LW Toni Rajala - Luleå HF, SHL (2009, 101st, EDM; UFA)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He was crazy good when he was Jr, I played against him and he was the King on the ice, you couldn't hit him and and he was a beauty offensively.

I was sure he was going to be an NHL player.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He just hasn't improved his physicality at all. Still looks the same skinny kid as he was at 18.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I remember reading up on him, seemed like the type of guy if he put in a lot of work in the gym he could of made some real impact.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
He played great in the AHL. Obviously a clear step down from the NHL, but to play like that in the AHL at that age...

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
A couple years back he certainly was the flavor of the month. There was a massive discussion on him that I believe went multiple threads.

He has talent no doubt...just never seemed to get the required strength that would be necessary to become a full time NHLer.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
i remember wanting Detroit to take him and we took Tatar instead.

Rajala skated circles around Canadian defs at under-18. Those were Cowen-type defs but anyway that was impressive.

Arselona

Nov 9, 2007
I don't think it's fair to call Rajala a bust. He was overhyped here for sure but drafted in 4th round.

Put up great AHL stats and probably would have played in his first NHL game in 2013-14 hadn't he left for Europe. Too bad. Seems to be doing good in Europe and maybe we'll see him on NA ice one day. Like Lehterä. Hopefully he'll become good on the adults national team soon. Finland sure could use some more good offensive players.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He was a scared boy among men in 2011-12. Didn't go to the dirty area, no physical play whatsoever and gave up the puck if he was about to put himself in a position to get hit.

If he hasn't changed much from that, the SHL is probably the best option.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
He was crazy good when he was Jr, I played against him and he was the King on the ice, you couldn't hit him and and he was a beauty offensively.

I was sure he was going to be an NHL player.

He wasn't nearly as good in junior as you suggest

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I don't think it's fair to call Rajala a bust. He was overhyped here for sure but drafted in 4th round.

Put up great AHL stats and probably would have played in his first NHL game in 2013-14 hadn't he left for Europe. Too bad. Seems to be doing good in Europe and maybe we'll see him on NA ice one day. Like Lehterä. Hopefully he'll become good on the adults national team soon. Finland sure could use some more good offensive players.

Rajala was a king on the ice, when he was a junior player.
What he did wrong and why, he didn't improve his physical abilities at all that i don't know.

Rajala hasn't get a fair chance to show his skills, in Finland's men's national team.
Because Finland producing right now, good winger prospects like Rantanen,Laine,Puljujarvi,Lehkonen,Kapanen, Granlund's brothers, Pulkkinen,Teravainen i don't see there's a spot for Rajala without injuries.

And what comes other wingers like Mikael Granlund,Joonas Donskoi and Teemu Pulkkinen those guys are ahead for Rajala.
Rajala Granlund Pulkkinen was probably one the best top scoring lines what Finland ever had in national junior teams.
Also i'm sure Rajala Granlund and Pulkkinen would have done serious damage in men's national team that's for sure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad