Line Combos: MacArthur Kadri Orr. - Your comments please.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
not sure why everyone thinks orrs presence hurts kadri? if anything he opens up the ice for kadri and CMac. can anyone think of another NHLer who had a tough guy playing along side of him? you know, the all time points leader.

In observing Carlyle, I'm of the mindset that an underlying motive (beyond icing a winning team each game) is to prepare this team for the grind of playoff hockey. In his mind, physical play will be even more important then and if he can give a player like Orr higher minutes now, it will only return dividends in the playoffs.

lampshade*

I like it for now and next few games. When Frattin comes back he will bump Orr which is perfectly acceptable. Orr has been working his ass off this season. Hes fought his demons in Engelland and Parros, has taken some heavy punches, chin looks great. He's added on the score sheet and has been defensively responsible.

Whydidijoin*

Orr is definitely still a 4th-liner max, but he has been good for the last couple games on that line. Does exactly what is asked/needed of him.

Congrats to him on his recovery too. I thought he was done. :handclap:

leafspring*

ORR should not be on that line what so ever, but it is what we got so we have to deal with it,

also kadri can produce his own offense as the kid is a ****** G

Carlyle disagrees. When Kessels line needs Orr to take a shift to take care of business,he will be in shape to ride shotgun with any line. I like it.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Although Orr is a far greater fourth liner than third liner. The fact remains this guy plays a key part in the cycle method Carlyle takes on. He is vicious when it comes to dump and chase and is a great checker and shot blocker. He has come a long way and even though he will not be on the third line much longer, he certainly deserved the extra minutes.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
not sure why everyone thinks orrs presence hurts kadri? if anything he opens up the ice for kadri and CMac. can anyone think of another NHLer who had a tough guy playing along side of him? you know, the all time points leader.

Exactly, now's the time to get Orr to replace Bozak, what a lovely reward for Orr and I'm sure Kessel and JVR would be enthused.:biglaugh:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's completely idiotic to have Orr playing anything more than 4th line minutes. Carlyle is lucky it's not hindering that line as of right now. As soon as Macarthur starts struggling he'll realize how much of a black hole Orr is.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The only way that line is successful is because they are sheltered. Is another team really going to try and match lines to shutdown MacArthur and Kadri over Kessel and JVR?

It is good to see them successful for a stretch here, but when Kadri starts to struggle, they are going to point the finger right back at Orr being on that line.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
It allows Kadri to play his physical, penalty drawing self. He feels a lot more comfortable throwing hits right now.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
As a practical line, it's not the greatest set up having Orr out there with Kadri and Mac, but I can't be against a line that hasn't done poorly. As a fill-in, I'm fine with Orr there, because he's worked his ass off to get to where he is now, but yeah, as soon as Frattin or Lupul comes back, he's obviously back to the 4th line. And then when both are back, something will have to be done with Mac, Steckel or one of the D-men...

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Orr on the 3rd line, isn't about ORR on the 3rd line, it's about rewarding players.

Orr is Caryles example, IF YOU PLAY HARD, you will play more.

I've coached before, although basketball, and I sent the same message, I made it clear to the team, if you played hard, and practised, you'd play. I had a kid who didn't play much in junior high, but he had the heart of a lion. The kid worked his tail off, and by the end of the year, I only took him off the court to get a breather.. but the kid set a precedent, and other kids followed his example. I needed that kid, just as much as he needed me, because if I didn't have one person willing to leave it all on the floor, then it would've been difficult to implement the mind set.

Orr isn't going to magically turn into a selke candidate, 3rd liner (he'll be back on the 4th line when the team is healthy), but he is setting a precedent... and he's just as important to Caryle, as Caryle is too his comeback.

Irish Leaf

Jul 11, 2012
Kildare
Delighted for all of them especially MacArthur, he's my favourite player i reckon him and Kadri will do some serious damage, they're both playmakers Kadri the sniper and MacArthur with the bomb of a slap shot.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
ORR should not be on that line what so ever, but it is what we got so we have to deal with it,

also kadri can produce his own offense as the kid is a ****** G

As long as the Kessel line keeps drawing the top checking assignment away from Kadri's line it seems like not even plugs like Orr will weight him down.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Honestly I'm surprised that it's actually working. It seemed a complete nonsense line that would kill Kadri's production.

But they are getting the job done and you can see how hard Orr is working out there. Just think if he's going to be on that line he should drop the staged fights, hurts line chemistry. But otherwise he's brought good effort to the line.

Kind of funny to say though that I still don't see this line sticking in any form long term. Frattin will be back on the wing soon and considering Grabo's line is the shut down pair could see Lupul or JVR back on the other side. With how good JVR and Kessel have been I'm tempted to say Lupul takes MacArthur's spot.

Without a big player on Kessel's line, I prefer JVR where he is. Lupul's not quite the PPG player he was with Kessel, but with Kadri and Frattin, that could be a pretty lethal combo.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
McClement-Grabovski-Kulemin

That checking line leaves a bit to be desired, namely with Grabovski centering it, but those top two lines are pretty nice offensively. Kadri and Frattin are already sheltered, but having a sheltered Lupul might be a pretty ugly surprise for anyone looking to shut down the offense. I get the impression that much of the league treats the Kadri line as a non-threat. Plus, I've heard that Lupul has taken Kadri under his wing, so that could be a nice bonus.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Love that line. Hardest working line on our team by far. Everyone finishes their checks and leaves it all on the ice. Really impressed by Kadri too. I knew he was talented but 14 points thus far ? I don't think anyone expected that.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I like the fact that Kadri is producing no matter who he plays with and that's pretty much all I have to say about this line.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
And when you win as many fights as Colton Orr does, and stick up for your teammates as much as he does you should be rewarded with some quality playing time IMO. No one deserves it more.

I agree with you. It's not like Orr was in a slump and Carlyle put him on the third line to get him going. Orr was playing really well and he's being rewarded. That does a lot for team morale. When Lupul and Frattin are back, Orr will be back on the fourth line but he'll know that if he plays well and a spot opens up, his coach will reward him.

Remotion

Jul 9, 2009
Regent Park, Toronto
I agree with you. It's not like Orr was in a slump and Carlyle put him on the third line to get him going. Orr was playing really well and he's being rewarded. That does a lot for team morale. When Lupul and Frattin are back, Orr will be back on the fourth line but he'll know that if he plays well and a spot opens up, his coach will reward him.

This

Remotion

Jul 9, 2009
Regent Park, Toronto
Apart of me truly believes that if he didn't have Orr as a linemate, no way he would have done all of that with Hedman. Just goes to show when you have backup, you become fearless :D

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
Apart of me truly believes that if he didn't have Orr as a linemate, no way he would have done all of that with Hedman. Just goes to show when you have backup, you become fearless :D

Kadri actually looked like he was waiting for Orr to come in and start power bombing everyone. Then he must've realized shortly afterwards that Orr was nowhere to be found and had to fight his own battle.

TML g u n n e R s*

Jvr-bozy-kess
lupul-grabo-kulie
MAC-naz-frattin
brown/ORR/fraz-jay-LEO

?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad