LW Toni Rajala - Luleå HF, SHL (2009, 101st, EDM; UFA)

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The kid is looking promising. I said it before this year it's way too early to write him off before he's even played an AHL game. Hopefully he keeps it up.. Not sure he has a future here in Edmonton but at the least he's becoming a good prospect that could be included in a package deal.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
The kid is looking promising. I said it before this year it's way too early to write him off before he's even played an AHL game. Hopefully he keeps it up.. Not sure he has a future here in Edmonton but at the least he's becoming a good prospect that could be included in a package deal.

Yeah I really hope he gets traded. For a small skill forward like him any team is better than Edmonton.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

If he puts up PPG in the AHL next year I could see another team putting a decently high value on him, would rather keep him for right now and the next 1-2 years rather than get a 3rd for him

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Part of me feels like the emergence of Rajala kind of pushed Edmonton to trade a guy like Reider for Kessy.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Wow. Just noticed his numbers. Awesome to see. I was pushing hard for the Rangers to take him with their 2nd in 09. Kind of wrote him off after seeing that he was in the ECHL last year.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Late bloomer potential?

Id argue he was a guy who peaked (at least in the eyes of scouts) too early. He was a Top 10-15 guy going into his draft year, but his size and complete lack of physical play scared teams away.

He may be blocked in Edmonton though, they got a lot of skilled guys in the wing, and Im not sure Rajala is fit for the bottom two lines.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
Wow. Just noticed his numbers. Awesome to see. I was pushing hard for the Rangers to take him with their 2nd in 09. Kind of wrote him off after seeing that he was in the ECHL last year.

This year* actually.
His season started off the ECHL when Hall/Eberle/Nuge were down in the OKC, but once the NHL started up Rajala got the call-up and has been doing well ever since.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
I wonder what this kid is thinking. How the hell does not a very skinny hockey player gain any pounds in the past 3 years or so?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Id argue he was a guy who peaked (at least in the eyes of scouts) too early. He was a Top 10-15 guy going into his draft year, but his size and complete lack of physical play scared teams away.

He may be blocked in Edmonton though, they got a lot of skilled guys in the wing, and Im not sure Rajala is fit for the bottom two lines.

I don't think he ever was a 10 to 15 guy. Maybe on these boards. People or fans got excited because he put up numbers at the under 17s and just decided he was the next big thing. Toni is like a lot of small guys that excel offensively at a young age, you wonder if they can do it when they have to play against pros. It took a bit and maybe getting a bit of his confidence back after going back home and being told he had wasted his talent playing in the WHL for a year. He looks like a solid AHLer who can produce at that level. Now the next step will be waiting for that call up to see if he can translate it at the NHL level.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
As good as Toni has been in the AHL i just cant see him making it in NHL. Too weak and shy of the physical battles. And not too good of a stickhandler/shooter to make up for those weaknesses.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
What is his weight atm for real?

North American porridge working or not?

If he is still mickey mouse it doesn't matter what numbers he puts on...KHL/Elitserien material most likely

Koto

May 3, 2011
Part of me feels like the emergence of Rajala kind of pushed Edmonton to trade a guy like Reider for Kessy.

I don't think this has anything to do with it. Reider is more well rounded at a younger age and is a better prospect overall.

That trade had to do with PHX exploiting our idiot management and their sudden obsession with sizable players who have very little chance to play in the NHL.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I don't think this has anything to do with it. Reider is more well rounded at a younger age and is a better prospect overall.

That trade had to do with PHX exploiting our idiot management and their sudden obsession with sizable players who have very little chance to play in the NHL.

As opposed to small players that have very little chance to play in the NHL?

Most guys drafted in the 4th round have very little chance to play in the NHL

The odd things is Reider is having a nice playoff with 12 points and Kessy is having a nice playoff with 13 points, 11 of those goals. Seems like a nice trade off to me.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
It's nice to see that one of our forward prospects is performing well, the same can't be said about some of the others.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Rajala now has 8 points in 5 AHL playoff games. Could someone who has been able to watch the games tell me how he's looked? I am really happy for the kid he has been called a bust by everyone but he's showing everyone what he is capable of doing:handclap:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sounds like the "New Nordic Line" of Hartikainen-Lander-Rajala is doing really well. Rajala taking Paajarvi's spots on the "Nordic Line" may have actually made it quite a bit better.

I wish it were easier to find streams to watch the games.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Sounds like the "New Nordic Line" of Hartikainen-Lander-Rajala is doing really well. Rajala taking Paajarvi's spots on the "Nordic Line" may have actually made it quite a bit better.

Sounds like a very poor man's Finnish sandwich.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
PPG in reg season and now has 9 pts in 6 games in playoffs. Coming on strong, I could see him get a cup of coffee in the NHL next year, Oilers or another team

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Toni has surprised almost everyone in Finland with his great AHL season overall. He was quite close to come back to Europe after a disappointment caused by starting the season in ECHL. Maybe this worked in a positive way and brought extra energy to show everyone that he is still a good prospect.

Toni has been very productive and if this continues next season, he must get his chance in the NHL. However, there is still a long way from top lines in AHL to top lines in NHL. Toni brings no added value to checking lines, so he needs to get PP time etc.

Droog

Feb 28, 2010
Hadn't heard anything about him since he was waived back in August, but he has 7+5 in 11 games in HV71, which is at the bottom of the league, so far. Has any Swede seen him play?

Mukfors

Feb 1, 2012
Hadn't heard anything about him since he was waived back in August, but he has 7+5 in 11 games in HV71, which is at the bottom of the league, so far. Has any Swede seen him play?

Raajala and William Karlsson are playing great offensive hockey, very flashy. Not seen him that much but I belive he is a big part of HV 71´s recent success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad