MacKinnon vs Makar

Who’s the better player?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Mack easily. I think Makar has become a little overrated by some who speak of him as if he’s head and shoulders above the other D. Don’t get me wrong he’s really good but I think he still needs to have more great years before he separates himself from a handful of other strong D.

Mack a doodle doo

Apr 16, 2016
Mack easily. I think Makar has become a little overrated by some who speak of him as if he’s head and shoulders above the other D. Don’t get me wrong he’s really good but I think he still needs to have more great years before he separates himself from a handful of other strong D.
If you’re saying either one of them is easilybetter the it’s really you doing the overrating,
People in the thread need to be reminded that makar just won a con smythe by putting up the most points of any defenceman during a playoff run since Brian Leetch, also showing during his match up against McDavid(myfav player on favourite team) that he was literally the only defenceman that McDavid ran up against during that entire playoff last year who could shut him down at times during his own historic playoff run where he became the first player since Forsberg 30 years ago to lead the playoffs in points whilst not making it to the finals.

MacKinnon is very very good top four, very arguably number three, Makar has shown that he can hit a level of sense during a game that really only McDavid has

It’s easy to look at a MacKinnon and think that he’s the second best player in the world because a lot of the same flashy things McDavid does, but until Makar TRUELY falls off(not just some bad luck, injuries and the Stanley Cup hangover season) he’s still the second best guy in the world for me

He’s shown that he can hit a level that’s only behind McDavid when everything is clicking. his top level is just better than MacKinnon’s top level, which is not to disparage MacKinnon because like I said, he’d probably be my number 3 or 4 best guy in the league

Last edited:
Reactions: zzs06

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If you’re saying either one of them is easilybetter the it’s really you doing the overrating,
People in the thread need to be reminded that makar just won a con smythe by putting up the most points of any defenceman during a playoff run since Brian Leetch, also showing during his match up against McDavid(myfav player on favourite team) that he was literally the only defenceman that McDavid ran up against during that entire playoff last year who could shut him down at times during his own historic playoff run where he became the first player since Forsberg 30 years ago to lead the playoffs in points whilst not making it to the finals.

MacKinnon is very very good top four, very arguably number three, Makar has shown that he can hit a level of sense during a game that really only McDavid has

It’s easy to look at a MacKinnon and think that he’s the second best player in the world because a lot of the same flashy things McDavid does, but until Makar TRUELY falls off(not just some bad luck, injuries and the Stanley Cup hangover season) he’s still the second best guy in the world for me
Fair enough. I certainly don’t see him hitting the McDavid level and I also didn’t see Makar single handedly shutting down McDavid in the series. That was a team effort from a very good top 4 D and some very strong defensive forwards.
I do agree that I shouldn’t have said Mack easily. Makar would be in my top 5 players, probably in the fifth spot. Fox and Dahlin just behind him.

Mack a doodle doo

Apr 16, 2016
Fair enough. I certainly don’t see him hitting the McDavid level and I also didn’t see Makar single handedly shutting down McDavid in the series. That was a team effort from a very good top 4 D and some very strong defensive forwards.
I do agree that I shouldn’t have said Mack easily. Makar would be in my top 5 players, probably in the fifth spot.
We definitely agree on the fact that he can’t shut McDavid down in a whole series although he did make a number of very nice defensive against him in last year’s playoff I did think that the notion that he” shut him down” was completely hyperbolic and overblown, nobody really shuts down McDavid nowadays, but I will say I was impressed by Makars efforts against him

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
Makar. I’ve watched every Avs game in the last 2 years. Mackinnon is incredible and when he is going he is as good as anyone in the world. He doesn’t have super high hockey IQ though and makes some pretty bad decisions every game. His talent is undeniable though and I have him as a top 5 player. Makar though is the second best player in the world for me. He does everything at an extremely high level, including defend for you people who think he only plays offense. Both are great but Makar is the better player especially being able to effect the game more with his league high ice time and strength on both ends of the ice

Reactions: pi314

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023

He’s shown that he can hit a level that’s only behind McDavid when everything is clicking. his top level is just better than MacKinnon’s top level, which is not to disparage MacKinnon because like I said, he’d probably be my number 3 or 4 best guy in the league
Makar iz not at the level of McDavid you delusional homer. He's not close. he's not generational. he's not miles ahead of other D, if he even is ahead in any given season.

He went toe to toe with McDavid and McDavid got 3G 7P in 4 games. Avs fans see a few clips and insist Makar is on the same level and insist that somehow getting 1.75 P/GP is a guy being shut down effectively.

Ridiculous.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Makar iz not at the level of McDavid you delusional homer. He's not close. he's not generational. he's not miles ahead of other D, if he even is ahead in any given season.

He went toe to toe with McDavid and McDavid got 3G 7P in 4 games. Avs fans see a few clips and insist Makar is on the same level and insist that somehow getting 1.75 P/GP is a guy being shut down effectively.

Ridiculous.
He had 5 points even strength and was a -4. Makar had 6 points and a +4. Why would you include PP points in a head to head match up? Hell Makar had 9 points in the series.

Not saying Makar is better than McDavid but he certainly was better in that series no questions asked.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I wouldn't say he's overrated, he's just not talked about much this season because he missed quite a bit of games. He's basically on paced to have the same points total as his Norris winning season. His advanced stats defensively is actually better this season than last.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
ATM, MacKinnon. Makar could very well surpass MacKinnon's prime when Cale hits his late 20's. The kid is still only 24.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Bolded is scary part Dman peak a little later than forwards. Personally I'm taking Makar over Mack but it's either or they are both in my top 3-5. You can't go wrong picking either.

I would have taken Makar over Mack after they won the cup, but MacKinnon took it up another notch this season. He's dragging this injured Avs team to the top of the Central.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Lol. 100 points in 65 games. 1.54PPG, I'd say he drives play more than Kucherov and Drai do.

Top 4 in both goals and points for 5 consecutive seasons, a Hart, Lindsay, and Art Ross. Yeah, Drai is better and there’s nothing outlandish about that opinion.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Top 4 in both goals and points for 5 consecutive seasons, a Hart, Lindsay, and Art Ross. Yeah, Drai is better and there’s nothing outlandish about that opinion.
A healthy Mack is better imo. Drives play more, doesn't get to play with the best player in the world at 5v5 throughout the year, and on the powerplay. He drives his team without a McDavid, Mack is right with Drai in PPG this season without playing with McDavid, it's just more impressive.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
It’s not outlandish, but a lot of Oiler fans think it’s outlandish to believe MacKinnon is better and that isn’t either.
Funny thing is when Mackinnon plays against them he looks better than both

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
A healthy Mack is better imo. Drives play more, doesn't get to play with the best player in the world at 5v5 throughout the year, and on the powerplay. He drives his team without a McDavid, Mack is right with Drai in PPG this season without playing with McDavid, it's just more impressive.
Right he just plays with scrubs like rantanen and Makar.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Right he just plays with scrubs like rantanen and Makar.
Much better 5v5 scorer this year, doesn't rely on McDavid powerplay points. I prefer my superstars to drive play at 5v5 at an elite level. Mack has 8 more 5v5 points in 12 less games. He drives play for his team more than Drai does. More impressive.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
MacKinnon is the best player on the Avalanche and probably the 2nd best player in the league at this point.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
MacKinnon is awesome and his playoff performances are even better.

However, Makar will go down as one of the greatest Dmen. He would have 3 Norris trophies, the Smythe and a Calder at the end of the season if it wasn't for injuries. He is pacing for a legendary career.

• Haha
Reactions: Signupnow

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
But then again he gets to play with the second coming of orr. And have 52g rantanen and a good player like landeskog and a generally stacked roaster that make Edmonton look bleak.

But I agree mack is the best player on the avs no doubt. Missing makar and missing mackinnon seems like two different universe. With mack they are still dominating.

dwonger

Feb 25, 2023

Ridiculous.
Not only that but head to head McDavid dominated him in Corsi ect. Someone posted the stats and it was not pretty at all for Makar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad