making room for the young guns

champs*

Is it possible to have this many rookies on next seasons team and we have to make room.

Kasperi Kapanen
Connor Brown
Andreas Johnson
William Nylander
Mitch Marner
Zach Hyman
Nikita Soshnikov
Josh Leivo
2016 1st pick?

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
More likely:

Connor Brown
William Nylander
Mitch Marner
Nikita Soshnikov
Josh Leivo
Stuart Percy
Viktor Loov

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
We're very likely going to free up the spots of:

Grabner
Matthias
Spaling
Parenteau
Boyes

There's a decent chance we free up the spots of:
Bozak
Lupul

The following players are very likely to start in the AHL next year:
Kapenen
Johnson

The 2016 1st round pick will not be in the NHL unless it's Matthews (less than 20% chance).

I don't foresee any problem fitting in all players who show they can play in the NHL.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Kasperi Kapanen
Connor Brown
Andreas Johnson
William Nylander
Mitch Marner
Zach Hyman
Nikita Soshnikov
Josh Leivo

- Brown, Leivo and Nylander all have a good chance to play at some point this year, and if they don't they're locks to start next season.
- Hyman, Soshnikov and Marner all have a good chance to play next season at some point.
- Johnson and Kapanen play on the Marlies next season.

I think a possible roster by the end of next season might have one rookie per line (Some of which will already have NHL experience) and a couple on defense..

JVR - Kadri - Brown
Winnik - Nylander - Boyes
Holland - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Froese - Hyman
*Soshnikov and Leipsic first call-ups

Hunwick - Rielly
Gardiner - Loov
Harrington - Corrado
Percy

Last edited:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
this is a lot of rookies don't you think?

It IS a lot of rookies, which is why that would never happen under Babcock. Ever.

5 at the very most, could never be more than that.

Nylander, Marner, Brown are near guarantees.

Maybe Shoshnikov and Kapanen get in, but it's no guarantee.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
A few of those guys will get a look after the deadline. Leivo, Nylander, Brown and Hyman are probably going to play a chunk of games this year.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Is it possible to have this many rookies on next seasons team and we have to make room.

Kasperi Kapanen
Connor Brown
Andreas Johnson
William Nylander
Mitch Marner
Zach Hyman
Nikita Soshnikov
Josh Leivo
2016 1st pick?
Nylander Hyman Soshnikov. So 3
Leivo or he's traded
Would like to see one of Percy and or Lööv honorable mention Zaitsev
Marner if he is strong enough
Imo 3-5 and that seems like a lot.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
- Brown, Leivo and Nylander all have a good chance to play at some point this year, and if they don't they're locks to start next season.
- Hyman, Soshnikov and Marner all have a good chance to play next season at some point.
- Johnson and Kapanen play on the Marlies next season.

I think a possible roster by the end of next season might have one rookie per line (Some of which will already have NHL experience) and a couple on defense..

JVR - Kadri - Brown
Winnik - Nylander - Boyes
Holland - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Froese - Hyman

Rielly - Hunwick
Gardiner - Loov
Harrington - Corrado
Percy
Looks about right bit Browns injury worries me. Out indefinitely could see him start in the AHL next year.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Looks about right bit Browns injury worries me. Out indefinitely could see him start in the AHL next year.

Agreed, we definitely have to wait and see with Connor. Another wildcard is Granberg, he was on track to make the Leafs before his injury.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Agreed, we definitely have to wait and see with Connor. Another wildcard is Granberg, he was on track to make the Leafs before his injury.

Ya. An Achilles is probably the worst injury. Karlsson said he didn't feel close to 100% until a full year later, but made it back because he is a great skater and Petter Granberg is no where near that skating level. Remember Boland after his injury? Horribad. Literally bad to worse.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Ya. An Achilles is probably the worst injury. Karlsson said he didn't feel close to 100% until a full year later, but made it back because he is a great skater and Petter Granberg is no where near that skating level. Remember Boland after his injury? Horribad. Literally bad to worse.

Yeah it's pretty unfortunate, hopefully he bounces back.

amack081

Nov 1, 2015
JVR-Kadri-Komarov
Holland-Nylander-Lupul
UFA-Bozak-Marner
Winnik-Froese-Leivo
UFA or Leipsic

Hunwick-Reilly
Gardiner-Phaneuf
Harrington-Corrado
Percy

Bernier
UFA

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think Leivo, Nylander and Percy are going to be on the team by the end of the year. Possibly with Nylander starting on the wing if Bozak is still here.

Forgot about Brown's injury, he'd probably finish out the year in the AHL and hopefully over the summer he can recover and make the Leafs.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm not going to guess who will be in the NHL next year, but I can assure you if Marner is in the NHL next year, it will not be in the bottom six role...it would be in the top six.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Competition for spots is always good. We won't have room for everyone. I can see some trading of extra bodies for a goalie or D prospect.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Loov & Percy better hope some D get moved from the Leafs.

Brown, might extend into next season to properly recover, unless he makes a spectacular recovery this season.

Kapanen, maybe. Haven't seen enough of him so far, but he looks good with very high skill level & excellent shot when he's here. May extend into next year in the AHL.

Hyman, no.

Andreas Johnson, I don't know, some time in the AHL may be beneficial & probably most likely unless he is amazing at camp.

William Nylander, yes.

Mitch Marner, yes, but I would not be overly surprised if they sent him back to the OHL, but still yes.

Nikita Soshnikov, yes. He's good with huge upside.

Josh Leivo, probably, not sure though.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I'm not going to guess who will be in the NHL next year, but I can assure you if Marner is in the NHL next year, it will not be in the bottom six role...it would be in the top six.

Thinking like this is becoming a bit archaic. Babcock rolls the lines well, and every line is used as a 'scoring' line except the 4th, which is usually reserved for penalty kill.

I'm willing to bet that when Marner cracks the line-up, it's as the 3rd line right winger in a PAP like role.

Unbiased

Oct 31, 2015
It IS a lot of rookies, which is why that would never happen under Babcock. Ever.

5 at the very most, could never be more than that.

Nylander, Marner, Brown are near guarantees.

Maybe Shoshnikov and Kapanen get in, but it's no guarantee.

Nylander Leivo Percy and Marner at a max IMO.

Can't see Brown with this injury unless he comes back and destroys

Unbiased

Oct 31, 2015
Expectations need to be tempered on how many rookies come up. IMO don't be suprised if its only 4 next year (Nylander, Leivo, Marner, Percy/loov). Even just 3 wouldnt shock me.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Up front we've got a lot of bodies who will be leaving and can create room for the young guys if they make it. On the backend we have a bit of a log jam. It sounds like we're signing Zaitsev. Assume Polak's traded and Robidas' on IR

Gardiner Phaneuf
Hunwick Rielly
Harrington Zaitsev
Percy Loov
Marincin Corrado
Granberg

That's a lot of bodies

champs*

Up front we've got a lot of bodies who will be leaving and can create room for the young guys if they make it. On the backend we have a bit of a log jam. It sounds like we're signing Zaitsev. Assume Polak's traded and Robidas' on IR

Gardiner Phaneuf
Hunwick Rielly
Harrington Zaitsev
Percy Loov
Marincin Corrado
Granberg

That's a lot of bodies

i have no idea what's going on with the d-men, :shakehead

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I think Phaneuf, Lupul, Bozak, and Polak are four vets that will be traded at the deadline or in the summer. There`s also PAP, Boyes, Matthias and Grabner that could be trade bait as well. Could be lots of spots to fill next year.

Perhaps some of those spots get filled with UFA signings, others by way of the trades made at the deadline, and then two or three get brought up from the Marlies and Marner from the OHL. The Leafs are definitely going to have a very different team iced for next year, but not all will be promoted from the farm, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad