Player Discussion MacArthur Concussion | Jan 20 UPDATE: Shut down for the year

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
No contact hockey would still be far more exciting that soccer. It would still be faster and have more skill plays.

Lacrosse does not get any ratings and without hitting that's what hockey becomes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How would he be a perfect candidate? Not every ex Senator has to work with the organization.

He's a good candidate in that he has a clear passion for hockey, and we're already on the hook to pay him for the next little while, so might as well see if there's any interest in training towards that as his next career. If he shows some talent, great, if not, we move on.

As for whether he's already any good at it, or will be in the future, who knows. Certainly not I, or anyone else around here in all likelihood, but might as well see if there is something he can do for the team while still under contract if he's interested..

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
So can someone explain how this affects our cap? I believe insurance is paying 80% of his salary but what does this do to our cap? Is he off the books?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So can someone explain how this affects our cap? I believe insurance is paying 80% of his salary but what does this do to our cap? Is he off the books?

He has to be put on LTIR first. I have not heard or seen that he has been. I am not sure of the insurance details though. We are presuming there is insurance.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

LTIR lets you exceed the cap by the amount the player on LTIR makes (regardless of whether insurance pays 80%). Since we don't approach the cap, it's not really relevant to us.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
So my friend sent me this, regarding the expansion draft:

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

So does "deemed exempt" mean that the Sens would have to protect MacArthur? Because if yes, then that screws up just about everything.

Or did I read that incorrectly?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Basically means ignore him when talking about expansion draft. Won't be protected, won't be picked.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

So does "deemed exempt" mean that the Sens would have to protect MacArthur? Because if yes, then that screws up just about everything.

It just means he can't be used as one of the two forwards used to meet the minimum requirements for exposure.

Here are the three requirements:

One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

The Sens actually only have six forwards that qualify (omitting MacArthur), so if the draft was today, they would have to expose two of the following:

Ryan
Hoffman
Brassard
Stone
Turris
Smith

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

No. Each team must expose "ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons."

All that it means is that MacArthur doesn't count towards that exposure requirement, so if the Senators don't have 2 forwards under contract who have played 40 in 1 season or 70 in 2 that are exposed, they'll have to negotiate with guys like Dzingel or Lazar or Pageau or Pyatt to get them signed to extensions prior to exposing them in order to meet the requirements.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I appreciate that there are many people smarter than me here.

Thanks fellas...or gals...if any of you are gals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad