LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA

I keep hearing he has that Ovi/Hull shot. Is that actually a fair comparison? or is it kinda going over the board?
Here's a reference -- all of his goals from the 2015-16 Liiga season.

All of his 2016 Liiga playoff goals, and many shift highlights as well, all in chronological order (17-minute package).

Laine's 2016 IIHF U-20 World Junior Championship highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwf64yOB1wo

2015 IIHF U-18 tournament highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=445JOZMdxSY

jesse-puljujarvi-karpat-patrik-laine-tappara.jpg

xlarge-16053194.jpg

Patrik%20Laine%20Roope%20Hintz.jpg

lainejyraapyoralan1204hanninen.jpg

patrik-laine-tappara-1.jpg

CbrN_UWWAAE-EOJ.jpg

patrikpatelaine0704hanninen.jpg

53ef4f3aa5d2475ca2df668b1930f488.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SQJ

Jan 2, 2015
It's a huge shame his last season was a total writeoff. I'm pretty sure he could have played in Liiga for the bigger part of the 2014-15 season. Without the knee injury he might be the consensus #1 right now. These type of talents don't come around often in Finland, and it would be great to finally have the 1st overall pick

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Can we start this one off right by naming it LW Justin Bieber - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft)?

JA

18th birthday yesterday.

23594351-730x483.jpg

From the things I've heard and seen, Laine doesn't strike me as a lazy worker. He has always had the desire to become the best player out there and it just doesn't fit Laine's personality to train lazily and throw all the potential down the drain, especially now when he has picked his game up from last years into whole new level.

Also, I remember him saying something like this after WJC: "I need to train, train and train to become even better. Without forgetting to rest and eat well". Basically all the things you wanna hear from him at his age.

And lastly, Laine said he isn't one of the those youngsters who likes to party or celebrate big time when something happens. For example, Laine celebrates his 18th birthday tomorrow by playing in finals and will probably just have coffee and cake with his family. So not getting wasted as F like rest of us would do.
One step closer to Formula 1.
Laine just retired from his hockey career before the G7. It came clear to him that he is too good for the game and decided to change his career to F1 driver and become another Iceman like Ferrari driver Kimi Räikkönen. So have to prioritize the driving.

patrik-laine-ajaa-jatkossa-bmw-420-henkiloautolla.jpg

7296decc73b94ab733a2b79ab960262f99908d54-2571197-1104-KAR-TAP-Laine-mopoauto_15.jpg

JA

Schedule for the next two Liiga final games (Tappara vs HIFK):

Game 4: April 22, 2016 at 18:30 Finland time (8:30 AM PST).
Game 5: April 23, 2016 at 17:00 Finland time (7:00 AM PST).

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Laine is 4 goals from the all time goal scoring record in one liiga playoff, he is probably the best player ever at this age from finland. He is challenging matthews for the #1 spot in the draft, still matthews is a lock for team USA.. But Laine is acording to many poster not even like likely to play in wc? I dont quiet get that.. In my books he should be a lock for team finland.. They need a big goalscorer and I think it would be a big mistake to not play him in the worlds.

Last edited:

JA

Laine is 4 goals from the all time goal scoring record in one liiga playoff, he is probably the best player ever at this age from finland. He is challenging matthews for the #1 spot in the draft, still matthews is a lock for team USA.. But Laine is acording to many poster not even like likely to play in wc? I dont quiet get that.. In my books he should be a lock for team finland.. They need a big goalscorer and I think it would be a big mistake to not play him in the worlds.
Based on skill level and accomplishments, Laine would be a lock for next month's World Championship.

That said, it seems rather difficult to read what Team Finland's coaching staff wants to do. Some believe that he will not be selected due to his age. People are just hoping that he is chosen, and it appears pretty obvious that he should be on the team. Until he is guaranteed a spot, however, there will remain some uncertainty about his status with the World Championship roster.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
That said, it seems rather difficult to read what Team Finland's coaching staff wants to do. Some believe that he will not be selected due to his age. People are just hoping that he is chosen, and it appears pretty obvious that he should be on the team. Until he is guaranteed a spot, however, there will remain some uncertainty about his status with the World Championship roster.

Agreed, but age should not be a factor. If you're good you're good.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's not his age so much as certain raw aspects of his game - which, admittedly, rarely if ever manifest themselves outside young players (the inverse is certainly possible, a young player without noticeable raw aspects - look at Barkov for example). Though even if they are still noticeable in Laine, they certainly aren't as pronounced as in most other players who are his peers agewise.

So in that sense one thing that should not be up for debate is whether he is a risk-reward player or not. He is. The standing question is, if the risks are deemed low enough, or the reward is high enough to ignore whatever risks involved. The consensus here seems to be "yes they are" (and I don't disagree), but we have no way of telling whether that will reflect the thoughts of the coach.

If he didn't have those raw aspects and was still shunned because of his age, then it would be age-based discrimination and thoroughly unacceptable. Now it'd just be, well, playing it safe. Perhaps excessively and at the cost of that x-factor that would help us win games.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Hmmm...Finnish goal scoring winger with a penchant for really fast cars? Who does that remind me of?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teemu_Selänne
"An avid car collector,[93] Selänne has entered the World Rally Championship (WRC) twice, finishing the Rally Finland 33rd overall in 1997 and 24th in 1998.[94][95] He raced under the pseudonym "Teukka Salama" "Teddy Flash" in English"

Truthfully I just wanted to pimp Teemu here. Are there any other ex pros who do **** like this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b79XSxWPGkw , instead of starting their own golf course? (or whatever)

Seriously, top ranked Finns rarely underperform their draft position. I don't expect Laine or Puljujarvi will change that narrative. Probably not Juolevi either.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I was thinking that he's going to tweak something getting in and out of that golf cart, I mean car! :laugh: If Edmonton drafts him he better get used to driving Ford F Series trucks! :laugh:

underagers have no rights to drive car in finland, but instead those vehicles which are indeed ridiculously small

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
He looks really tall, any chance hes 6'5 by now?

He's still listed at 6'4/194cm so I think that's correct. And you wouldn't recognize his growth probably from the pictures. Hopefully he doesn't grow height anymore, it's just bad for skating and explosiveness. He's already almost at the max height for today's NHL where you need to be fast.:shakehead

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Some team is going to get real lucky on lottery day when they win #2. Just wait until he gains upper body mass, he'll be extremely difficult to contain even for NHL defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca