Player Discussion MacArthur Concussion | Jan 20 UPDATE: Shut down for the year

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Obviously sad situation, especially for MacArthur who's worked extremely hard to return. But he's lucky the concussion protocols are strict that it protects himself and his family.

Rooverick*

Jan 5, 2008
Great to see the organization is taking every precaution to make sure he is protected.

If he is able to make it back next season, we can be sure he's gone through a thorough battery of tests to ensure his health is the 1st priority.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Sad news. Much respect for Cmac from this leafs fan. I wish him all the best in his long term recovery. Sucks.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Damn, terrible news. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for Clarke right now. In a way I'm relieved to hear that the organization his looking out for him. I'm sure he's going to give it a shot next year and I hope he and the team does what's best for him.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
No one should be surprised. I doubt if he ever plays again which makes perfect sense considering he has a long life still ahead of him.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Not surprising... concussions kill careers now... it's going to change the game

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
After the one in training camp I really wasnt expecting him to play again. Really feel bad for the guy, he is one of the good guys. I spoke to him after the season last year, he was really optomistic about playing this year really wanted it bad.

I hope he takes it in stride and realizes this is whats best for him. He is one of my favorite players, he plays the right way. Really sad.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
It's sad but he's done as a hockey player, the only logical decision for him is to retire now. It's a damn shame but your mental health is way more important than playing hockey. You don't take risk when you brain is what is at risk.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
One of the best UFA,s ever, this team has signed.Such a good player i was trying to stay as hopeful as i could. But in the end i think everybody knew that fourth one was a backbreaker,so sad:cry:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Very sad. That's probably that career out the window.

Guess he officially becomes a coach this season now. Guys will listen to him when he has suggestions etc.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm sure everyone on the team is absolutely heartbroken with the news. It's been in the back of everyone's mind and we all suspected this was probably the most likely outcome, but that glimmer of hope getting torn away from him is a real kick in the gut.

I really hope he can find a new path for himself, be it in the hockey world or not. I know a lot of people will frown on the idea of another nepotism hire, but I think the team could find him some work in some facet, be it in development, scouting, or coaching. Mac has an absolute passion for the game, and if he's not ready to give that up yet, I'm all for the team finding a way he can continue to contribute to what he loves without putting his long term health at risk.

Maple Leaf Forever

Sep 9, 2013
Come in peace.....terrible news .....always been a Clarke fan ....I think it's the right move , his health is priority one...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really liked his unique blend of speed and competitiveness with a little bit of fire and grit.

Hopefully it's more about the odds of getting into competitive shape at this stage of the season given his health concerns but I'm not overly optimistic.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
sorry to hear but probably right decision.
shame on nhl for not doing anything significant to prevent concussions (don't ask me what they can do, not my job)

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Really devastated by this new honestly. I wanted to guy back in the lineup so bad.

Only possible solution now is to inject MacArthur's tenacity, heart and grit into Bobby Ryan..

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Also, i hope sieloff does not get too down on himself over this. I'd hate to be that guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad