Make Whole, Not War (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I'm totally aware it doesn't happen in the snap of a finger. I've been explained the process of booking these events. I guess we'll see. I'd love for the season to start sooner but i'm under the impression that when they announce a cancellation, they are well aware things could change and instead of canceling a week at a time, they killed the whole month. I don't see how they can go back on their word to all the teams in the league after letting them begin process' of finding other events to fulfill the month.

If some owners have booked something in November in place of a hockey game, the league will most likely adjust the schedule however they need to to ensure that at the end of the regular season, all teams have played the same amount of games. However, don't you think the owners would prefer to have hockey back on those dates than to go looking for people to rent the arena? I don't think there's an issue of going back on their 'word'. I don't think the owners don't have anything lined up, I don't think they're going want the league to keep their 'word' while their arena sits empty making no money.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
That's simple, the superbowl's only fallen on Feb 1st twice in it's history. They could have it the first Saturday in Feb, or last Saturday in January, or even later.

I see your point, they don't want to go up against playoff football at any level. But if they have it on a Saturday during the NFL playoffs, you go up against maybe 1 NFL game, in a different time slot.

Moving it for the lockout would allow the league to say something along the lines of "we moved it for the lockout, and had a better result on a different date, so we'll keep it there" rather than look they they're just giving up going up against NFL/College Football.

If its the last Saturday in January, or even the second last Saturday in January, there will be no NFL football. They would probably wise to avoid the first Saturday of February, as playing on the eve of the Super Bowl will drown out their promotion of the event.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
adater ‏@adater
Miracle alert: I'm told by usually skeptical people that some real progress was actually made late last night in NHL lockout talks

adater ‏@adater
Still got to get down to "nitty gritty" though

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
I have no idea how the schedule is going to work and it seems like nobody else has a clear idea on here either. I'm just saying the month has been cancelled for sure and I dont think they can undo that.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Sounds like minor issues so far. If the rest is the same, little will be accomplished in fixing this financial mess. I expect another lockout in 7 yrs. Especially when the economy is likely to face major headwinds in the next 2-3 yrs. Single rooms? Hmmm.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That'd be a real shame... although I just want the league back up and running, so I wouldn't complain either way

If they can put together a 64 game season say, they might be able to squeeze in a few groups of inter conference games?

64 game season (under the same games played theory of last years. 6 division games, 4 conference games.

it would be 24 division games, 40 conference games. so 64 games exactly.

Hanklite*

Do we even know that Bettman is the chief negotiator for the NHL? Sure he is the commish but that doesn't mean that Daly could be in charge of the negotiations.

And I wouldn't be shocked to see Steve Ferh negotiate for the NHLPA as a way of replacing his brother after this CBA is settled.

Hanklite*

I'm not quite sure what you're saying but regular season games cannot begin before december 1st now. No matter what. I don't think their will be a pre-season either obviously. Training camp can start whenever though.

This is wrong. The already scheduled games of November where cancelled.

If a new deal is struck soon, they would have to create a new schedule and open arena dates in November could be utilized.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
64 game season (under the same games played theory of last years. 6 division games, 4 conference games.

If they were talking 82 games starting November 2nd, they could EASILY do 74 games starting mid-late November.

So you can have 10 games against the other conference.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
We'll see what happens at the meeting.

Nothing will change unless players accept a linked proposal and I'm not sure they're gonna do that.

But at least they are seemingly making progress on core issues.

PKarey Plekoretty

Nov 16, 2011

So you're tellin me I have no chance of seeing my Habs here in Calgary this season? :p:

Dah well, this would certainly be a welcomed "problem" for me at this point

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If they were talking 82 games starting November 2nd, they could EASILY do 74 games starting mid-late November.

So you can have 10 games against the other conference.

they are going to fit in as many games as they possibly can that is for sure.

there will no longer be 3 games in 4 nights, and then a week off once a new schedule is crafted.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I have no idea how the schedule is going to work and it seems like nobody else has a clear idea on here either. I'm just saying the month has been cancelled for sure and I dont think they can undo that.

My guess is, Training camp starts the week after US Thanksgiving.

Hanklite*

The NHL has already said it needs 9 days after a deal is reached to start the season. There is no reason to wait until December 1st if a deal is stuck on November 10th or so. That's just bad business.

Stuck in Socal

Dec 31, 2009
If the PA has a good call and they say like NHL moving in right direction etc I will feel optimistic.

There is still a chance you hear phrases like no gain for players and just a media spin by NHL.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The NHL has already said it needs 9 days after a deal is reached to start the season. There is no reason to wait until December 1st if a deal is stuck on November 10th or so. That's just bad business.
9 days and the league will start playing games:laugh: Bettman must be correct, they can push any crap on the fans and we'll buy it. Preseason phttt..

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Any specifics at all from the meeting, or just vague optimism?

Vague stuff. Could be very positive, usually stuff happens when the media knows little.

I'd suspect we'll have a better idea after the conference meeting by the NHLPA at 3:30 et today.

Hammer out some details, throw in a few year-by-year changes, top it with a little bit of creme fraiche........yeah, that's how to get it done.

Ilrider

Mar 27, 2012
Chicago Burbs
MOD

I was wondering if a 70-game schedule is a possibility if that start date were also feasible. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
9 days and the league will start playing games:laugh: Bettman must be correct, they can push any crap on the fans and we'll buy it. Preseason phttt..

why is that so out of reach? 5 day camp, 2 game preseason and poof we are at 9 days.

any one that thinks it can't be up and running fast thinks the nhl is going to run a full rookie camp, preseason.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
I was wondering if a 70-game schedule is a possibility if that start date were also feasible. Any thoughts?

MOD

Here's what we can say. The NHL has officially canceled games through the end of November. It is extremely unlikely that the NHL will "un-cancel" these games.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
70 games would probably be tight, and might not give the players enough time off in an already tense time of the season.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

Yes, they should be able to do that. They should be able to have a 70 game season starting from Dec 1st too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad