Votes: 176 58.7%
  • Matthews

Votes: 124 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
I'd like to see some evidence that he's superior defensively.

You made the claim. Let's see your support...

Lets see your "advanced stats" to your claim Matthews is better.

I'd like to see some evidence that he's superior defensively.

You made the claim. Let's see your support...

1 season vs 5 seasons for starters. Its not even a question that Matthews has become the most over rated player in the NHL. 8 games this season played difference and Mac is leading by 15 points. Its night and day who's better.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Right. You must've missed out on Matthews career so far.
There isn't a hockey fan around who's missed out on Matthews career haha. The media makes sure of that.

As for the poll, I voted MacKinnon for this season because I think the guy is impossible to stop on his game and one of the best big game players in the league. I also might be being a homer, but we'll see at the end of the season. MacKinnon probably needs a full sample size to turn others opinions.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Weren’t people saying Mackinnon has no tool box last year and that he’s compare to RNH? Meanwhile Matthews had a better rookie season and is going to blow Mackinnons 2nd season out of the water ppg wise.

Mack is having a breakout year and I’m happy for him and Avs fans but I’d bet my house 31 out of 31 NHL gms would take Matthews over Mackinon without thinking twice about it.

Reactions: Garthinater

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Lets see your "advanced stats" to your claim Matthews is better.

1 season vs 5 seasons for starters. Its not even a question that Matthews has become the most over rated player in the NHL. 8 games this season played difference and Mac is leading by 15 points. Its night and day who's better.

First of all, I didn't explicitly say Matthews is better defensively. I said he had the superior rookie season of the two is the player I'd want going forward.

You said that MacKinnon is better offensively and defensively. What are you basing the claim he's better defensively on?

How is the number of seasons each has played in the NHL relevant to who the better player is?

The thing that's more relevant is that Matthews' one completed season was better than any of MacKinnon's first four.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Weren’t people saying Mackinnon has no tool box last year and that he’s compare to RNH? Meanwhile Matthews had a better rookie season and is going to blow Mackinnons 2nd season out of the water ppg wise.

Mack is having a breakout year and I’m happy for him and Avs fans but I’d bet my house 31 out of 31 NHL gms would take Matthews over Mackinon without thinking twice about it.

That mostly came from outside of colorado during a year when even avs fans struggled to watch the team. But with that catastra**** of a season going on around him, MacK was responsible for a similar percentage of his team's goals as guys like Seguin & Tarasenko; and lead the second leading scorer on his team by a larger margin than anyone but McJesus. So a lot of that nonsense came from the horrific team around him draining his totals :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: John Matthews

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
First of all, I didn't explicitly say Matthews is better defensively. I said he had the superior rookie season of the two is the player I'd want going forward.

You said that MacKinnon is better offensively and defensively. What are you basing the claim he's better defensively on?

How is the number of seasons each has played in the NHL relevant to who the better player is?

The thing that's more relevant is that Matthews' one completed season was better than any of MacKinnon's first four.
That came from outside of colorado during a year when even avs fans struggled to watch the team. But with that castra**** of a season going on around him, MacK was responsible for a similar percentage of his team's goals as guys like Seguin & Tarasenko; and lead the second leading scorer on his team by a larger margin than anyone but McJesus. So a lot of that nonsense came from the horrific team around him draining his totals :dunno:
This right here^

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Why are people talking about what MacK did at 20 to Matthews at 20, etc? Can y'all not read the part where it says RIGHT NOW? What happened before and who you'd take in the future doesn't mean much. MacK is better right now.

Reactions: John Matthews

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The question was WHO IS BETTER RIGHT NOW?

Its Mackinnon and its not even close. Anyone arguing otherwise are simply showing that they do not know what they are talking about. Mack has pretty much been a top 5 player this season. Absolutely dominant, the numbers and eye test prove it.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The question was WHO IS BETTER RIGHT NOW?

Its Mackinnon and its not even close. Anyone arguing otherwise are simply showing that they do not know what they are talking about. Mack has pretty much been a top 5 player this season. Absolutely dominant, the numbers and eye test prove it.

Sorry, but no.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Lol all these Leaf fans using Matthews supposedly better “2-Way” game to vote for him... Don’t tell me you wouldn’t vote Matthews against Bergeron and just shout Offensive game... Soooo hypothetical...
I don't think that word means what you think it does...

Also, comparing Matthews and Bergeron we would talk about offence, because the gap there is tremendous. Matthews has scored 8 more goals than Bergeron's career high, and since he has entered the league, has produced 22 more points playing with much inferior line mates. (Because of Hyman). I might get the argument a bit more if Matthews was some sort of bum defensively, but his defensive advanced stats are sparkling. Why do you think Bergeron's better?

Reactions: Raymoondo

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
avs fan so obviously bias but Im surprised it's this close

Objectively speaking matthews has accomplished so much more so i thought itd be more of a blowout but nice to see so many people think really high of mackinnon

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
convenient poll timing

I take the 0.51gpg/0.89ppg player over the 0.27gpg/0.75ppg player quite easily.

Mackinnon in 4 seasons didnt do anything close to what Matthews did as a rookie

there is a leaf involved though, so now everyone will vote against AM34. Kids putting up a 45g/85pt full season pace as a 20 year old, Mackinnon had 38pts as a sophomore btw

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Another poster who hasn't looked at numbers and made a call based on nothing. Mackinnon has a gf% that is 20 worse than Matthews at even strength and has a hdcf% that is much worse. If you want to look at their gap in raw points, yet again it is easy to explain away seeigpng Mackinnon play 65 more minutes at 5v5 this season, and 8o minutes more on the pp. People on these forums (you included apparently) are terrible for providing opinions and passing them off as facts when lots of numbers argue against you.

haha yup. not many realize Matthews shockingly plays the 2nd PP unit and often behind Bozak. would explain why only 6 of his 31pts are on the PP

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Are you saying there is only one player you'd take over Matthews RIGHT NOW?

I would. the only player more valuable than Matthews on an ELC is McDavid on an ELC.

Mackinnon at 6.3 million isnt more valuable than Matthews at 925k + bonuses

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

Aaaand there goes your house... Sorry bud!

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
If my team played a must win game tomorrow, I'd pick MacKinnon. We're not looking (far) into the future in this poll.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Fun facts, Auston Matthews scored more goals in his rookie year than Mackinnon did in his rookie and sophomore seasons combined, and as a second year player has the higher single season total than Mackinnon has managed in four complete seasons in the NHL.

But yeah, great month Mackinnon's been having.

Fun fact. MacK has 10 more points than Matthews has in their last 30 or so games.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Matthews easily. Better overall player and his rookie season at 19 is better than anything we've seen from Mackinnon in 5 years.

Matthews had a superior rookie season and is the player I'd want going forward.

Mackinnon in 4 seasons didnt do anything close to what Matthews did as a rookie

Was there a year long blackout in Toronto during MacKinnon's rookie season?

Nathan MacKinnon Rookie season (playoffs and regular season combined):
73 points in 89 games.

As an 18 year old.

Auston Matthews Rookie season (playoffs and regular season combined):

74 points in 88 games.

As a 19 year old.

Someone please explain how these aren't close, especially since MacKinnon was an entire year younger during his.
---
No doubt Matthews career is off to a better start than MacKinnon's, and Matthews is consistently better than MacKinnon was.

The question is who is better right now, and that is probably the player who has 15 more points in only 7 more games.

Reactions: RareDangles

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Matthews.

This season is an abberration for McKinnon, who has been underwhelming for the last 5 years.
aberration's don't exist for players who literally carry their team on their back. That term might be correct for players such as Josh Bailey who is certainly benefitting from his linemate, but not Mackinnon. Watch a game. There's no way you could watch Nathan Mackinnon play hockey and think that this season is going to be a one and done.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well, as of RIGHT NOW, it’s MacKinnon. There are only a few guys in the NHL playing better than him, and Matthews isn’t one of them.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
aberration's don't exist for players who literally carry their team on their back. That term might be correct for players such as Josh Bailey who is certainly benefitting from his linemate, but not Mackinnon. Watch a game. There's no way you could watch Nathan Mackinnon play hockey and think that this season is going to be a one and done.

Abberrations DO exist for players who can't do this even somewhat consistently in their careers. McKinnon had a lot of hype when he came into the league, then proceeded to drop off a cliff. So he's playing well this year. Well that's great. But as the last four seasons show....this year is unusual. VERY unusual. As all those years prior to this one have showed, this season very likely IS "one & done" for him. He's not a bad player, but he will very likely return to being a 20 goal, 50-60 point a year guy.

For that reason, Matthews wins.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Abberrations DO exist for players who can't do this even somewhat consistently in their careers. McKinnon had a lot of hype when he came into the league, then proceeded to drop off a cliff. So he's playing well this year. Well that's great. But as the last four seasons show....this year is unusual. VERY unusual. As all those years prior to this one have showed, this season very likely IS "one & done" for him. He's not a bad player, but he will very likely return to being a 20 goal, 50-60 point a year guy.

For that reason, Matthews wins.
It's ridiculous to say these things with such certainty. Seriously. Watch a game. He's 22 years old. He's the best player on the ice pretty much every night. He isn't even at the age where hockey players top out. Yet you think he's going to go downhill. Why, because his teenage years he didn't absolutely dominate the league? I guess you better enjoy the next two years of Matthews before the horrific age of 22 creeps up on him and he needs a walker. Poor Nylander is only less than 5 months away from elderly status.

Also, what does the future have to do with Matthews winning this poll. It asks who's better right now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad