• Mackinnon

Votes: 161 37.4%
  • Draisaitl

Votes: 269 62.6%

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I prefer MacKinnon because he’s a better play driver and 5v5 player, and I believe that’s more important from your star players, but it’s really close, and Draisaitl’s PP play is huge too

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Drai pretty easily.

Hes outproduced MacK (in totals as well as per game) 5 straight years.

The difference between them over those 5 years is only 8 points per 82. The production difference isn’t really significant enough to just point to it as the be all end all.

dwonger

Feb 25, 2023
The difference between them over those 5 years is only 8 points per 82. The production difference isn’t really significant enough to just point to it as the be all end all.
No. No it isn't. One is never injured and one is injured seemingly every single year. That matters, actual points matter. It's 81 points over 5 years which is 16.2 a season which is the difference between MacKinnon and Point this year and any other year when Mac doesn't have a career year a far inferior player.

I'm just glad more eastern people get to see Drai during these and last year's Playoffs to how how good he is.

He isn't a straight line skater like McDavid or Mac, he wants to slow it down and is the best at the league at doing so and protecting the puck looking for a pass or shot.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
No. No it isn't. One is never injured and one is injured seemingly every single year. That matters, actual points matter. It's 81 points over 5 years which is 16.2 a season which is the difference between MacKinnon and Point this year and any other year when Mac doesn't have a career year a far inferior player.

I'm just glad more eastern people get to see Drai during these and last year's Playoffs to how how good he is.

He isn't a straight line skater like McDavid or Mac, he wants to slow it down and is the best at the league at doing so and protecting the puck looking for a pass or shot.
Drai is often hurt and plays through it too which is pretty impressive ,not saying McKinnon dosent play hurt because he obviously does too but you cant deny draisaitl is a resilient player I guess when you are just saucing the puck around like it's nothing and just ripping pucks top shelf on reception it's easier to play hurt than the way mack plays the game balls to the wall all the time

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I prefer MacKinnon because he’s a better play driver and 5v5 player, and I believe that’s more important from your star players, but it’s really close, and Draisaitl’s PP play is huge too

That's the unanswered question for Drai. Put him on a team without McDavid and how does he do?

With the #1C and arguably #2 C in the league, why can't the Oilers consistently roll two strong Top 6 lines?

Mac has answered this question a bit better in my mind.

Overall, very close.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
That's the unanswered question for Drai. Put him on a team without McDavid and how does he do?

With the #1C and arguably #2 C in the league, why can't the Oilers consistently roll two strong Top 6 lines?

Mac has answered this question a bit better in my mind.

Overall, very close.

Who says that's necessarily better though?

If you could get peak Lemieux/Gretzky playing together on the same team for 5 years - are you so sure they would run them on separate lines, vs simply putting them on the same line to dominate that much more together?

As for the question - I voted Drai. But I'll admit I do flip flop a bit too between the 2. Where I'm pretty consistent is in thinking Draisaitl can peak higher (and he has, often in past few years) than MacK. But Mack is pretty damn good and consistent himself, which keeps it close.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Who says that's necessarily better though?

If you could get peak Lemieux/Gretzky playing together on the same team for 5 years - are you so sure they would run them on separate lines, vs simply putting them on the same line to dominate that much more together?

As for the question - I voted Drai. But I'll admit I do flip flop a bit too between the 2. Where I'm pretty consistent is in thinking Draisaitl can peak higher (and he has, often in past few years) than MacK. But Mack is pretty damn good and consistent himself, which keeps it close.

The point was to wonder if, in a vacuum, who is more likely to produce at the same level regardless of linemates/strength of team?

As for your example, Mario and Wayne played together on Team Canada when they could put out all-stars on their 2nd line. And Drai is neither Mario or Wayne, nor is McDavid for that matter.

The Oilers have succeeded in the regular season with playing them on separate lines for the most part but seemingly get away from that in the playoffs. Most Oiler fans point to Drai, not McDavid, as someone who cannot produce nearly as well at ES when not with McDavid.

Even prime Mario and prime Jagr were separated at ES in 95/96. Trying to roll two strong scoring lines seems like a no-brainer. Crosby and Malkin famously carried weak wingers to a Cup in '09.

It is not unreasonable to wonder why McDavid/Drai cannot do the same.

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Draisaitl is just plain and simple a better, smarter , stronger hockey player. His IQ is off the charts. His one timer is the most effective in the league. No one in NHL history has been able to put up 11 goals in thier first 7 playoff games. To the poster who said MacKinnon is more of a play driver. How is one ans done power rushes up the ice drive play more than hanging on to the puck for minutes at a time in the offensive zone and making insane plays all over the ice.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They're different players. I think MacKinnon is more a force, exploding all over the place with the puck, while Draisaitl gets himself to the open space a lot better, and also utilized his teammates better. MacKinnon makes you hold your breath everytime he gets the puck and takes off but often nothing comes of it. It's a tough call. They're both great players.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Draisaitl is a powerplay merchant, MacKinnon easily
1683215850380.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad