LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
That Barkov Laine pair may became best thing to happen to Finnish national hockey team since... I don't even know...

Teemu had superb goal touch, it's hard to never ever be matched, and if some one matches it you cannot project it easily when kid is 18.

BUT this kid.. his other assets. The glide, the playmaking, the physicality, the dangling, are actually better than Teemus. Teemu has goal scoring touch (likely) and explosiveness / speed on Laine, but other assets probably for Laine, even 2way play.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Goal scoring all-time record for a player in Laines age (18) in wc since world war two is 3 goals and all-time in point record is 5. He got a great start!

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
Laine is good but so is Matthews. It is better that he is going to draft second overall. Toronto is not best hockey town to be at this point of hes career. Winnipeg is kind of place to be and there is not that big hype for him that it would be in Toronto.

Another problem is that Mike Babcock haves hes own style to make hes team to play overall defensive hockey and we just don´t want to see this kind of sniper to start make all hes decisions at that way.

So please every Finnish guy here, just hope that he is not gonna selected first, because that could be really bad for him.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
His points came from pretty weak shots. Is that something to be concerned about?
The first almost died before the goal line, the 2nd was straight at the goalie and his assist was not even intended as an assist.
Instead he was trying some fancy dekes.
And he couldn't stop the shorthanded breakaway.
I think, Kekalainen is crossing his fingers Laine won't drop to 3rd.
And Jets fans obviously try to fool Leafs by hyping Laine.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The first almost died before the goal line, the 2nd was straight at the goalie and his .

:laugh: You haven't even probably seen the goal situation I guess. That was fantastic play with along Barkov. And no the puck wasn't even close to "die" wtf? He just tap it in.

strat1

Jan 14, 2016
His points came from pretty weak shots. Is that something to be concerned about?
The first almost died before the goal line, the 2nd was straight at the goalie and his assist was not even intended as an assist.

His first goal was a finesse goal, he obviously tapped that in.

Koivu's pass wasn't perfect on 2nd goal. He could have gotten even better shot with a better pass.

That breakaway goal wasn't Laine's fault completely, Hietanen did a mistake too.

4. Yeah i agree, that assist came with 100% luck

Last edited:

Visul

Dec 22, 2015
^ Are your sarcasm radars really that out of order? :laugh: Haha, great post Bruce Granville!

That's fantastic to see that Laine seems to be very relaxed in rink although he is playing the biggest games of his life. You could assume that teenager would be nervous at least in his first WHC game but there was no signs of that. No doubt Patrik will be high on the goal scoring competition of this tournament.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Goal scoring all-time record for a player in Laines age (18) in wc since world war two is 3 goals and all-time in point record is 5. He got a great start!

Yeah right. Crosby got 8 goals and 16 points at age of 18 and I don't know if it is even a record.

strat1

Jan 14, 2016
Well it's pretty hard to tell if people are serious or not especially if you are at hfboards. So many biased Matthews and Laine posters here.

sob

Jul 25, 2003
Finland
Visit site
Quite a bad game from Laine. A huge miss on Granlund's 2nd goal and a couple of bad wristers, when Barkov was all but free to put an empty netter. Patrik needs to amp his game to justify his #2 spot. :sarcasm:

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015

Even if the shots were "pretty weak" that is the last thing anyone should be worried about. The assist was obviously lucky.

He gave a bad pass and lost the battle on the consequent breakaway but he came back with a goal and the assist within minutes of that. That to me is VERY impressive, shows a lot of character.

Now that I read the last two lines of your post, I realised I took the bait. I tip my fedora to you good sir.

Last edited by a moderator:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Sarcasm is not going to work in this thread right now. Could fully expect that to be seriously said around in this subject but I'm glad if that was sarcasm, probably luckily it was.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Is it just me or did Jokinen-Barkov-Laine line play very little in the 3rd period? It was probably 2-3mins for that line in the 3rd. I guess KJ was saving them & protecting from injuries. Was a shame because I wanted Laine to finish that hat trick, which was pretty damn close twice. He almost got 3 goals in second period alone.

Laine was awful and not a single team is going to pick him in 2016. He has to try again 2017.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Finns I'm really sorry everything you say from now to the draft will have an asterisk next to it that says *finnish homer, it's really unfair

The first goal was on an empty net, after a gorgeous no look pass on-point to Barkov. The second was a perfect shot from the behind the left circle over the left shoulder pad of the goalie into the top right corner. I almost shed a tear on the second it was so perfect and he made it look so easy. He had maybe a 3x3 inch window and he made it look like he was shooting into a soccer goal. Like they say about Lebron, a true star makes greatness look easy.

The first Belarus goal was his fault. I see people trying to pin it on Heitanen as well but Laine was handling the puck at center ice, the defense collapsed faster than he anticipated and he put it at the feet of Heitanen, who tried to kick it to his stick but by that time the defender was already there. Then Laine couldn't stop him from behind on the break, but it's not like Laine is projected to be a defensive backstop anyways...

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Okay, but honestly...how good is Laine, when Granlund got 2+1, too?
He has 31 goals in 4(!) seasons...

Where does that put Laine?

Another Patrik Stefan? 64 goals in his whole NHL career?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Okay, but honestly...how good is Laine, when Granlund got 2+1, too?
He has 31 goals in 4(!) seasons...

Where does that put Laine?

Another Patrik Stefan? 64 goals in his whole NHL career?
Think about it this way. Jussi Jokinen had 1 point, and Laine had 3. So since Jussi scored 60 points last season Laine will score 180 next season. I think we're good. :sarcasm:

Afrodude

Nov 25, 2011
Finland
Laine with Barkov, arguably the best Finnish hockey player in recent memory, is a joy to watch. Finland has never seen two as young talented and ready players in WHC ever.

I'm so drunk at the moment, I tried to write for fifteen minutes some in-depth analysis of Laines game, but **** it. I'm a ****in homer, Laine is the most exciting propects from Finland ever. Barkov was, and still is the more rounded player of these two, but Laine has the gamechanging momentum in him. So, as a Finnish hockey fan, I am more than thrilled about the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad