Macklin Celebrini to Pittsburgh thread.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There’s about 2-3 guys worth taking who could help us NOW but the Pens would have to know their chances of getting one within 3 days after the draft lottery….the Dmen won’t be ready for years, which is fine if you were conceding this is a rebuild, which Dubas isn’t…if you want someone who can compete this upcoming season or the next season, then Dubas should give the pick to SJ unless he gets into the top three imo

Reactions: The Old Master

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
There’s about 2-3 guys worth taking who could help us NOW but the Pens would have to know their chances of getting one within 3 days after the draft lottery….the Dmen won’t be ready for years, which is fine if you were conceding this is a rebuild, which Dubas isn’t…if you want someone who can compete this upcoming season or the next season, then Dubas should give the pick to SJ unless he gets into the top three imo
who's your 3?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
who's your 3?
Celebrini of course, Demidov but only if he can come over (I don’t buy the argument that he’s only played against youth, he could start) and probably Helenius but only as a bottom six player and not sure he’ll be over…everyone else probably needs more time than a year or half a year…

Reactions: The Old Master

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Nobody this team's gonna draft is gonna help immediately short of Celebrini, and I'm not even sure he'd help because Sully would be coaching him. :laugh:
Crosby in his prime couldn't help this team. Malkin is a shell, Letang has fallen off a cliff, EK hasn't helped the power play, they just traded away their best winger. They're done.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Crosby in his prime couldn't help this team. Malkin is a shell, Letang has fallen off a cliff, EK hasn't helped the power play, they just traded away their best winger. They're done.
Right, so unless you’re getting the top few elite talent in this draft, give the pick to SJ if it’s in the back half of the top 10

Reactions: The Grim Reaper

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
All it takes is one ball.

Gary-Bettman-smile.jpg

Sorry to intrude, but it's actually more than one ball for lottery draws. It's because of the unusual percentage allocations per eligible team.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Celebrini is about the only for sure guy I could see being on a roster next year, especially ours with as full as it is.

It's highly likely that whoever we get will stay where they are at. I question whether Demidov is ready now. If he were putting up Michkov numbers in the KHL, I'd say yes but he's destroying the MHL. Who knows how it transfers at the moment. The only guys I would be looking at next year, would be Celebrini, Lindstrom, Helenius, and Saliyev only because these are physically mature guys and/or are playing in men's leagues with good numbers. Problem though, Saliyev is 17 now and while he's a big dude, he's still young. That's the problem with a few of these guys - if they aren't ready now, what do you do with them? Demidov is going to the KHL, all others are taking another year in Juniors, Saliyev another year in the KHL, and you're just kicking the can down the road another year (no different than what we did with Yager).

So I think that has to be the expectation unless you get Celebrini. I wonder if you could take one of the project dmen such as Silayev, Levshunov, Parekh, or Dickinson and then at next year's trade deadline, look to move Pettersson for a big return. Or, more ideally, you take RD in draft like Levshunov and look to move Karlsson. We could easily find two dmen in this draft that could replace Pettersson and Karlsson allowing us to move them for big returns such as the Pettersson for Bahl+1st or Holtz+1st.

Take the two best forwards with your 2 2nds and then BPA after that. That would give you a prospect pool of:

Forward: Yager, Pono, Kouivnen, Ilyin, Luius, and then a couple of long shots. I would look to add Terik Parascak or Tanner Howe if we luck out and get a 1st from Carolina. Or I would look to add Lucas Pettersson and Dean Letourneau with our 2nds.

Defense: Pickering, Pieniniemi, and Levshunov. Then add in what we can get from return from Karlsson.

If you can reshape the defense to something like:

POJ-Letang
Pettersson-Levshunov
Graves-Ludvig
Pickering

that could probably be a sufficient defense with the idea that Pickering will slowly move his way up and POJ solidifies his play and becomes a reliably top pairing guy - which I think he can if given the chance.

More ideally, you can look to send out both Karlsson AND Graves if you can find takers. NJ fans were curious about a Siegenthaler swap which I would do. I wouldn't be shy about asking a team like Calgary if they have interest since they just lost the majority of their dmen. Same with Carolina since Skjei and Pesce will price themselves out of the market. I just don't know what kind of value Graves holds in the eyes of the league GMs.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Celebrini of course, Demidov but only if he can come over (I don’t buy the argument that he’s only played against youth, he could start) and probably Helenius but only as a bottom six player and not sure he’ll be over…everyone else probably needs more time than a year or half a year…
if anyone can get demidov to come over it would be geno. i was looking at lindstrom we seem to be headed for a small team and just his size would help. imo not sure i would want to pick him that high though.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Jarome Iginla’s Son (ranked around 11) would be a nice consolation prize since it could lead to Sullivan either A. Getting fired or B. Pressure to play the kid sooner rather than later. Win win.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
When dafuq did Harkins get traded? 🤯

Also, Malkin personally isn't going to have ANY effect on getting Russian players out. What will is bribes and willingness to be associated with organized crime to facilitate this.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Even if Demidov could play, will he? EP says he’s under contract through 24/25.

I’m thinking Catton could play right away. Maybe not being super impactful but in a Zach Benson sort of way.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just hope, if they keep the pick, they pick the player with the highest upside in the end. I don't care if the pick never sees the same ice as Crosby tbh, as long as it ends up the right pick.

Going for guys who can step in and play now likely means getting guys who play a game NHL coaches approve of; which is boring, uneventful, and does nothing particularly well. :laugh:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are in the first phase here of rebuilding the roster. Father time is making the decisions here. Geno is sliding and mot able to over come suspect wingers. Letang has issues but Graves is so poor it has affected his play. Sid can play but no question he is not the 82 game player now. Dubas has to know getting younger bigger with deeper prospect pool is now the way to go.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
I just hope, if they keep the pick, they pick the player with the highest upside in the end. I don't care if the pick never sees the same ice as Crosby tbh, as long as it ends up the right pick.

Going for guys who can step in and play now likely means getting guys who play a game NHL coaches approve of; which is boring, uneventful, and does nothing particularly well. :laugh:
IIRC Dubas told the scouts before the last draft to go for the players with the highest upside, so I assume they will do the same in this draft. On the other it´s the Pens and they don't do the most logical that often, so we will never know.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

I agree, it would be like Jordan Staal all over again. It didn't work out horrible but Kessel, Toews and Backstrom all turned out to be much better and everyone (except Pens brass) seemed to know it at the time too.

I had them ranked Toews, Backstrom, then Kessel. I wasn't even considering Staal and was worried he was being ranked high because of his name. Kessel I had last because his awkwardness wasn't endearing to me at the time.

They need to draft skill.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Even if Demidov could play, will he? EP says he’s under contract through 24/25.

I’m thinking Catton could play right away. Maybe not being super impactful but in a Zach Benson sort of way.
lindstrom could play right away. 6'-4'' 218# could be our next horny, only better
SCOUTING REPORT
Prior to the 2023 season start, he didn't have the resume to justify being an early first rounder, but there is too much I like to not have him there now. At six foot four plus, he has a rare combination of size, above average skating ability, the ability to make plays in tight areas, and strong hockey instincts. He hasn't put his game altogether, but has all the outstanding tools in his size, skills, and hands that screams scary potential. He has the power and finesse that team covet. He was moved permanently to centre this season and he has shown plenty of new offensive generation ability with his fakes, set-ups and pass deception. At his size, he controls the middle of the ice and dominate the territorial play in his shorts, easily moving pucks out of danger, keeping teams pinned in their own end with a tumultuous forecheck. His skating is surprisingly good for such a large kid. In December he sustained an upper body injury, but no one has looked more dominant in the WHL this season. There are very few 6’ 4” -220 lb 17 year old centres who move with his agility or has as much puck skill as he does. He has found a balance this season using his patience and creativity to create separation, using his teammates effectively and using his strength each and size to force his way to middle ice or to the net. Some team will take him early, as he projects as a special player who engages defensively, transports the puck really well, wins puck battles, and displays one heck of a shot.
ps, at 17 he's still growing

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If Pens can move up from top 10 in the lottery and finsh top 5, that allows the RD or Center to be taken. But say at 8 to 10, still like the RD with size and then if Dubas can move Smith for a 2 at the draft, Pens have 3 seconds to move up and get a RW. I believe Dubas knows Rust after next season and Karlsson will be players that bring back nice prospects and picks as well. After next year the two remaining issues are Sid's extension or trade and Geno if his play just is no longer good enough. Pens continue to build the prospect talent pool and still have Letang, Petts, Graves who hopefully is better and Ludvig, and whoever they have to play RD. Also with the center in Yagar, probably here and Poulin plus the trade pick up from the Carolina trade, Pens have options at center.

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
Deslauriers scores last night for Philly......only Ross Johnston (ANA) has more games and ZERO goals than our boy Harkins (amongst forwards). Heal fast kid.....there are records to break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad