LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, Laine's analysis on why they lost might begin with "Because the coach made me play on the incorrect wing".

Did Laine just win the MVP and the best forward of the tournament award on his wrong wing? Hrm. Not bad.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lol @ people thinking Laine flipping his coach off (probably for a good reason) at age 15 is an issue

Was it not threatening to kill at 16????

I hadnt heard about it. Then it was kind of dismissed when i aske here
Then more people brought it up and i heard a few diff stories.

Might be nothing. But not great. I havent seen that happen before

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
To me, this quote sounds like Matthews and Pulj are a lot closer to 10/10 skaters than Laine is, therefore more room for improvement

That is how I read it as well. Laine needs to get better at skating and he also needs strength for one on ones and along the boards. I guess the important thing is, it is not unrealistic to believe that he will improve on both. Since he is young and he has been growing fast. Time will tell.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
This might sound corny but sometimes losing can be more valuable than winning especially for a younger player. Player who lost the game can now objectively analyze the game what went wrong. Loss can motivate to be an even better and it's easier to find own weaknesses from a bad game. Too much success can be a bad thing for development.

Mistakes and losses are part of learning process and i hope Laine understands this too.

Very well put. I was thinking exactly the same way after Finland lost the final. Might be after all a very good thing to the development of Laine, and also Aho and Rantanen.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
He wasn't even best player on team Finland.

He had incredible season.. We won't see that from a Finn anytime soon.

He played after Finnish playoffs so he was tired like nobody else - like Ovechkin and others who came from Playoffs. Even Pulujarvi said that he is too tired to play at Wc2016. Even with all this he became an MVP just turned 18 YO:handclap: . You greatly underestimate your superplayer.
For Laine -Jets will be best choice- Leafs -is too hard by pressure for kid

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Well, Laine's analysis on why they lost might begin with "Because the coach made me play on the incorrect wing".

Did Laine just win the MVP and the best forward of the tournament award on his wrong wing? Hrm. Not bad.

playing on your off wing is actually a benefit for pure offensive wingers.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Positives: big league shot, tons of offensive prowess, projectable frame. Seems to have big game potential but on the whole i dont really believe in that.
Nice that you posted some positives out of him, but ended it with negatives.:laugh:

Today's game was hard for Finland and when you just defend players like Laine can't be used to their maxes. There were couple of good plays tonight too tho. I think tournament MVP is pretty good accomplishment.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Finland lost its chance on a triple gold... I guess Finland still has the next season, the super 99s are coming to take care of u18s at least and Laine, Pulju and Aho are eligible and hopefully even better for u20s.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Don't think so considering he only scored 1 point from the right and his play was weak whenever he didn't swing towards the center / his actual wing. Your statement actually makes no sense.

edit: Yes I was incorrect, Laine's technique is good, he needs more explosiveness.

Last edited:

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Was it not threatening to kill at 16????

I hadnt heard about it. Then it was kind of dismissed when i aske here
Then more people brought it up and i heard a few diff stories.

Might be nothing. But not great. I havent seen that happen before

Like any decent Finn he has a "puukko" in his stick.
He drew it during practice and backstabbed his coach.
The coach turned, pulled his knife and cut him in his leg.

That, btw, is how Laine got injured two years ago...

strat1

Jan 14, 2016
Very well put. I was thinking exactly the same way after Finland lost the final. Might be after all a very good thing to the development of Laine, and also Aho and Rantanen.

I'm glad that others shares same opinions too as i. :)

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

I agree.

Laine is RHD. RHD wingers offwing is LW which is also Laine's preferred position. He played the whole tournament at RW.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Nice that you posted some positives out of him, but ended it with negatives.:laugh:

Today's game was hard for Finland and when you just defend players like Laine can't be used to their maxes. There were couple of good plays tonight too tho. I think tournament MVP is pretty good accomplishment.

Because i dont believe in "clutch" as much as others do? I think its over rated. Not just because of laine. I mean martin gelinas was clutch for calgary......... Its not against the prospect. He has the biggest boom bust potential. People can look at positives and negatives. Its ok.

He had a very good tournament, made some great plays and showed some physicality. Like i originally thought, he didnt look as good without time and space. But that doesnt mean he sucks. Just
That it is a concern. He was not the mvp of the tourney that was a bad decision If they have it to matthews that would have been just as bad too

I love his interviews, i wonder about his attitude. I love his goals but i worry about predictability. He is just a much more interesting player to talk about because of the peaks and valleys.

Statements favourable comparisons to all time greats make no sense. People can have balanced opinions

Last edited:

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

:nod:

Or people didn't pass him the puck :sarcasm:

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
I saw 102 when he scored against Denmark, so I'm guessing 104.

And SM-Liga difficult much more than swiss. Laine was 17 most of the yearand he grows like rocket during the year. He plays all possible tournaments so i think he was tired much more than Mathews

JA

I saw 102 when he scored against Denmark, so I'm guessing 104.
Is this confirmed? What is the breakdown? I would like to add that information to the OP, so I would like to makes sure it is 100% accurate.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And SM-Liga difficult much more than swiss. Laine was 17 most of the yearand he grows like rocket during the year. He plays all possible tournaments so i think he was tired much more than Mathews

Yep, he turned 18 something like 2 days before the final Liiga game, so this was a 17y old season for him.
Pretty damm impressive, I'm hoping he'll get to play Lw in the NHL.

Is this confirmed? What is the breakdown? I would like to add that information to the OP, so I would like to makes sure it is 100% accurate.

It was said during the game by Mertaranta.
He talked about Laine being 1 away from his 50th goal of the season and then he scored it and said 50th goal in his 102 game.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
:nod:

Or people didn't pass him the puck :sarcasm:

This game the entire system was a miss, I wonder if there even was a situation. In the game vs Russia though, there certainly was one moment during the second period that I found very confusing.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I count 100 on his eliteprospects site, which 4 games is it missing?

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

Eliteprospects have him at 100gp 48g + 36a = 84p

This is missing a couple pre-season games as Finnish media made news about him reaching 50 goals this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad