more complex than that. First off all that happened 27+ years ago, league ownership and management is very different now.

Second of all the Islanders and Devils moving in did not significantly hurt the existing team(s) there. The Rangers are one of the most values franchise of the league, and while the Islanders are having problems that is related to their outdated arena not the Devils moving in on the other side of the metro area.

In the Southern ontario case a team in Hamilton would probably endanger the Buffalo Sabres. I've heard somewhere of 15-20% of their ticket base comes from Southern Ontario. Given that they currently the most profitable franchise a new team in that area would probably take some of that ticket base and put the Sabres in financial trouble. In a case like that the league isn't going to allow a new team to move in.

If it was just the Leafs to worry about there would probably already be a team in Hamilton. However, there is the issue of the impact on the Sabres and that in my mind is probably the biggest obstacle to a team in the Hamilton region. The league may eventually put a second team just north of Toronto where the impact on Buffalo is minimal.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I could have told you the league probably perfers Winnipeg over hamilton. Hamilton in the territory of 2 teams, Winnipeg isn't.

Maybe you could have. But people care a about what the commissioner of the league says. Message board posters, not so much.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
Paul Kelly has said one of the things that has to happen to get MLSE to support a team in So. Ontario is an agreement to play in the ACC as a tenant of MLSE. I think the Vaughn group might negotiate that.

I know it can be done, but it would still be tight to have 3 major tenants using the ACC while still trying to cater to schedules of events.

If Balsillie really wants to piss off MLSE, he should just build a facility which is comparable to an arena in seating (but with an ideal set up for concerts and other events) as close to the ACC as possible. With a better facility, price and a much more flexible schedule for bookings, he can really cut into MLSE's profits.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
In the Southern ontario case a team in Hamilton would probably endanger the Buffalo Sabres. I've heard somewhere of 15-20% of their ticket base comes from Southern Ontario. Given that they currently the most profitable franchise a new team in that area would probably take some of that ticket base and put the Sabres in financial trouble. In a case like that the league isn't going to allow a new team to move in.

If it was just the Leafs to worry about there would probably already be a team in Hamilton. However, there is the issue of the impact on the Sabres and that in my mind is probably the biggest obstacle to a team in the Hamilton region. The league may eventually put a second team just north of Toronto where the impact on Buffalo is minimal.

The Buffalo organization has stated only 8% of their ticket base comes from Southern Ontario. Plus with the tighter border restrictions coming, they're probably going to drop a bit further even without an NHL team in Hamilton. The advantage to a team in Hamilton is that the Sabres can charge premium prices whenever Hamilton plays there (much like they do with the Leafs) and a natural rivalry is good for both franchises. Currently there's not much of a rivalry between the Leafs and Sabres, and I doubt a 2nd Toronto team would offer one either.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
My point was that it wasn't a shocking revelation.

Shocking might be overstating it but it's a significant statement when it comes from Bettman. A good number of posters on this website consider Winnipeg to be a ludicrous pipe dream. The commissioner of the league comes out and says "if the team did return to Canada, it would be to Winnipeg". He cannot make a statement like that without being prepared to consider an action plan, and that's enough to show that Winnipeg is absolutely not a ludicrous pipe dream.

Entertaining the idea does not mean putting a team in Winnipeg, but entertaining the idea is something many 'experts' on this site laugh off.

If you don't think it's a significant statement coming from Gary Bettman you can browse national Canadian media websites. TSN, CBC, Globe and Mail - non-Winnipeg media outlets are either leading with this story or have it as their second or third story.

LT_Canadian

Jul 13, 2003
Thunder Bay ON Can
On the interview with Ron Maclean he asked Balsillie if Winnipeg would be of interest if Hamilton was a no go and Balsillie said my offer is only for Southern Ontario.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Bill Daly and Mark Chipman respond

Nothing new really, but here are the official responses of both the NHL and True North Sports and Entertainment re. this morning's news that Gary Bettman would consider moving the Coyotes to Winnipeg, but not Hamilton.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the [Winnipeg] Free Press today that if Bettman made such a comment, it's not shocking.

"I don't think I would have been a party to that conversation specifically," Daly said in an email. "But there were conversations over time about what might happen if there were absolutely no other options in Phoenix.

"And, certainly, we have consistently maintained that we would be open to exploring the possibility of bringing NHL hockey back to Winnipeg."

Scudder's comments in the court filing also didn't surprise True North Sports and Entertainment chairman Mark Chipman.

"We don't know if he (Bettman) said it but if he did, it's not inconsistent with what he's said in the past and certainly that he's not opposed to going back to Canada," Chipman said today.

Chipman, whose company controls the NHL-suitable MTS Centre, said most of the news from the court case underscores the value of the southern Ontario market for the NHL and that the league wants to protect all its future interests there.

But Scudder's comment does not mean there is any plan to bring the Coyotes back to Winnipeg, Chipman said.

"I'd rather not comment any further on this because it opens a can of worms that leads to nowhere right now," Chipman said.

From the Winnipeg Free Press website

The Vengabus

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
Can someone please correct me as I seem to have the wrong impression.

Wasn't there a lot of talk about the MTS Centre handicapping Winnipeg as it is far too small for the NHL (under 16k IIRC) and not capable of expanding to NHL size? Is this not true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad