Post-Game Talk: Lyon was a mere paper tiger

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
As far as considering continuing the year with Skinner and Pickard goes - fine with me, but we better start having a look at Pickard in more games and in spots against better opponents.

Skinner is on pace to play 60 games as it stands now. If we can start working Pickard in more in January, have it work, and have Skinner's work load down to around 55 games by the end of the year then I won't be too worried about a repeat of last year.

We have four areas to address (top 6 RW, top 4 RD, 1A/B goalie, 3C), but can probably only feasibly address two at most. Pretty important to figure out if goalie is one we don't need to worry about soon here.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
On goal tender interference calls, I wish they say which row of Table 16, starting on page 154 of the rulebook, they settled upon:

Tuesday
I suspect the ref initially decided upon the following decision tree:
1. THE GOALKEEPER IS IN THE GOAL CREASE.

SituationResult
C. An attacking player makes incidental contact with the goalkeeper at the same time a goal is scored.Goal is disallowed. The official in hisjudgment may call a minor penalty on theattacking player. The announcementshould be, “No goal due to interferencewith the goalkeeper.”

However, personally, I think that it did not occur at the same time as the goal was scored and it had changed to the following:

5. SCREENING SITUATIONS

SituationResult
E. An attacking player plants himself on the crease line or outside the goal crease, as to obstruct the goalkeeper’s vision and impair his ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored.Goal is allowed

But with no review initiated by the Oilers, we will never know if the ruling would have changed.

Yesterday
I suspect they settled on:

5. SCREENING SITUATIONS

SituationResult
C. An attacking player skates in front of the goalkeeper, outside the crease, at the same time a goal is being scored. The attacking player remains in motion and impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal.Goal is allowed

Just potential explanations, though I am not sure I agree. Just think the NHL/referees needs to do a better job explaining what differentiates one goal tender interference call from another.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bouchard is over 1 PPG and +12 even strength since the Coaching change while leading the defense in TOI and playing against elite competition yet every post about him on this board STILL be like 'yeah but he had a bad giveaway though.'
He is playing a lot better, but to be fair, Ekholm is covering up one hell of a lot of his mistakes. He's been the best Oilers dman for while now.

As far as considering continuing the year with Skinner and Pickard goes - fine with me, but we better start having a look at Pickard in more games and in spots against better opponents.

Skinner is on pace to play 60 games as it stands now. If we can start working Pickard in more in January, have it work, and have Skinner's work load down to around 55 games by the end of the year then I won't be too worried about a repeat of last year.

We have four areas to address (top 6 RW, top 4 RD, 1A/B goalie, 3C), but can probably only feasibly address two at most. Pretty important to figure out if goalie is one we don't need to worry about soon here.
I don't think Pickard had a great game, nor did he have to. Would definitely liked to have had the 2nd goal back I'm sure. But he played well enough for us to beat a decent opponent, and really, if your backup can win a few more than he loses, that's exactly what you need to be successful in this league. I think we have plenty of time to see if this is going to work, to have a nice big sample, but so far, so good. It would be nice to have the need chart reduced by goaltending for sure.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Well what else can they do? Their 5 mil dollar goalie is a bust, no one is giving away good goalies, what do you suggest they do?
there is literally a goalie market out there, only problem is there are multiple buyers

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Agreed Skinner needs to the 35 game guy, and a 1a the established starter to really compete
I still think that if Minny continues to implode (please lose as much as possible when they have guys out) and slip out of the race, then I'd love to see us get Fleury at the TD. I think he'd be a perfect fit for this team.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Bouchard is over 1 PPG and +12 even strength since the Coaching change while leading the defense in TOI and playing against elite competition yet every post about him on this board STILL be like 'yeah but he had a bad giveaway though.
Bouchard is over 1 PPG and +12 even strength since the Coaching change while leading the defense in TOI and playing against elite competition yet every post about him on this board STILL be like 'yeah but he had a bad giveaway though.'
Fans in this city are so fickle when it comes to defenseman and always have been. If you’re not 6’4 220 and hit everything in site while still being a complete stalwart you are a garbage defenseman in a lot of people’s eyes. Maybe it’s the blue collar attitude of the city maybe it’s something else IDK. But either way it seems to be the way it is here and it’s really not fair to D men.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Pretty much the same, or worse even, because the dead cat reset from a new coach in-season wouldn't have happened.

Maybe after three fired coaches and five straight seasons of this exact thing happening, some of you will accept this is a player issue.

Yeah, nobody wants to even consider this.

It's always fire the coach, fire the asst coach, fire the GM, fire the training staff, fire the owner around here.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I wonder if those still saying the Makar goal in the 2022 playoffs shouldn't have counted would say McDavid's goal tonight was offside? Hyman yet to tag up, McDavid played it into the zone.

View attachment 801427
Nah, this fanbase has already "made up" the scenario where this isn't what happened on the Makar goal & his should have been overturned but McDavid's was a good goal.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't think it really is going to make that big of a difference.

If a team in the playoffs is smart and they scout Skinner's specific weaknesses with lateral movement and poor rebounds, then him having 5 games extra rest in the regular season is really not going to stop a team that has some fire power upfront from going to town on him.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Deserved to count, the league absolutely would have called it back after a 10+ minute review if Detroit had challenged

What, sincerely, mesmerizes me about this, is how much McDavid can process at this speed. I can't even fathom it.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I posted this in the OT but I accidently deleted the link, so I'll post it here since it seems relevant.

1705089695070.png

It's not just an Oilers board thing, guys. :D

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
You're right that he's performed fine. But if you want to contend in the playoffs your backup needs to be capable of taking on a starter role in case of injury or complete collapse from your starter. You also need someone who can play 35 games. Pickard isn't either of those things. They still need to upgrade the position and it should be one of their top 3 targets moving forward along with a Top 4 RHD and a 3rd line C.
Also, how many teams have the luxury of having a capable starter if their starter goes down with an injury? It's not like all contenders are running with 2 starting goalies. I highly doubt Holland is content but it sounds lo like easier than it is

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well what else can they do? Their 5 mil dollar goalie is a bust, no one is giving away good goalies, what do you suggest they do?
There are plenty of available goalies. The difficulty is how to make cap space for it. You either go a cheap option or double retention with a 3rd team involved, or you pay up big time to get a goalie and dump Campbell. The latter is probably not worth losing picks you can use on other rentals so you probably go the first option and buy out Campbell in the summer.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
There are plenty of available goalies. The difficulty is how to make cap space for it. You either go a cheap option or double retention with a 3rd team involved, or you pay up big time to get a goalie and dump Campbell. The latter is probably not worth losing picks you can use on other rentals so you probably go the first option and buy out Campbell in the summer.
That's what I mean, the Oilers aren't in a position to upgrade Pickard and at this point I really don't see the need. The way they're playing D they really don't need a 1a 1b nor is that an option

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Also, how many teams have the luxury of having a capable starter if their starter goes down with an injury? It's not like all contenders are running with 2 starting goalies. I highly doubt Holland is content but it sounds lo like easier than it is
A decent amount of playoff teams do. Boston, Vegas, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Florida, Rangers, Islanders. I'm probably missing some off the top of my head.

I'm just looking for a guy who can step in and carry the load if needed. Right now Pickard is barely keeping his head above water.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Make it 10. 40 or so games left, let’s go crazy and pass Vancouver.
I cannot see it happening. They have giant horseshoes up their behinds lol. They are good too. Their 3rd line saved them from a slump. How long are guys like Joshua, Hoglander, etc going to keep scoring.

How long will they have almost 7 20%+ shooters (have 5 and two are close). I posted it in the OOT thread. Vancouver has 7 players with a higher shooting % than our top guy (Hyman)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad