Makar and MacKinnon Vs Dahlin and Peak Peter Forsberg for this season?

Which duo would you take for this season?

• Neutral fan take Mackinnon and Makar

Votes: 92 46.0%
  • Neutral fan take Dahlin and Peak Peter Forsberg

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Colorado fan take MacKinnon and Makar

Votes: 22 11.0%
  • Colorado fan take Dahlin and Peak Peter Forsberg

Votes: 10 5.0%

• Total voters

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Avs pair, since they've already proven they can play well and win together.

No telling if Dahlin and Forsberg have even met, let alone whether or not they'd mesh well on the same team.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Are we assuming Mackinnon and Makar are peaked or the current near-future version of who they are?

Ill go with Foppa because the likelihood of any of the other three hitting that level in a singular year is limited.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The problem with Peak Forsberg, was that he’s gonna miss 15-30 games a year. He’s probably a superior player to MacKinnon in a 121 but losing all that time?

Nasty Nate and Kale.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The problem with Peak Forsberg, was that he’s gonna miss 15-30 games a year. He’s probably a superior player to MacKinnon in a 121 but losing all that time?

Nasty Nate and Kale.

To be fair, MacKinnon and Makar have had their share of missed games the the past 3 years.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Mackinnon and Forsberg are similar
Makar is light years ahead of Dahlin

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
People really seem to underrate Peter Forsberg. His peak was on a level MacKinnon hasn’t touched yet. His PPG career is 9th all-time and just 0.025 behind Crosby. And he did most of this in the dead puck era. MacKinnon may reach that level with time but he’s not quite there yet imo.

That said the current gap between Dahlin and Makar is so massive the small difference from Forsberg to MacKinnon can’t touch it.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
If you just wanted to gauge Dahlin's standing on HF, just make a poll about that. Seems pretty clear he was shoehorned into this debate.

Reactions: Regal

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted option 1, hard to pass up Makar/Mack after last season.

I will say that for the longest time I was in the camp of Dahlin > Makar, that Dahlin would still end up better in the long run. I admit that for the past ~year or so, I've changed my tune, as my regards for Makar increased a lot with him constantly doing so well.

I know it's early season - but Dahlin is doing fantastic so far. I wonder if he's finally due to explode. There's a reason he was always rated so highly from everyone - there's still a chance he could match and even surpass Makar.

But - safe choice for this year only is to stick with Makar/Mack.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
So if Dahlin wins the Norris this year, does that mean he surpassed Makar?
He's light years ahead?

I wonder what it looks like if Dahlin starts in Colorado and Makar starts in Buffalo with Kreuger.

Makar is obviously the best d man right now, but I really don't think he's "light years" ahead of Dahlin.
My thoughts exactly. It's hard to judge defenseman sometimes because the outcome of thier play can be determined by what type of team thier on. You can put a mediocre defenseman on a great team and he'll probably look better then a great defenseman on a bad team. Not that any one of these players are bad, or saying who's better then who. But could being surrounded by Stanley Cup talent make you look way better or even play better then someone surrounded by last place talent? Absolutely.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He's light years ahead?

I wonder what it looks like if Dahlin starts in Colorado and Makar starts in Buffalo with Kreuger.

Makar is obviously the best d man right now, but I really don't think he's "light years" ahead of Dahlin.
Makar in Buffalo would be like Makar playing on Colorado

Dahlin in Colorado would still struggle

They aren’t the same

Reactions: Miro4Norris

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
He's light years ahead?

Let's see,
Dahlin:
1666623209164.png

Makar:
1666623193018.png

Add a 2nd place Norris finish, a Norris trophy, a Conn Smythe. So tell me how you would describe them? They're close? lol.

Everyone makes the Buffalo vs Colorado argument, ever think that Colorado is good because they have Makar?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Let's see,
Dahlin:
View attachment 598233
Makar:
View attachment 598232

Add a 2nd place Norris finish, a Norris trophy, a Conn Smythe. So tell me how you would describe them? They're close? lol.

Everyone makes the Buffalo vs Colorado argument, ever think that Colorado is good because they have Makar?

Career to date is not close - ability as of today? That's likely a lot closer.

Dahlin started at the NHL at 18, Makar at 21.
Makar's first Norris contention season was at age 22 (he finished 2nd) - Dahlin is 22 this season. Off to a great start with 8 points (5 goals) in 5 games.

I think trying to evaluate them as players today can't be a case of looking at career to date, because of ages involved.

I still certainly place Makar ahead - but Dahlin always had tremendous potential, so it's not all that unlikely that he could close the gap considerably.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Let's see,
Dahlin:
View attachment 598233
Makar:
View attachment 598232

I said he's not "light years" ahead of him. He didn't have a coach that was literally trying to turn him into a defensive d man. It's like you read nothing I wrote lmao.

Colorado was good before Makar? He literally had his debut in the playoffs.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I said he's not "light years" ahead of him. He didn't have a coach that was literally trying to turn him into a defensive d man. It's like you read nothing I wrote lmao.

Colorado was good before Makar? He literally had his debut in the playoffs.
They were the 8th seed. They were shut out in game 1 and barely squeezed out a win in OT in game 2. They dominated Calgary after Makar joined the team and basically became a powerhouse the next season.

38-30-14 is not exactly an elite team.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021

They aren’t the same
"Makar in Buffalo would be like Makar playing on Colorado"

I really doubt it. Makar would come into one of the worst teams in the league & a coach that didn't believe in d men carrying the puck up. He'd have a coach that would try to turn him into a stay at home defenceman.

Dahlin would come into a playoff team filled with talent & a coach that isn't trying to sabotage him.

Situations reversed I think Dahlin would be considered a top 5 d man right now & Makar would be in the top 15 range.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
They were the 8th seed. They were shut out in game 1 and barely squeezed out a win in OT in game 2. They dominated Calgary after Makar joined the team and basically became a powerhouse the next season.

38-30-14 is not exactly an elite team.
They were also 43-30-9 the year before that. That's a huge difference from one of the worst teams in the league.

Reactions: triggrman

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

They aren’t the same
Many people here underestimate the gap MacKinnon < Forsberg and overestimate the gap Makar > Dahlin. Actually overall it’s closer than seems

This. Obviously the gap between Forsberg > MacKinnon is bigger than Makar > Dahlin. Many people have forgotten about the dominance of prime Forsberg.
MacKinnon has 657 p in 644 games at age 27. Forsberg had 885 p in 708 games for his entire career and in the dead puck era, and he was even more dominant in the playoffs. Not to mention he was a superior physical and defensive player.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This. Obviously the gap between Forsberg > MacKinnon is bigger than Makar > Dahlin. Many people have forgotten about the dominance of prime Forsberg.
MacKinnon has 657 p in 644 games at age 27. Forsberg had 885 p in 708 games for his entire career and in the dead puck era, and he was even more dominant in the playoffs. Not to mention he was a superior physical and defensive player.

Focusing on career numbers is weak. MacKinnon starting slow is irrelevant to who he is today, or has been the past 5 years, where he’s 3rd in league scoring and tied for 3rd in points per game, and has three Hart finalist seasons. Forsberg was better defensively and a better overall possession player, but production is relatively close between them.

Reactions: bobholly39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad