MANCHESTER, NH THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Is they a time table for the echl returning?

I thought you would be "in the know" considering you were getting that Manchester hockey fan group together?

But seriously, you would need an owner who 1. knows it is a risk the hockey fans don't show up, 2. knows for a fact they won't make money the first few seasons, in fact will lose quite a lot, 3. is able to secure a lease with a building that is fairly well known to not necessarily care about handing away prime dates, 4. who would probably need other owners who agree with their exact plan as well, 5. is okay without being affiliated with the Bruins and the lack of marketing opportunities that come with it.

Good luck finding that person.

Reactions: Roadhog and JMCx4

CANADIENSFAN90

Oct 1, 2016
vermont
I thought you would be "in the know" considering you were getting that Manchester hockey fan group together?

But seriously, you would need an owner who 1. knows it is a risk the hockey fans don't show up, 2. knows for a fact they won't make money the first few seasons, in fact will lose quite a lot, 3. is able to secure a lease with a building that is fairly well known to not necessarily care about handing away prime dates, 4. who would probably need other owners who agree with their exact plan as well, 5. is okay without being affiliated with the Bruins and the lack of marketing opportunities that come with it.

Good luck finding that person.
Any market has that risks it’s gotta take time I really doubt that Manchester was that bad that someday a another team will try to go there again

Last edited:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Just remember, @Barclay Donaldson, you created this monster (thread). :facepalm:
The positive effects of the minimized thread hijackings far outweighs the admittedly high emotional cost this thread has on HFB users.
Any market has that risks it’s gotta take time I really doubt that Manchester was that bad that someday a another team will try to go there again
It was bad enough there remains no team there, just recognize that. Keep gathering that hockey fanbase together, see how much success you have.

Is there risk in any market? Yes.
Is there significantly higher than average risk in Manchester, NH? Yes.

CANADIENSFAN90

Oct 1, 2016
vermont
The positive effects of the minimized thread hijackings far outweighs the admittedly high emotional cost this thread has on HFB users.

It was bad enough there remains no team there, just recognize that. Keep gathering that hockey fanbase together, see how much success you have.

Is there risk in any market? Yes.
Is there significantly higher than average risk in Manchester, NH? Yes.
I agree that Manchester nh is a higher risk if Atlanta joins the nhl they might put there ahl teams someone else might too

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I agree that Manchester nh is a higher risk if Atlanta joins the nhl they might put there ahl teams someone else might too

Uh, what? In the hypothetical scenario a NHL franchise is placed in Atlanta, there is *0%* chance they place their AHL affiliation franchise in Manchester. Their prospect call up times would be insane. In terms of "Ideal AHL Affiliates For A Hypothetical Atlanta NHL Team," Manchester is barely above Flin Flon and far below half a million other markets.

I thought we already killed off your ridiculous "someone in the AHL will go to Manchester" thoughts in the first page of this thread. The only way this thread works is if you make progress. Your comment above suggests significant regression back into your typical irrational, incoherent, and incorrect ramblings.

CANADIENSFAN90

Oct 1, 2016
vermont
Uh, what? In the hypothetical scenario a NHL franchise is placed in Atlanta, there is *0%* chance they place their AHL affiliation franchise in Manchester. Their prospect call up times would be insane. In terms of "Ideal AHL Affiliates For A Hypothetical Atlanta NHL Team," Manchester is barely above Flin Flon and far below half a million other markets.

I thought we already killed off your ridiculous "someone in the AHL will go to Manchester" thoughts in the first page of this thread. The only way this thread works is if you make progress. Your comment above suggests significant regression back into your typical irrational, incoherent, and incorrect ramblings.
St. Louis and Springfield lighting and Syracuse so why couldn’t Manchester and Atlanta work also Manchester is a good market it’s proven it can support hockey it’s not a long shot the city wants hockey to return

Why not bring the ECHL or fphl to Manchester

Last edited by a moderator:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
St. Louis and Springfield lighting and Syracuse so why couldn’t Manchester and Atlanta work also Manchester is a good market it’s proven it can support hockey it’s not a long shot the city wants hockey to return

Why not bring the ECHL or fphl to Manchester,nh

The city wants hockey to return? It's been 5 years since they've had a pro team and haven't come close since. So it is not a good market with proven support for hockey that isn't a long shot. The city wants hockey to return? Yeah, they probably do. Does that increase the chances hockey will return? Not at all.

Why not a hypothetical Atlanta team? Because the standard is for new NHL teams to own their AHL affiliate. See Las Vegas and Seattle. Atlanta would follow that.

Where did you see me say I don't think Manchester should ever get hockey again? Point it out, please. I never said that. I said it is incredibly unlikely they will host hockey in the near future. Which is completely true.

You're saying something is going to happen because it should happen or some place has the right to it. That isn't how things work. And if you don't know that, you probably ought to start learning.

Last edited by a moderator:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

Jeez, if Atlanta gets an NHL team again, they're going to want to keep their AHL/ECHL affiliates in the Peach State.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
The AHL is not coming back to Manchester, any more than the AHL coming back to Portland. The days of the AHL in New England outside of current cities is over. It's just like when the AHL left the Maritimes. It's time to move on.

Now, I'm not as down as Barclay is on Manchester getting a franchise. I think Manchester is closer to getting a franchise than many believe, but its not going to happen overnight. It's gonna be likely at least five years but I know the ECHL and city is actively working to find an ownership group but it's not imminent.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I have to apologize.

I could have done the kind of silly thing with this thread that my silly posterior is wont to do, having come all the way from Oregon and, on a fateful Monday 2.5 weeks ago, I could have stopped in Manchester during my first ever visit to New Hampshire. I could have taken a cheap selfie pointing and laughing at SNHU Arena. Instead, I prioritized getting to Allagash Brewing in Portland before it closed, getting a closeup of Bug Light, being a Portlander in the other Portland. Then again, I also didn’t take a cheap selfie pointing and laughing at Cross Insurance Arena… probably getting a little old for such things.

I shall do better next time.

• Haha
Reactions: Roadhog

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Just seeing this thread for the first time. I grew up in NH (about 35-40 minutes from Manchester), went to undergrad at SNHU, went to a good number of Monarchs games. They were hot at the start of their tenure there and had creative promotions, but by the time the AHL went westward there was already dwindling interest.

The ECHL failed there mostly because fans felt it was a slap in the face to be demoted and were mad at the Kings. If they just ceased operations even for a year and then put an ECHL franchise in there with a different name and branding, even if it was the same pro affiliation with LA, they'd probably have accepted it more. But having the Kings flip AHL and ECHL markets on them and being given lower-quality hockey with the same branding and such, massive rejection.

It seems like the hesitation to put a team back there is because organizations look at the failure of the ECHL Monarchs as an indictment on the market and not a reaction to the particular situation. I think if a different organization went in there they'd be moderately successful. It's a decent arena and a good market that doesn't have a lot of alternatives for entertainment. If they get the bad taste out of their mouth from what the Kings did and just go to enjoy hockey, it'll sell.

CANADIENSFAN90

Oct 1, 2016
vermont
Just seeing this thread for the first time. I grew up in NH (about 35-40 minutes from Manchester), went to undergrad at SNHU, went to a good number of Monarchs games. They were hot at the start of their tenure there and had creative promotions, but by the time the AHL went westward there was already dwindling interest.

The ECHL failed there mostly because fans felt it was a slap in the face to be demoted and were mad at the Kings. If they just ceased operations even for a year and then put an ECHL franchise in there with a different name and branding, even if it was the same pro affiliation with LA, they'd probably have accepted it more. But having the Kings flip AHL and ECHL markets on them and being given lower-quality hockey with the same branding and such, massive rejection.

It seems like the hesitation to put a team back there is because organizations look at the failure of the ECHL Monarchs as an indictment on the market and not a reaction to the particular situation. I think if a different organization went in there they'd be moderately successful. It's a decent arena and a good market that doesn't have a lot of alternatives for entertainment. If they get the bad taste out of their mouth from what the Kings did and just go to enjoy hockey, it'll sell.
This is what I’ve been saying this whole time

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Maybe if Manchester's fans weren't a bunch of snobs who turned up their collective noses at a good product, they'd still have hockey. But they are, and they did just that, and so they got what they wanted: no hockey at all.
But they will get the AHL again! It is in their birthright!

I know this because they keep telling us that.

syracuse blazers

Jun 14, 2017
Maybe if Manchester's fans weren't a bunch of snobs who turned up their collective noses at a good product, they'd still have hockey. But they are, and they did just that, and so they got what they wanted: no hockey at all.
Being a older guy, who grew up in Syracuse when the old antics of the NAHL with
Ron Ingram head coach (Syracuse Blazers-Bill Goldthorpe) and the Long Island Cougars with
John Brophy. I have seen hockey wars Syracuse Eagles(ahl), Syracuse Blazers(NAHL)
Syracuse had multiple failures in the ahl Syracuse Eagles, Syracuse Firebirds

Sometimes, it is because of poor management, too many weekday games etc.
Minor league hockey should be played Friday, Saturday, Sunday afternoon.
or evening

I believe that all of us, take things for granted. Instead, be thankful for the
team you have regardless of the win-loss record. Teams do not grow on trees.
You do not own them and many of us are not aware of the work done by
your owner to keep that team in your town. Covid did horrible things
to owners' pocketbooks

Personally, I feel sad that so many towns no longer have hockey. Frankly not one of us have
any clue how any fan feels when they have lost their team.

Perhaps showing a bit more compassion for that fan would be in order.
Listen...Then be compassionate....

Kindness matters....

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Being a older guy, who grew up in Syracuse when the old antics of the NAHL with
Ron Ingram head coach (Syracuse Blazers-Bill Goldthorpe) and the Long Island Cougars with
John Brophy. I have seen hockey wars Syracuse Eagles(ahl), Syracuse Blazers(NAHL)
Syracuse had multiple failures in the ahl Syracuse Eagles, Syracuse Firebirds

Sometimes, it is because of poor management, too many weekday games etc.
Minor league hockey should be played Friday, Saturday, Sunday afternoon.
or evening

I believe that all of us, take things for granted. Instead, be thankful for the
team you have regardless of the win-loss record. Teams do not grow on trees.
You do not own them and many of us are not aware of the work done by
your owner to keep that team in your town. Covid did horrible things
to owners' pocketbooks

Personally, I feel sad that so many towns no longer have hockey. Frankly not one of us have
any clue how any fan feels when they have lost their team.

Perhaps showing a bit more compassion for that fan would be in order.
Listen...Then be compassionate....

Kindness matters....

Kindness matters, sure, but money talks.

The fans in Manchester didn't want to buy ECHL tickets because they thought they were too good for the ECHL, and now they don't have hockey and wish they did. I don't feel too badly for them, because they made their choice.

Management is a large factor in team failures, sure, but that's not entirely what happened here. A small city with a small population by AHL standards ended up with a team largely because of the reduced operating costs created by proximity to other AHL teams, despite the ownership/parent club being across the country. When the factors that made Manchester able to have AHL hockey went away and franchises moved west, they got another chance in the ECHL and turned up their noses.

They said, "Nothing but the AHL," so they're getting what they want: Nothing.

Last edited:

EH7

Aug 12, 2007
Interesting thread to say the least. I went to grad school at SNHU about a decade ago and remember going to many Monarchs games as well as playing/coaching at the (then) Verizon Wireless Arena. Back home in Halifax now, but as an outsider I was always impressed by how much Southern NH loved hockey in the two years I spent there.

The Q/L was once again whole & pure, and the League has shown no signs of wishing to expand again beyond Northeastern Canada. So good luck with Manchester turning that tide ... or any other tide ...
There is a tiny, miniscule chance that the new commissioner might change those tides. The travel isn't out of this world... within 4 hours to Drummondville/Victo, 5 to Blainville, 5.5 to Quebec City and 6 to Gatineau/SJ. But if the market won't accept "inferior" hockey it might be moot.

Reactions: JMCx4

CANADIENSFAN90

Oct 1, 2016
vermont
Your right echl better than nothing I really don’t understand why they rejected the echl so hard I think it’s more of the owners who took over the team after the kings they removed ticket packages they lost sponsors I remember the boards missing ads they scoreboard had a renewal thingy just overall the owners where horrible if they get someone who cares about the team it will sell

Last edited:

CANADIENSFAN90

Oct 1, 2016
vermont
I would be nice if there some updates getting hockey back to Manchester,nh there’s a committee trying to bring hockey back but so far no updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad