• Mackinnon

Votes: 161 37.4%
  • Draisaitl

Votes: 269 62.6%

• Total voters

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Seeing bUT tHE CuP arguments is always comical and worthy of a laugh.
I guess 3 cup winner in Colin Fraser is even better than Nathan Mackinnon, or retired players that didn't win the cup like the Sedins or Jarome Iginla.

Dumbest argument aside from the +/- and PP merchant nonsense.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Seeing bUT tHE CuP arguments is always comical and worthy of a laugh.
I guess 3 cup winner in Colin Fraser is even better than Nathan Mackinnon, or retired players that didn't win the cup like the Sedins or Jarome Iginla.

Dumbest argument aside from the +/- and PP merchant nonsense.
maybe drai gets his this year. until then give me macwinnon

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
MacKinnon is known for being a playoff beast but Draisaitl simply has him beat there.

The fact that Draisaitl is outperforming McDavid, whereas MacKinnon was outperformed by Makar and arguably Rantanen in their Cup run also plays a factor here.

There will always be the question of “Draisaitl getting more space because of McDavid” but MacKinnon also has elite teammates.

Think that Draisaitl is really showing this season that he’s the better player.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Draisaitl already has as many goals in 8 Playoff games this year as MacKinnon had in 4 rounds last year

Reactions: doorbag

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
MacGinnon is better at scowling when he loses and being born in Canada.

In hockey these are considered extremely important.

In terms of winning games its Draisatl.
I still take Draisatl by a mile.

But MacGinnon and his scowly face and hating losing do set him apart from the two leafs who tend to match him in scoring.

MacGinnon and his anger issues can't propel him above a clearly superior player like Draisatl. But at least MacGinnon won't go down without a fight. Unlike the Leafs collection of 10 million dollar forwards.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Draisaitl has 49 points in his last 24 playoff games going back to last year. And 2/3 of those games were on one leg. The NHL record for a playoff run is 47 points. People marvel at Malkin's run of 36 points in 24 games.

I'm an Avs fan and despite Drai's lofty point totals over the past few years, the argument for MacKinnon was that he could elevate his game to a dominating level come playoff time. I don't see how anyone could make a case for MacKinnon at this point.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
If Edmonton wins the cup and drasaitl wins the conn smythe, you can /thread
Yup. A cup validates everything

Drai is in the same tier as Crosby, OV, prime Malkin, only difference is that it took him a few years to get to that level

MacK is in the same tier as Patrick Kane, and similarly, it took MacK a few years to emerge as a superstar as well

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010

Drai is in the same tier as Crosby, OV, prime Malkin, only difference is that it took him a few years to get to that level

MacK is in the same tier as Patrick Kane, and similarly, it took MacK a few years to emerge as a superstar as well
And tbh, when it’s all said and done, i wouldn’t be surprised drasaitl becomes the better player of those you mentioned if not already

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains
MacKinnon is known for being a playoff beast but Draisaitl simply has him beat there.
The fact that Draisaitl is outperforming McDavid, whereas MacKinnon was outperformed by Makar and arguably Rantanen in their Cup run also plays a factor here.

There will always be the question of “Draisaitl getting more space because of McDavid” but MacKinnon also has elite teammates.

Think that Draisaitl is really showing this season that he’s the better player.
MacKinnon is 6th all-time in P/PG in the playoffs (32 more GP than Draisaitl)

He also led the league in ESP this season which is crazy with the point gap between him and McDavid.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

I think drasaitl has potential to eclipse both yes. He has been very durable barely missing any games. We will see how it unfolds, but drasaitl is the best player in the world atm…
Why stop there? At this point, calling him him "The German Gretzky" is actually just a disservice to the guy. Shooting percentage and secondary match-ups be damned!

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
has someone brought up the leadership point yet? I would think Mackinnon has more of a leadership component over drai, but not completely sure.

It is a great argument to debate on. I would probably add Mathews only because of the point production aspect.

Mathews vs drai vs Mackinnon

Reactions: EverTheCynic

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
This thread is the perfect example of 2 extremes. Anyone saying Drai would be a bum without McDavid or he's a PP merchant or whatever are obviously clueless. Drai is an undisputed top 5 player in the world, at worst. But anyone who thinks he's in or can be in the same tier as Crosby/OV is equally clueless. Crosby won rosses, harts, smythes, etc with random no name line mates despite always being the main focus of the opposition. OV has a 65 goal season when no one on his team even hit 70pts (43pt gap over 2nd). He has a 52 goal/106pt season when 2nd on the team had 57pts (49pt gap). Multiple other seasons leading his team by 20+pts all while throwing out ~200 hits and being the main focus of the opposition. Until Drai does things like that without McDavid, he'll never be in that tier. And no, 7 games in 19/20 don't prove anything. OV never had the luxury of a generational player doing the heavy lifting for him. Crosby had Malkin but they were on different lines and Crosby got the tough matchups. Drai is either on McDavid's wing or getting cupcake matchups behind him and obviously spends 100% of the PP with McDavid. Great player, but nowhere close to Crosby/OV level.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
has someone brought up the leadership point yet? I would think Mackinnon has more of a leadership component over drai, but not completely sure.

It is a great argument to debate on. I would probably add Mathews only because of the point production aspect.

Mathews vs drai vs Mackinnon
Profile picture is accurate

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I'll take MacKinnon. I just think he has more responsibility. There is no other star C to accommodate him.

I wouldn't be shocked if Draisaitl does win a cup someday. And both of these guys end up in the HHOF.
Wasnt Kadri the #2 center the year Mac won the cup? Kadri had a 1.23 ppg. Obviously Drai was better at 1.4ppg but it shows Mac had support in the 2nd center spot too. Again obviously Mac and Kadri are not comparable to Drai and McD but Mac had great players to play with too. Mikko is not a bum.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Wasnt Kadri the #2 center the year Mac won the cup? Kadri had a 1.23 ppg. Obviously Drai was better at 1.4ppg but it shows Mac had support in the 2nd center spot too. Again obviously Mac and Kadri are not comparable to Drai and McD but Mac had great players to play with too. Mikko is not a bum.
Neither is Makar.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'll take MacKinnon. I just think he has more responsibility. There is no other star C to accommodate him.

I wouldn't be shocked if Draisaitl does win a cup someday. And both of these guys end up in the HHOF.
Both of these guys are HHOF locks right now and as for the poll question I think it's a tossup but Drasaitl is my pick today ask me again in a year and it might be Mack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad