LW Toni Rajala - Luleå HF, SHL (2009, 101st, EDM; UFA)

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
He was a scared boy among men in 2011-12. Didn't go to the dirty area, no physical play whatsoever and gave up the puck if he was about to put himself in a position to get hit.

If he hasn't changed much from that, the SHL is probably the best option.

Did you see many games of him in 11-12 season? I saw quite a few Rajala's games back then and I wouldn't say he had no physical play at all. He played a very perimeter game but I wouldn't say he was avoiding physical contact.
I saw him playing EHT games in 2013 december and he played very perimeter style in those games. Some people have been asking why hasn't Rajala played in the national team that much, but I think the reason is his style to play perimeter. National team goaches want players who are inside the game and who are always working hard and battling for the puck. Rajala is outside waiting for changes to get to offence. He is not an ideal national team player because of his style.

I don't think it's fair to call Rajala a bust. He was overhyped here for sure but drafted in 4th round.

Put up great AHL stats and probably would have played in his first NHL game in 2013-14 hadn't he left for Europe. Too bad.

Rajala seemed to have superstar caliber potential at the time when he turned 15. After that his stakes have slowly but steadily gone downwards and getting drafted by the Oilers surely didn't help him. Probably if he had been drafted by the Red Wings, he would be in the NHL already, but the Wings took Andrej Nestrasil and Gleason Fournier instead.
Rajala still has the potential to make it in the NHL, but it's up his willingness to focus on developing him self for that. He is not too far from the NHL either.

I never understood why did the Oilers gave up on him. Rajala told to Oilers staff, he wants to go to another team, because he felt, he wouldn't get a change in the NHL with Oilers in the upcoming season 13-14 and the Oilers staff decided to determine Rajalas contract. If they were not able to trade him, they should have waited and seen, how Rajala does during the season and then either give him a spot in the NHL or trade him to another organisation.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Nice, we had a double posting in here. But I would ad to my original posting, that Arcobello, who was a very equal player to Rajala, had a very good season in 13-14 and probably, if Rajala had stayed there he would have maked to the NHL aswell.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I never understood why did the Oilers gave up on him. Rajala told to Oilers staff, he wants to go to another team, because he felt, he wouldn't get a change in the NHL with Oilers in the upcoming season 13-14 and the Oilers staff decided to determine Rajalas contract. If they were not able to trade him, they should have waited and seen, how Rajala does during the season and then either give him a spot in the NHL or trade him to another organisation.

The contract was mutually terminated, so it was as much Rajala's decision as the Oilers.

I don't think he was interested in playing in the AHL anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad