LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Think about it this way. Jussi Jokinen had 1 point, and Laine had 3. So since Jussi scored 60 points last season Laine will score 180 next season. I think we're good. :sarcasm:

And I'm pretty worried for the careers of McDavid and Matthews, as they both were without any points on a game day when Granlund scored 2+1... :naughty:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Could someone with some basic photo editing skills please put Laine's face on Lady Bri's armoured body? I think that's what this thread is missing.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think the issue seems to be that people are looking at laine's progression in the last 5 or 6 months and assuming it will be linear. Prospects improve in stops and starts. Or they stagnate
Im not sure how people dont know this. Thats why track record is so important

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Laine is good but so is Matthews. It is better that he is going to draft second overall. Toronto is not best hockey town to be at this point of hes career. Winnipeg is kind of place to be and there is not that big hype for him that it would be in Toronto.

Another problem is that Mike Babcock haves hes own style to make hes team to play overall defensive hockey and we just don´t want to see this kind of sniper to start make all hes decisions at that way.

So please every Finnish guy here, just hope that he is not gonna selected first, because that could be really bad for him.

Ya. A young star would rather be in winnipeg than toronto.....

LemurFromTheId

Feb 21, 2014
Could someone with some basic photo editing skills please put Laine's face on Lady Bri's armoured body? I think that's what this thread is missing.

You mean something like this?

8vg8yPn.jpg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Pretty good debut game at the WHC. Laine just keeps on upping his draft stock the more games he plays this year.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think the issue seems to be that people are looking at laine's progression in the last 5 or 6 months and assuming it will be linear. Prospects improve in stops and starts. Or they stagnate
Im not sure how people dont know this. Thats why track record is so important

Or maybe the issue is that Laine suffered for quite a while for a knee injury, that hindered his one whole off season training, and he had to also be recuperating from it even during the first half of this season. He was completely underestimated by almost every scout because of the skating problems that he had during that time. Only since this year he has been thoroughly able to improve his skating and do the proper muscle training for his feet. The forthcoming off-season will be huge for him, if he will avoid any other leg injuries.

While Laine was having these problems with his knee, Matthews was gaining a clear gap on him, but it was also almost completely forgotten how great talent Laine really is. Only after the WJC the scouts started waking up to the reality again. Laine is anyway almost 8 months younger than Matthews, and he is clearly still also physically rawer than Matthews. Even despite these facts, he has been the better player in WJC and also in the national league playoffs than Matthews. Just wait and see what happens, when Laine catches up the physical development delay that he got during his serious knee injury.

Matthews will be a very good player, but to me it is absolutely clear that Laine will become an even better player and a bigger star. Only thing that could maybe change it, would be another really nasty injury. I definitely hope that neither of them will get any problems with major injuries. And hopefully they both become top stars to the NHL. I don't even mind if Matthews becomes a better player and bigger star, but I find that extremely unlikely still.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
I think the best thing that has happened to Laine was that **** in juniors with the coach and the publicity of it. That mental coach that Laine has been seeing has done wonders, Patrik is much more mature now, he's playing is much better and he now seems to have good confidence. It's not arrogance, but he knows he's good and he knows he will be much better. I like even not in the sexy time way :handclap:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Its quite funny how biased many "NA experts" (TSN guys etc.) are for Matthews even after day 1 in WHC. Ok it was just Belarus for Patman but it's almost like somebody's job was on the line if they don't praise Matthews too after praising Laine.

I have said it before I don't care which one gets picked 1st and I really hope Laine gets picked 2nd because Jets will be powerhouse in few years time and Leafs will always be Leafs :naughty:

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Yeah there's only one Mario.

When it's all said and done, Ovi will likely be in that list too. He's a first ballot hall of famer.

If Crosby, and especially McDavid, is in that list so is Ovechkin

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Its quite funny how biased many "NA experts" (TSN guys etc.) are for Matthews even after day 1 in WHC. Ok it was just Belarus for Patman but it's almost like somebody's job was on the line if they don't praise Matthews too after praising Laine.

I have said it before I don't care which one gets picked 1st and I really hope Laine gets picked 2nd because Jets will be powerhouse in few years time and Leafs will always be Leafs :naughty:

Have noticed same thing all year. Go watch www.tsn.ca/draftcentre 5 first articles is about Matthews and him shining yesterday. Laine was best player on ice yesterday in FIN-BLR and broke some records. I can't see even 1 tiny thing from Laine. It's getting pretty crazy.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Have noticed same thing all year. Go watch www.tsn.ca/draftcentre 5 first articles is about Matthews and him shining yesterday. Laine was best player on ice yesterday in FIN-BLR and broke some records. I can't see even 1 tiny thing from Laine. It's getting pretty crazy.

It's totally biased media there. No wonder why some posters are so fundamental on Matthews: the hype train is very real in NA too. But so it is here. I think yesterday there was 10 articles about Laine and Zero on Matthews.

Last edited:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
All the little things...

Matthews turnover: Marchand scores for Canada, this one "NA hockey media guy" doesnt tweet about it, but when Laine makes a mistake where Belarus scores, boom there is a tweet about it.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
All the little things...

Matthews turnover: Marchand scores for Canada, this one "NA hockey media guy" doesnt tweet about it, but when Laine makes a mistake where Belarus scores, boom there is a tweet about it.

What is his twitter account anyway? Probably making answer for that tweet with a gif matthews making that turnover tonight :laugh: The bias is absolutely equal on both sides I think.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
What is his twitter account anyway? Probably making answer for that tweet with a gif matthews making that turnover tonight :laugh: The bias is absolutely equal on both sides I think.
I cant remember the correct account as I was surfing around but it was the TSN's "MUST SEE: Andrei Stas picks off Patrik Laine to score a shorty for Belarus" video. Though they posted his goals too :D ...it might have been just that TSN account.

Last edited:

StPatrik

Apr 13, 2016
It makes me laugh to watch all the draft related hyping each time one of them makes some move on the ice. I know I'm a bit biased as a Finn, though I'll happily admit Matthews is going to be a great player. I don't know who's better. I think Laine has done more impressive things this season, but will that transfer to the NHL, I don't know. They are different and will continue to be next season and thereafter. Time will tell who'll make a bigger impact. At the moment I'd be kind of disappointed if Laine went to the Leafs instead of the Jets. But getting that first #1 OA Finnish pick would be historical..

What I'm really excited about now is the wonderful chemistry between Laine-Barkov. Think about in a couple of years after Pulju gets his game to a mature level. Laine-Barkov-Pulju will be "generational" for the next several olympics/World Cups. Something to look forward to..

Last edited:

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Ik...it's sad how persistent they are, even when his linemates appear on the stat sheet and he doesn't.

It's beyond a joke. But I guess Toronto-based media have some kind need for upping his status. I found it hilarious when TSN claimed AM was the best USA player on ice when he actually was one of the worst. He did not look like NHL-player yesterday.

I know Finnish media tends to hype Laine but they only do it when it's justified, not after bad game. I wonder what TSN looks like when AM makes his first goal, if he makes one.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
best 18 year old Pure Sniper which i saw in my life (including Ovie - He wasnt this good against mature man at his 17-18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese