Post-Game Talk: Lyon was a mere paper tiger

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That's what I mean, the Oilers aren't in a position to upgrade Pickard and at this point I really don't see the need. The way they're playing D they really don't need a 1a 1b nor is that an option
I mean the alternative is don't and put all your eggs in on Skinner not crumbling in playoffs and not getting hurt. If any of those things happen their cup aspirations are immediately dead. Not exactly a gamble I want them to take.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean the alternative is don't and put all your eggs in on Skinner not crumbling in playoffs and not getting hurt. If any of those things happen their cup aspirations are immediately dead. Not exactly a gamble I want them to take.

Yeah that's a risk you could maybe take if McDavid was 23/24 and Draisaitl was 25/26 ... we're years past that now. McDavid turns 27 tomorrow, Leon is turning 29 this year.

If another playoffs goes to shit because we get goalied badly again, it's going to make contract talks with Leon extremely difficult in the summer most likely.

I'm not willing to risk everything on the hope that Stuart Skinner doesn't crap the bed again. He has the same mechanical issues in his game that still exist, slow movement in net from post to post, poor rebound control. There's every bit a good chance a team with some offensive fire power scouts him hard going into the playoffs and targets those weaknesses effectively.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Deserved to count, the league absolutely would have called it back after a 10+ minute review if Detroit had challenged

What, sincerely, mesmerizes me about this, is how much McDavid can process at this speed. I can't even fathom it.

I think they might have actually got this one right. Its was extremely obviously onside with the video slowed down.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Off topic but I saw that Kane’s ex decided to show up to the game even though she has a restraining order Then post everything. Ended with her getting kicked out via Kane’s request. What a piece of work. she’s nuts. Lol

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
A decent amount of playoff teams do. Boston, Vegas, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Florida, Rangers, Islanders. I'm probably missing some off the top of my head.

I'm just looking for a guy who can step in and carry the load if needed. Right now Pickard is barely keeping his head above water.

Boston does. Maybe Islanders. Thats about it lol

Quick has been good. But I still dont buy it.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Off topic but I saw that Kane’s ex decided to show up to the game even though she has a restraining order Then post everything. Ended with her getting kicked out via Kane’s request. What a piece of work. she’s nuts. Lol

I would post the crazy/hot matrix chart but I am trying to go for a year with no warnings.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

On her birthday no less. She has nothing better to do on her birthday than violate a restraining order to stalk her ex husband.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I cannot see it happening. They have giant horseshoes up their behinds lol. They are good too. Their 3rd line saved them from a slump. How long are guys like Joshua, Hoglander, etc going to keep scoring.

How long will they have almost 7 20%+ shooters (have 5 and two are close). I posted it in the OOT thread. Vancouver has 7 players with a higher shooting % than our top guy (Hyman)
I could see them burning out before the playoffs. This is new to them.

I actually kinda want them to win a round, just to get smoked by us after like the Flames. Those first two games really pissed me off, should have never read comments online after.

It’s funny I live in Vancouver and was telling nucks fans they’re underrating their team before the season started. Even wanted to bet that the Flames would finish below them, no takers. It only took 2 games for them to act like they’re a dynasty, I need to see them humbled lol

I didn’t think they’d be doing so well, but I thought they’d probably make the playoffs. They’ve got elite players in all the key areas, injuries and depth were my only concerns, but that’s a concern for any team.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Boston does. Maybe Islanders. Thats about it lol

Quick has been good. But I still dont buy it.
Talking about guys who can step in and be a good bet to handle a starting role during the playoffs without crumbling. Everyone of those teams I listed has that. Pickard however is not a good bet for that.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
And as few frames later...
View attachment 801571

At this point McDavid hadn't come close to touching the puck. Hyman's the last one to touch it, as the puck bobbled off his foot and it slowly slid into Detriot's zone.
This isn't a Makar situation, where he carries the puck into the zone, hovering his stick centimetres from the puck, and that's deemed "not in possession."
The rule is to not touch the puck till team mate tags up, which Makar did. Delayed off side isn’t determined by whether or not he had possession.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Was that his ex? When I first read, I thought it was his current gal that made the trip. I can imagine the ex was sitting there with a voodoo doll, sticking pins in him everytime he skated by. What did she manage to do that got her kicked out?

And as few frames later...
View attachment 801571

At this point McDavid hadn't come close to touching the puck. Hyman's the last one to touch it, as the puck bobbled off his foot and it slowly slid into Detriot's zone.
This isn't a Makar situation, where he carries the puck into the zone, hovering his stick centimetres from the puck, and that's deemed "not in possession."
I thought it was incredibly smart of McDavid to push the puck in and heads up enough to not touch it until Hyman cleared the zone.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think we need to jump at this right away, the way things are going. There will be some options as we head toward the TD, if we want to go that route. Not saying we can't or should improve any area we can, but the situation is not as urgent as it was a month ago.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I get where you're coming from but I would imagine if there's a deal out there it would happen.

A decent amount of playoff teams do. Boston, Vegas, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Florida, Rangers, Islanders. I'm probably missing some off the top of my head.

I'm just looking for a guy who can step in and carry the load if needed. Right now Pickard is barely keeping his head above water.
Ok you lost me with this comment, Pickard has played well. Are we talking about the same goalie?

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
And then proceeds to say he is obsessed with her.

Yet shes at one of his hockey games, in a city she doesnt live in, on her birthday.

No wonder she lost custody.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
And then proceeds to say he is obsessed with her.

Yet shes at one of his hockey games, in a city she doesnt live in, on her birthday.

No wonder she lost custody.

The fact she had invested in a Red Wings hat was also equal parts comical and crazy.

Reactions: BlackDogg

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think we need to jump at this right away, the way things are going. There will be some options as we head toward the TD, if we want to go that route. Not saying we can't or should improve any area we can, but the situation is not as urgent as it was a month ago.
Really depends if they want to play Skinner 65 games and run him into the ground before playoffs because thats close to what he's on pace for if the current goalie usage remains the same since Pickard was recalled. I think it probably can wait, but they're also within striking distance of divisional spots and home ice for the playoffs. The longer they wait the less likely they are to make that up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll make my one post in the thread while I've managed to be logged in for more than 5mins. This board functionality has crashed and burned. Tried 4 different browsers. This board is using twice as many browser processes as any other board and taxes computer memory like crazy.
Now this week its logging me off after each thread view. Go to a new thread, logged out.

ffs

Game good, all good, this is good. lol

Quite the win streak Oilers got going here. Loving KK.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I get where you're coming from but I would imagine if there's a deal out there it would happen.

Ok you lost me with this comment, Pickard has played well. Are we talking about the same goalie?
He's given them mediocre goaltending which is fine if he's playing only 15-20 times in a season, but you're risking burning out Skinner with that kind of workload. I'd rather have a guy you could trust for 35 games in a season so you have fresh goaltending heading into the playoffs. We've seen lots of teams who advance have to rely on more than one goaltender to get to the Cup Final. Hell, last year both Florida and Vegas got there with a goalie who didn't start the playoffs as their starter.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
ps I can't even see any comments in the thread as I can only log into random pages of threads. After first page it disconnects. lol

Never seen this board so wonky. These servers are crap.

While I can some comments on Detroit. All of Debrincat, Kane, Larkin were crap in this game. Wasn't that Larkin waving for an offside and giving up on the play as McD scored. Larkin made about 10 bad plays with the puck in this game. He was TERRIBLE in own zone and not making plays in Ozone either. On for two GA and at fault in both.

Far as Debrincat another blunder game in ownzone, terrible plays, and missing the net on all his attempts. Kane wasn't any good either. If I'm a Red Wing I'm looking for these players to be the ones to get it done. I'd still be looking.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
On her birthday no less. She has nothing better to do on her birthday than violate a restraining order to stalk her ex husband.

The crazy thing is that she doesn't even live in Detroit. Lol.

She traveled to a flyover state to harass her ex at his job on her birthday. Girl is certifiable.

Posting about Larkins junk, what a wonderful lady.

She also said she slept with him while he was a minor. 😂 Classy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Haven't really even minded his game the last 5 or so. He's getting chances every game and just not finishing (aside from his disallowed goal last night). He'll start scoring again he always does.
Was a nice goal. Apparently its ok for an opponent to nail Derek Ryan in the back sending him out of the play preventing him from playing the puck with his stick after gloving it down.

By letter of law it was a gloved pass. But no mitigating factor considered. Even as it is Ryan just missed making contact with puck as he was sent flying. How wasn't that a penalty at least.

Nice finish on the goal anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad