making room for the young guns

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
jvr to the ducks for ritchie+2nd+ stewart (pending ufa)

Bozak at $1.25 million retained for 2nd rounder

stamkos signed 7 years x $11.25 million

leafs win lottery....draft matthews

sign zaitsev

ritchie stamkos marner
lupul matthews nylander
komorov kadri brown
winnik goat leivo

rielly-hunwick
gardiner-phaneuf
percy-zaitsev
harrington

bernier
reimer

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
People are penciling in Percy and Loov. I suspect they don't watch the Marlies because Holl and Valiev are right there with Loov and Percy is a drop off from that group. Holl is just found money he is the surprise of the season so far.

Percy has the same problems he always had with a lack of physicality. He is really missing Granberg.

Holl is kind of forgotten when mentioning D moving up, myself included. I assume because he is new with the Marlies . I think you could rank him as one of the top D with the Marlies this year. He's looked good pretty well every game & sometimes he has been the steadiest of the bunch.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
jvr to the ducks for ritchie+2nd+ stewart (pending ufa)

Bozak at $1.25 million retained for 2nd rounder

stamkos signed 7 years x $11.25 million

leafs win lottery....draft matthews

sign zaitsev

ritchie stamkos marner
lupul matthews nylander
komorov kadri brown
winnik goat leivo

rielly-hunwick
gardiner-phaneuf
percy-zaitsev
harrington

bernier
reimer

With those trades and signings in mind.
If we won the lotto, I would hope Arizona slides into number 2.
Snag Domi + Chychrun for Matthews

Ritchie - Stamkos - Marner
Lupul - Nylander - Domi
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Winnik - Gauthier - Leivo

Chychrun - Rielly
Gardiner - Phaneuf
Hunwick - Zeitsev
Percy

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
We'll have to make room for youngsters rather sooner than later. We have people graduating from Marlies and coming over from Europe. We aren't Red Wings we don't have good veteran based playoff team. We have few pieces in our roster that might be keepers and then we have these hired guns. That really aren't that special, but we have prospects in our pipeline that can be future NHLers for us. If we don't start try outs soon we have log jam in Marlies if we keep this log jam in Leafs now. Would be nice to see what we have in Leivo, Percy and Panik. If we ease Nylander in later this season he isn't green in the start of the next season. Though I want to see him in the AHL playoffs.

Babcock don't have that core intact he has to build that from the pieces we have. I'm not worried because we have experienced front office.

Kapanen has played two seasons with men in FEL and it's interesting to see if Andreas Johnson can skip the AHL. If we want to sign player like Zaitsev we need to have room for him and if we don't know what we have in our system it's hard to make room for him. Or will he choose another organization with better chance to play.

Though positive problems that we have lots of youngsters, but it's bit of a problem if they all graduate at the same time. We might have to get rid of some of them and I'd like to make that decision based on every possible information we can gather.

This "playoff run" can affect our trading and promoting youngsters. I don't know if it's a good thing. Hopefully we trade some of our hired guns and tryout players like Nylander(if he stays this hot), Leivo, Percy, Loov, Holl etc.

Last edited:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Detroit due to their success have also never drafted top 10 in that time span. You can't really compare the development time required for a 4th OA pick like Marner to a later round pick like Tatar or Nyquist.

Larkin is the highest draft pick Detroit has had since 1991, and thats only at 15th OA. He made the NHL one year after being drafted. So I think it's safe to say that even the Red Wings would make exceptions for exceptional prospects.

Nylander and Marner were selected based on super elite skill, both are smaller players and need to fully mature before they can handle the rigours of NHL hockey.

Just look at Edmonton. McDavid, RNH, Yakupov... All their 1OA picks seemed to get injured and that isn't a coincidence or bad luck.

It's an indictment of the organization rushing players faster than they were ready.

As for Larkin, there are always exceptions to the rule. That's why I said it's a good guideline to temper expectations to. A few prospects will get there sooner, and that will be exciting.

Everyone here seems to have 90% of our 2014 draft selections making the team next year.

It's just not going to happen.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Nylander and Marner were selected based on super elite skill, both are smaller players and need to fully mature before they can handle the rigours of NHL hockey.

Just look at Edmonton. McDavid, RNH, Yakupov... All their 1OA picks seemed to get injured and that isn't a coincidence or bad luck.

It's an indictment of the organization rushing players faster than they were ready.

As for Larkin, there are always exceptions to the rule. That's why I said it's a good guideline to temper expectations to. A few prospects will get there sooner, and that will be exciting.

Everyone here seems to have 90% of our 2014 draft selections making the team next year.

Nylander is up to like 185lbs, he has NHL size at this point. And Marner has almost a full year to add size, so that's not the same as RNH, Yakupov, etc.

And I think the vast majority of people on here think Nylander is the only 2014 draft choice that will be on the team next year, most people (myself included) think Kapanen is very likely in the AHL next year for example.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010

That's not going to happen, but some of them might be in the AHL with players of 2013 crop. If some of the youngsters in the AHL graduate to the NHL we get to see what we have there and we get room to the Marlies for the new guys so they can get into bigger role there.

New guy should push the old guy off the roster but we need little room in the Leafs rather sooner(before TDL) than later. You just can't dump guys in the NHL. We have good share of NHL dman and Marlies is stacked with good young AHL man. We should see what they can do in the NHL before we have to make decisions about trading them or keeping them.

If we start to draft well we have this constant shuffle to the point that we have our core mainly set. Good thing is that we are testing Froese now and we gave Clune a chance but he couldn't run with it. Next in the line is probably Leivo and maybe we can see what Corrado is made off.

I just hope that this playoff hope won't get in the way of this process... We still should think about long term gain and trade some of the hired guns.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Room will be made when players earn/steal the spots, Babs was very clear about this. We will not be making room for anyone.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nylander is up to like 185lbs, he has NHL size at this point. And Marner has almost a full year to add size, so that's not the same as RNH, Yakupov, etc.

And I think the vast majority of people on here think Nylander is the only 2014 draft choice that will be on the team next year, most people (myself included) think Kapanen is very likely in the AHL next year for example.

To think there was a point where Kapanen was the more highly regarded prospect pre draft.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Elite Prospects has Willie at 190lbs. That's NHL size.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Nylander is the only 2014 draftee people are saying will make the team next year.

2010 - (Granberg, Carrick, Hyman)
2011 - Leivo, Percy, Sparks
2012 - Brown, (Leipsic, Loov)
2013 - (Johnson, Bibeau)
2014 - Nylander, (Kapanen)
2015 - Marner

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I think after the trade deadline we'll see: Leivo, Harrington and Leipsic up with the Leafs. All can play, though not top line potential IMO, but the chance of seeing how they react to the experience gives the Leafs a better chance to determine their potential for next year and/or if each or any plays well, they may be used for draft day purposes. Perhaps one of the goalies as well (if we trade). Maybe Nylander gets his 9 games, but I think the Leafs want him to be 'the man' for the Marlies this year and gain the experience of a deep run to the AHL championship. If one of L/H/L proves to be better than expected I could see 4, at the max 5 of this year's prospects starting for the Leafs next fall.
1)Nylander - a lock.
2)Marner - a lock if physically he is strong enough, more seasoning if not.
3/4)One, maybe two of L/H/L
4/5)Kapanen or Brown + Percy or Valiev
This doesn't take into consideration the potential of a strong young player in a JVR trade at which point I would probably remove one of the above and insert that player instead. I just can't see the team accepting more than 5 'rookies' at the start of next year. It would be suicide. Add Matthews or Cherchyn (got to learn to spell that name) and maybe, Maybe 6, but I'd still go with a max of 5...I think :laugh:

Last edited:

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I view them in 3 categories:

Potential top of the line players who will be far to good to learn by being sent down:
William Nylander
Mitch Marner

All reaching that stage where they'll need to get NHL minutes. Leafs will create a competition by opening up something like 3 spots. Not all of them will make it next (or ever) just like Holzer, D'Amigo, Frattin, Caputi, etc). They also are all good candidates to get dealt out like Colborne or Stalberg once were and I'm betting we'll try for a 2/3 piece deal for something we really like/want (or a take with cap troubles):
Kasperi Kapanen = 20 Pro NA Games
Connor Brown = 1 Pro NA Season
Andreas Johnson = 0 Pro AHL Games
Zach Hyman = 16 Pro AHL Games
Nikita Soshnikov = 18 Pro AHL Games
Josh Leivo = 130 Games < 2 Pro NA Seasons

Unless it's Auston Matthews very likely sent back to junior for another year:
2016 1st pick

How are any of those players at the point where they should be traded?
If Leivo ( the only player not waiver exempt next season ) doesnt make the team you trade him. All other players still have lots of time

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I think after the trade deadline we'll see: Leivo, Harrington and Leipsic up with the Leafs. All can play, though not top line potential IMO, but the chance of seeing how they react to the experience gives the Leafs a better chance to determine their potential for next year and/or if each or any plays well, they may be used for draft day purposes. Perhaps one of the goalies as well (if we trade). Maybe Nylander gets his 9 games, but I think the Leafs want him to be 'the man' for the Marlies this year and gain the experience of a deep run to the AHL championship. If one of L/H/L proves to be better than expected I could see 4, at the max 5 of this year's prospects starting for the Leafs next fall.
1)Nylander - a lock.
2)Marner - a lock if physically he is strong enough, more seasoning if not.
3/4)One, maybe two of L/H/L
4/5)Kapanen or Brown + Percy or Valiev
This doesn't take into consideration the potential of a strong young player in a JVR trade at which point I would probably remove one of the above and insert that player instead. I just can't see the team accepting more than 5 'rookies' at the start of next year. It would be suicide. Add Matthews or Cherchyn (got to learn to spell that name) and maybe, Maybe 6, but I'd still go with a max of 5...I think :laugh:

Harrington has already made the team and has played 14 games.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2015-16

VanRyk 27- Kadri 26 - Marner 19
Komarov 29 - Nylander 20 - Lupul 33
Holland 25 - Bozak 30 - Brown 22
Winnik 31 - Froese 25 - Leivo 23
(Panik 25)

Gardiner 26 - Rielly 22
Percy 23 - Phaneuf 31
Harrington 23 - Corrado 23
(Marincin 24)

Reimer 28
Bernier 28

Marlies

Kapanen 20 - Leipsic 22 - Johnson 22
Timashov 20 - Gauthier 21 - Soshnikov 23
Bailey 25 - Carrick 24 - Hyman 24
Piccinich 20 - Rupert 22 -

Dermott 20 - Valiev 21
Holl 24 - Nielsen 20
Loov 24 -- Desrochers 20

Sparks 23
Bibeau 22

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
2015-16

VanRyk 27- Kadri 26 - Marner 19
Komarov 29 - Nylander 20 - Lupul 33
Holland 25 - Bozak 30 - Brown 22
Winnik 31 - Froese 25 - Leivo 23
(Panik 25)

Gardiner 26 - Rielly 22
Percy 23 - Phaneuf 31
Harrington 23 - Corrado 23
(Marincin 24)

Reimer 28
Bernier 28

Marlies

Kapanen 20 - Leipsic 22 - Johnson 22
Timashov 20 - Gauthier 21 - Soshnikov 23
Bailey 25 - Carrick 24 - Hyman 24
Piccinich 20 - Rupert 22 -

Dermott 20 - Valiev 21
Holl 24 - Nielsen 20
Loov 24 -- Desrochers 20

Sparks 23
Bibeau 22
Im thinking you mean 2016-17

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
When I listen to management talking about the Shanaplan, I feel that Nylander won't be on the Leafs next season.

It isn't just about him being physically "ready" or having enough experience.

Part of this process is setting up a system and structure.

Just watch The Leafs: Blueprint. In episode 1 you hear Shanahan talking about the kids needing to be taught from day 1 about what it takes to be successful, and dealing with adversity.

I think they're making Nylander the face of that process, and giving him an ultra-dose of adversity to mould him into a leader for the Marlies and eventually promote him once they have someone else to fill that role.

I'm not super confident about that but I would say 40% odds that Nylander spends 2016-17 in the AHL. At least to start the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad