MacKinnon vs Makar

Who’s the better player?

• Total voters

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Not only that but head to head McDavid dominated him in Corsi ect. Someone posted the stats and it was not pretty at all for Makar.
I do think Makar in a few years might be a guy who can handle McDavid of today, he’s still very new for a dman.

dwonger

Feb 25, 2023
I do think Makar in a few years might be a guy who can handle McDavid of today, he’s still very new for a dman.
Who knows. He did well on one play in the playoffs that Avs fans keep playing over and over in their head. He did deserve the Conn and carried the Avs imo, he was the best player and it really wasn't close.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
But then again he gets to play with the second coming of orr. And have 52g rantanen and a good player like landeskog and a generally stacked roaster that make Edmonton look bleak.

But I agree mack is the best player on the avs no doubt. Missing makar and missing mackinnon seems like two different universe. With mack they are still dominating.
Landeskog has been a major disappointment. I don't think he's helped Mack much this season.

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
Not only that but head to head McDavid dominated him in Corsi ect. Someone posted the stats and it was not pretty at all for Makar.

I'd love to see this. Because when I check the stats from that series, 5v5 McDavid is a negative cf% negative XGF%, negative scoring chances, etc. His only positive metric is HDCF% where he's 53 percent.

These aren't specifically VS Makar but considering that was the matchup the Avs were chasing I'd say significant chunks of time were. So yeah, I'd love to see your data.

Reactions: BoxOfChocolates

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
It’s makar and it’s not even close actually. Makar is excellent in every aspect of hockey. Guys like McDavid, Mack, Drai are only good defensively when they put in the effort and focus they often don’t. They each put so much effort into offense, because it’s harder to score than anything else.. they don’t have the legs or mental will power to properly defend. But there are plenty of times those guys puck watch and don’t even body check when the other team has the puck.

Makar gets no such luxury.

I mean MacKinnon just goes out and singlehandedly wins the game offensively for the Avs, like we saw tonight.

Why would his defense matter at all when he's so dominant offensively?

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
It’s makar and it’s not even close actually. Makar is excellent in every aspect of hockey. Guys like McDavid, Mack, Drai are only good defensively when they put in the effort and focus they often don’t. They each put so much effort into offense, because it’s harder to score than anything else.. they don’t have the legs or mental will power to properly defend. But there are plenty of times those guys puck watch and don’t even body check when the other team has the puck.

Makar gets no such luxury.
Nothing that comes out of your mouth is correct lol

Reactions: Connor McConnor

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Lio
Nothing that comes out of your mouth is correct lol
Like when I said Boeser would be very difficult to trade when dumb Vancouver fans were demanding high picks and prospects for him.

Makar just won the MVP of the playoffs. He’s good. Far better than Hughes.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I'd love to see this. Because when I check the stats from that series, 5v5 McDavid is a negative cf% negative XGF%, negative scoring chances, etc. His only positive metric is HDCF% where he's 53 percent.

These aren't specifically VS Makar but considering that was the matchup the Avs were chasing I'd say significant chunks of time were. So yeah, I'd love to see your data.
When you see things like that it might be smart the question the stats vs the player

Lio

Like when I said Boeser would be very difficult to trade when dumb Vancouver fans were demanding high picks and prospects for him.

Makar just won the MVP of the playoffs. He’s good. Far better than Hughes.
If Hughes is so meh why can’t you stop thinking about him?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
When you see things like that it might be smart the question the stats vs the player

If Hughes is so meh why can’t you stop thinking about him?
I can. This clown thinks Hughes is on par with makar. Hughes is not even in the same time zone as makar in terms of which guy is better.

Hughes going to spend most of his Aprils playing golf with EP (until he leaves in UFA soon), Boeser and JT Miller.

Enjoy your 11th overall pick. I’m sure Vancouver drafts another bust like they did at the 2022 draft. Makes sense to trade the 18th pick to Detroit when you’d waste it anyway. Might as well get a broken middle pair defender instead.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I can. This clown thinks Hughes is on par with makar. Hughes is not even in the same time zone as makar in terms of which guy is better.

Hughes going to spend most of his Aprils playing golf with EP (until he leaves in UFA soon), Boeser and JT Miller.

Enjoy your 11th overall pick. I’m sure Vancouver drafts another bust like they did at the 2022 draft. Makes sense to trade the 18th pick to Detroit when you’d waste it anyway. Might as well get a broken middle pair defender instead.
Yeah it really seems you don’t have a bizarre obsession with Hughes.

I don’t get why Avs fans claim Makar is the best ever and amazing at every aspect of hockey and on the same tier as McDavid… but are terrified of Hughes. Is it because he had more points this year?

Afraid he might someday win an award?

It’s bizarre. Just enjoy your players.

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Mackinnon of course. Makar couldn't score when he was injured and I could bet 80 percent of Makars even strenght and overall points after his return is a product of mackinnon. Mackinnon doesn't have problem scoring without frail cale however.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

Last year the Oilers were arrogant and put out guys like Nurse and Barrie and Ceci on the ice against Makar and MacGinnon.

The Aves only won because the Oilers purposely put out second rate defenders against the Aves top line.

Makar had easy matchups for that series but that won't happen again this year. That's assuming Frail Cale and the Aves can even make it out of the first round.

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015

I don't understand. McDavid was fine that series but he wasn't unstoppable. Makar did as good a job defending him as anyone in the league. So to me the stats back up what happened unless you seen something different?

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

I never said anything like that.

Anyways, rent free dude. Not me, you are bringing his name up. Anyways enjoy your 1st round exit.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I never said anything like that.

Anyways, rent free dude. Not me, you are bringing his name up. Anyways enjoy your 1st round exit.
You guys should just stop responding to each other. It keeps derailing threads into Hughes/Makar then which city is better Vancouver or Denver :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Makar has the more difficult assignment and impacts the game on a greater level. He's battled through some injuries but was at the top of his game before the last one. Durability remains a big question, but Makar is better when they are both at their best. It's close though

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
MacKinnon seems to be the lifeblood of the team, more of an assassin.

I still maintain Makar would be more dominant if he was more selfish. As of now, he's on track to be an all-time great defender, but I can guarantee his willingness to be part of a machine and working within it prevents him from putting up even greater numbers.

Good poll, I think both are reasonable options.

Reactions: cole von cole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad