Manitoba Moose 2015-2016 Season (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Going to my first Moose game tonight (since the return). Since I saw most of the players who'd I'd expect to see with the Moose play for the Jets last night, (Kosmachuk, Petan, De Leo, Halischuk plus Lipon being injured), is there anyone left to watch? (Besides Morrissey and Helebuyck of course) What kind of lineup are they icing right now? Can someone spit out some line combos?

Kostalek, Comrie

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jimmy-Lodge-300x200.jpg

Includes: Moose Week in Review and Kyle Connor Dazzles, Again.

To read click here.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
2nd straight shutout for Helle. Too bad he's tailing off :sarcasm:

Him going back seems to have been a prudent move at this point. He's picked off right where he left off and should be pretty hungry going into next season now that he has gotten a pretty big taste of the NHL.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Made it through half the game before my two-year old started to fade so we took off before she could destroy the place...somehow she gets destructive when she's tired, good thing we were in a suite anyway...

I don't get the hate for MacWilliam. Granted I only saw a period and a half, but he was very good. Solid PK, decent PP work, moved the puck well and played physical enough. He's a little on the slow side, but I definitely saw the player who got into a few NHL games with the Leafs last year. As I said yesterday, I saw him play 4-years at UND and he's the same player now as he was then, nothing fancy just solid. Really don't get the hate, but like I said, only saw a period and a half.

Loved Olsen too, that kid hits EVERYTHING. I imagine him and Lipon on a line together would be fun to watch. Liked Albert too. Obviously he's a bit undersized, but he's got great vision and moved pretty quickly. Brassard banging around was nice to see too. Kichten potted a couple of goals that good offensive defenseman get, snuck down low for nice passes and rebounds, solid.

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
Jake Baker

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but was at the Moose game last night, and wanted to ask about Jake Baker. Looks like he's been up from the ECHL with the Moose for 6 or so games now. In my opinion from last night's game, he was the best D Man on the team in that game. He played with Kichton, and even though Kichton scored twice, I thought Baker was more impressive.

6'4" 230lbs, LHD. Had great composure, vision, some offensive skill, and great with the body. Laid out some guy streaking through the middle with his head down, was a beauty check.

I guess my question is.......anyone know more about this guy? I assume he's not signed with the Jets, just the Moose.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Made it through half the game before my two-year old started to fade so we took off before she could destroy the place...somehow she gets destructive when she's tired, good thing we were in a suite anyway...

I don't get the hate for MacWilliam. Granted I only saw a period and a half, but he was very good. Solid PK, decent PP work, moved the puck well and played physical enough. He's a little on the slow side, but I definitely saw the player who got into a few NHL games with the Leafs last year. As I said yesterday, I saw him play 4-years at UND and he's the same player now as he was then, nothing fancy just solid. Really don't get the hate, but like I said, only saw a period and a half.

Loved Olsen too, that kid hits EVERYTHING. I imagine him and Lipon on a line together would be fun to watch. Liked Albert too. Obviously he's a bit undersized, but he's got great vision and moved pretty quickly. Brassard banging around was nice to see too. Kichten potted a couple of goals that good offensive defenseman get, snuck down low for nice passes and rebounds, solid.

You somehow caught the Moose on a good night...I've seen them win but sounds like they really carried the play last night - which I don't think I've witnessed this year. It's hard to believe the team could muster up that kind of performance when missing Petan, De Leo, Morrissey, Armia and Raffl.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Breton's a F and Wilson's a D - doesn't mention that in the blurb about the signings...which is kind of handy information to have to go along with their scoring totals and ages.

Unless they corrected it in the last 20 minutes, it says forward and defence in the first paragraph.

Lefty d-man hype for the Moose, choo choo

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Caught the game tonight. One of the better games I've been to for sure. Moose totally dominated play in the first 40 despite a lineup decimated by call-ups. Stockton was painfully sloppy throughout the first 2 and the Moose picked up a bit of that early in the 3rd. Finished the last couple minutes really strong which was good to see. Liked the play of some of the new players and the veterans held their weight.

Helle wasn't really tested in the first 2 and the goals he let in weren't particularly soft but were saves he will need to make for him to be a quality NHL goalie. Held strong after those two and they were both kind of bizarre plays so you can't fault him too much.

As for Jake Baker, He had the goal and made a couple nice plays early. Hit a post late in the game as well. Looks like there's some offensive upside to his game despite mediocre numbers in university. I think he'll need to clean up his defensive game to ever push for a big league spot but as a call up to the AHL the tools are there. Looked lost a little in his own zone and got caught up high on the PK twice in the third but as a decent skater, ok with the puck, solid shot, and size to spare, he's definitely got enough upside to earn a longer look.

Breton looked good and has the skating to function as an AHL player. Liked Ben Walker's game in the first 40 but some poor play from defenseman caught him off guard a bit in the d-zone on both of their goals. Plays with 100% effort and intensity all the time. DeSalvo looked good too. Size will always be an issue for him but he can fit at this level if playing with the right guys. Wasn't a huge fan of 38, 40 (Wilson?), Harstad, or Serville. Harris (46) was getting PP time and playing a bigger role than the others and was ok. Probably a bottom 6 AHLer at best on a better team but wasn't awful out there.

Lodge and Kramer actually had a solid game together. Didn't expect that at all going in but they played well especially when Walker was playing with them. Cormier had a really solid game. Some people are down on him and while I don't think he will ever be an NHL caliber player he's nowhere near complaint worthy as a top 6 AHLer. MacWilliam was better than I've seen him in the past as well. Albert was head and shoulders above most guys on the ice and can be a veteran leader on a successful AHL team IMO.

For Stockton I liked getting to see Oliver Kylington play. He was a guy I thought may have been a good fit at the draft last year given the Jets needs on D. Really smooth out there and a joy to watch. Needs to clean up d-zone a bit for sure but I would put money on him finding a way onto Calgary's roster at some point. Skating ability and strength on skates really showed when Kichton tried to nail him near the end of the game and flew off of him. Would have loved for the Jets to have snagged him in the 2nd last year but I'll admire from afar.

Either way, good to see a win and solid effort out of the guys. Always a fun time at Moose games with the kids going crazy for jumbotron time and pretty good hockey on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad