LW Nikolaj Ehlers - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2014, 9th overall, Winnipeg) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TANK200

Nov 13, 2007
Wait are you talking about this year? Because yeah, he was doing it left and right. It was embarrassing to watch.

Yep, beat me to it. This year's WJHC was the first time I have watched Ehlers play, and I didn't know anything about him prior to that. It took me about 1 game to think, "wow, this guy dives every time someone even comes near him...".

Amazing player, but possibly the worst diver I have ever seen. I can't comment on any calls against him in the QMJHL because I haven't seen any of his games, but if he plays anything like the way he did in the WJHC, he deserves whatever diving calls are made against him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think he's either physically exhausted, playing through an injury, or just mentally checked out for some reason. He's talented enough that the points are still there but to my eye he just doesn't look as 'good' as he did in the first half of the season. I think I've disagreed with all but 1 of the diving calls I've seen against him, but he doesn't do himself any favors by chirping the refs as often as he does, or by being slow to get back up and into the play when he is taken down.

Again I don't really know why but I think he's kind of coasting right now, very little urgency in his game and prone to making some silly little mental errors right now that I didn't really see earlier.

Could just be that the league doesn't pose much of a challenge for him any more :dunno:

....and yet 12 points on his team's 15 goals, and his team is leading a series in which they were underdogs.

I think he's ready to move on from the Q. He really wanted to make the Jets this season, but wasn't deemed strong enough.

Maurice will get him sorted out in terms of his on-ice demeanor and style of play.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Ehlers has to relax. In Game 6, he picked up a double-minor for spearing, a 10-minute misconduct and a game misconduct for abuse of officials.

TA1 Sports

@TA_Stephenson
Dec 3, 2011
Halifax NS
www.ta1sports.com
The kid is absolutely being treated differently by league officials. No wonder he is boiling over after months of it.

Martin Bernard is a clown for crying about him in La Presse, but it's gamesmanship and it has worked.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I don't care how bad the refs were. you don't get thrown out of a playoff game for jabbing your mouth when you are the most important player on the team

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
With the refs treating him this way - deserved or not - I can see him definitely being with the Jets in the fall. There's just no point in staying in junior.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
With the refs treating him this way - deserved or not - I can see him definitely being with the Jets in the fall. There's just no point in staying in junior.

Barring that him, his agent, the Jets, and Halifax could be exploring the option of him playing in Europe as well.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Barring that him, his agent, the Jets, and Halifax could be exploring the option of him playing in Europe as well.

That's more likely I think. He won't go back the Q, and you can't really blame him. There is just too much injury risk at this point.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Ehlers has to relax. In Game 6, he picked up a double-minor for spearing, a 10-minute misconduct and a game misconduct for abuse of officials.
Regardless of if he's been on the wrong end of some calls, a playoff game is the last place you should lose your cool. Junior move.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Regardless of if he's been on the wrong end of some calls, a playoff game is the last place you should lose your cool. Junior move.

It was midway through the third period in a game they were going to lose. He had just picked up a double minor. Lots of players lose their cool in those circumstances. It sounds like he's fed up with the treatment he gets from opponents and officials. He's in on 60% of the Mooseheads offense (80%+ in the playoffs), so you can understand why opponents might target him.

P0LiUM

Apr 16, 2012
Halifax
Both sides of the embellishment argument here are correct.

He absolutely embellishes. No question. That said, he is hacked, speared and generally roughed around at literally every single opportunity. Other teams hate him, and take their chances to piss him off when the officials aren't looking. As a referee, this means you feel somewhat obligated to spend all of your time watching one guy on the ice... and I can understand why that would be frustrating and lead to officiating bias when watching him play. It's spiralled out of control a bit, and is only happening because Ehlers is as talented and important to the Moose as he is. If he was a scrub, he wouldn't be getting this type of attention, and this wouldn't be a topic worth discussing. He needs to work on his temper. Other stars in the league get this attention to, and don't lose their ****.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Both sides of the embellishment argument here are correct.

He absolutely embellishes. No question. That said, he is hacked, speared and generally roughed around at literally every single opportunity. Other teams hate him, and take their chances to piss him off when the officials aren't looking. As a referee, this means you feel somewhat obligated to spend all of your time watching one guy on the ice... and I can understand why that would be frustrating and lead to officiating bias when watching him play. It's spiralled out of control a bit, and is only happening because Ehlers is as talented and important to the Moose as he is. If he was a scrub, he wouldn't be getting this type of attention, and this wouldn't be a topic worth discussing. He needs to work on his temper. Other stars in the league get this attention to, and don't lose their ****.

very good and balanced post.

The way I look at it as a Jets fan is this is a very important part/stage of his development. Nik has dominated in the Q but he has had to live through a bit of abuse and he has a target on his back. I think he could have handled it better and there is a lesson to be learned along the way. If he is a star in the NHL one day then he will get some of this same abuse so it's good he is learning to deal with it even though he is might not be handling it as well as he could. That is all part of the learning curve. What doesn't kill Nik will make him stronger.

I am an old dude and happened to live in Edmonton during Gretz's prime and although I loved Wayne he dove allot and his nickname was whiner so you can just imagine how bad it was. Some players are a bit more outwardly emotional and competitive and I think it tends to inflame things especially if they are talented. Steve Yzerman was really competitive but he hid his emotions more. I am fine with Ehlers as is, the players that drive me crazy are the guys that don't show up every game and appear to have a low give a ***** factor. Give me a guy like Nik any day that lives to compete and win bad temper and all.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Game 6 was one of the worst officiated games I've seen

That's really saying something because game 5 was pretty horrible. Aside from the insane number of bad penalties(for both teams), it's not often that the officials' incompetence is directly responsible for a goal. At least I hope it was just incompetence, because the alternative is much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad