Macklin Celebrini to Pittsburgh thread.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Rankings are tough this year. If you use EP and click guys in the top 10, they show you where they rank on others lists and honestly, it's all over the place. Usually at this point we start to see some consensus but the only one there is - Celebrini which makes sense. Hell, Bobby Mac has Demidov at like #7.

Catton is an interesting one to me as well. He's right at the #10 mark or so which makes me wonder exactly WHEN we have to tell SJS if we transfer the pick. Like, can we wait to see who is on the board and if we don't like them, THEN transfer or does it have to be done by a certain deadline?
Honestly I don’t subscribe to the notion that this is a weak draft at the top. At least a couple of Yakemchuk, Buium, Eiserman and Helenius will be there at 10 with Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Dickenson, Silayev and Levshunov presumably going ahead of that pack.

But if it is Catton that falls, you RUN for that do-it-all playmaking 1C.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
All it takes is one ball.

Gary-Bettman-smile.jpg
Shouldn't this be a picture of Kessel?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Honestly I don’t subscribe to the notion that this is a weak draft at the top. At least a couple of Yakemchuk, Buium, Eiserman and Helenius will be there at 10 with Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Dickenson, Silayev and Levshunov presumably going ahead of that pack.

But if it is Catton that falls, you RUN for that do-it-all playmaking 1C.

I think there's a strong top 2 and then quality 3 through 10. After that, it's relatively average. But it really depends on how some view guys. Like I said, what I've read is really all over. Like a guy like Buium - solid prospect but certainly nothing earth shattering. A 10, decent pick but it's not like teams are necessarily penciling him in their future lineup. Not like they would Demidov or Lindstrom or Silayev.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Unless Michael Bunting is some sort of magic piece that makes everything finally click this season, they’ll have a real difficult time winning 5 more games because their play since last Saturday, has dropped off massively. Like they don’t care if they win anymore.
Come on, now, they had more xG than the Caps in the last game! Obviously they care. Just not about scoring actual goals and winning actual games.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I think there's a strong top 2 and then quality 3 through 10. After that, it's relatively average. But it really depends on how some view guys. Like I said, what I've read is really all over. Like a guy like Buium - solid prospect but certainly nothing earth shattering. A 10, decent pick but it's not like teams are necessarily penciling him in their future lineup. Not like they would Demidov or Lindstrom or Silayev.
That’s why we should be praying for Ls and to finish with pick 8 or so. Catton, Lindstrom, Eiserman, Helenius, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Silayev, and Levshunov is a great range of players to be guaranteed at least a pair of to select between.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That’s why we should be praying for Ls and to finish with pick 8 or so. Catton, Lindstrom, Eiserman, Helenius, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Silayev, and Levshunov is a great range of players to be guaranteed at least a pair of to select between.
Indeed. It's that 10ov depending who is available where I get wishy-washy. If it's 11-15ov, I'm not going to be THAT sad when we give it to SJS.

Reactions: Dominance

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think unless this team drops in the standings a bit and gets lucky in the lotto, they gotta throw SJ the pick. Way too much risk with next year's being unprotected. This team's a lengthy Sid injury or regression away from a top-5 pick imo. Especially if they keep Sully.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
One thing that everyone should keep in mind regarding the draft is that Dubas has frequently traded picks to accumulate additional picks. I don't know if he'd do it with a top five pick, but if the Pens are 8th or something, he might trade back to 11th or 12th and pick up additional picks that could then be used to acquire younger players who are closer to being NHL contributors than the pick would be.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
If the rankings are to be trusted, #7-10 this year seems like it would give us a crack at Berkly Catton. Dude is inexplicably not in everyone’s top-3, but he’s got real J. Hughes potential.
i could see a lot of the top rated Russians falling into that range. if we have the guts to draft one.

One thing that everyone should keep in mind regarding the draft is that Dubas has frequently traded picks to accumulate additional picks. I don't know if he'd do it with a top five pick, but if the Pens are 8th or something, he might trade back to 11th or 12th and pick up additional picks that could then be used to acquire younger players who are closer to being NHL contributors than the pick would be.
top 5 picks are needed, if we ever want to win the cup again.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think unless this team drops in the standings a bit and gets lucky in the lotto, they gotta throw SJ the pick. Way too much risk with next year's being unprotected. This team's a lengthy Sid injury or regression away from a top-5 pick imo. Especially if they keep Sully.
We saw how it can play out though with Ottawa in the Duchene trade. They opted to keep it in 2018 and took Tkachuk. They gave 2019 to the Avs and it ended up 4ov as well and they took Byram.

Tkachuk >>> Byram. But Byram is no slouch.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I like the RD as there are 3 who may be there at pick 8 or 9. Yakimchuk has the size and game to be a top line Rd. That is my pick. But finish with 74 points and that probably is 8th and then get some Uncle Gary lottery luck and go to top 4 and then the center and the RD from Belarus are in play. Move Smuth at the draft for a 2 and Pens have nice picks here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

This would be awful decision making and match up what he has done so far here.

If we finish 8th, you give the pick to SJS.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
i think odds are waaaaay better we climb a few spots and get around 12-14 overall than we drop further.

Will probably get 11 overall... as high as we can without he posibiity of keeping the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad