LW Nikolaj Ehlers - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2014, 9th overall, Winnipeg) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He has chances but for the most part, he is doing everything himself when he does get those chances. This leaves it easy for defenders like Labbe and Welsh to keep him to the perimeter more than he would like.

9 assists in 4 games (team has a total of 11 goals). Imagine if he wasn't making it so easy for defenders. :laugh:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He has chances but for the most part, he is doing everything himself when he does get those chances. This leaves it easy for defenders like Labbe and Welsh to keep him to the perimeter more than he would like.

Cheers, seems like he is carrying Hali through this.

Saved

Jun 9, 2014
Yeah Nik has points but that's the problem.. he is trying to do everything, so of course he will have points. He needs to utilize his team mates a bit better so that they can't just target him. Also, Halifax needs some secondary scoring because atm it's pitiful.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe Halifax would have more than 11 goals :dunno:

Yeah Nik has points but that's the problem.. he is trying to do everything, so of course he will have points. He needs to utilize his team mates a bit better so that they can't just target him. Also, Halifax needs some secondary scoring because atm it's pitiful.

If there was secondary scoring, Ehlers probably wouldn't have to do so much. But they don't. When Ehlers starts playing with better players and with NHL coaching, he is going to be dynamite. He has all the skills and tremendous vision and hockey sense. But he needs to get out of that situation so that he can start working more in a structured setting and better teammates, and learn how to fit into an NHL system.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Halifax takes a 2-0 lead, Ehlers with 1+1. If only he would stop making it so easy for defenders...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
.... now 12 points in 5 games on a total of 15 goals by the Mooseheads in the playoffs.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
He needs to utilize his team mates a bit better so that they can't just target him.

Ehlers currently leads the QMJHL playoffs in both points and assists. His 11 assists in 5 games underscores that he is utilizing his teammates better than anyone else in that league at present.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
typical use of the media by a coach to get the upper hand, nothing to see here.

Ehlers flopped atleast 3 times last night and that was from late third until the end of the game in double OT. This coming from a Mooseheads fan. Not sure when it started. He didnt do it much, if at all last season.

Last edited:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Ehlers flopped atleast 3 times last night and that was from late third until the end of the game in double OT. This coming from a Mooseheads fan. Not sure when it started. He didnt do it much, if at all last season.

okay but I've heard of him getting numerous diving calls when he doesn't deserve it as well.

If it is something he is actually doing then it is something he is going to need to stop doing when he takes the next step. When he turns pro the coaching staff will make it crystal clear they won't put up with it.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
okay but I've heard of him getting numerous diving calls when he doesn't deserve it as well.

If it is something he is actually doing then it is something he is going to need to stop doing when he takes the next step. When he turns pro the coaching staff will make it crystal clear they won't put up with it.

I would agree with he was getting unfairly called for quite a few towards the end of the regular season. If it wasnt the third or OT he would have been rightly called for a couple last night. Showing the other side of the coin to try and give the full picture, atleast for the 1 game I saw live.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I would agree with he was getting unfairly called for quite a few towards the end of the regular season. If it wasnt the third or OT he would have been rightly called for a couple last night. Showing the other side of the coin to try and give the full picture, atleast for the 1 game I saw live.

Thanks I appreciate that. It's good to hear from a Mooseheads fan directly about this.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Didn't see him dive once in his prospects games or pre-season games with the Jets. Quite the opposite. He took quite a bit of physical abuse without making a fuss.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Didn't see him dive once in his prospects games or pre-season games with the Jets. Quite the opposite. He took quite a bit of physical abuse without making a fuss.

Did the same in the q last year. Not sure how/why it crept into his game this year.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010

It really just started earlier in this season, when Ehlers was getting hacked and slashed and cross-checked on pretty much every shift, and the referees were just letting it happen. So in that sense, I can understand why the diving began - because he's sick of taking all the abuse and never seeing a penalty called against the scrubs who keep targeting him - but it's got to stop now, because the referees are just looking for an excuse to call him for diving now.

Though the bigger problem recently has been how often he turns the puck over because he's trying to dangle around the entire team. So many times last night he lost the puck while trying to do some behind the back deke or something pointless like that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Did the same in the q last year. Not sure how/why it crept into his game this year.

It really just started earlier in this season, when Ehlers was getting hacked and slashed and cross-checked on pretty much every shift, and the referees were just letting it happen. So in that sense, I can understand why the diving began - because he's sick of taking all the abuse and never seeing a penalty called against the scrubs who keep targeting him - but it's got to stop now, because the referees are just looking for an excuse to call him for diving now.

Though the bigger problem recently has been how often he turns the puck over because he's trying to dangle around the entire team. So many times last night he lost the puck while trying to do some behind the back deke or something pointless like that.

He didn't do it at the WJHC, either.

I watched a couple of Q games and he was getting hacked repeatedly while carrying the puck. The only penalties I saw were a couple of very weak "diving" penalties against him. It actually caused the commentators to mention it, and the GM (Smith) was obviously furious.

Maybe he decided that the refs aren't calling anything with all the hacks he gets, and is trying to get a few calls. It won't stay in his game when he gets to the NHL with big-league coaching, good team leaders and better referees.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I think he's either physically exhausted, playing through an injury, or just mentally checked out for some reason. He's talented enough that the points are still there but to my eye he just doesn't look as 'good' as he did in the first half of the season. I think I've disagreed with all but 1 of the diving calls I've seen against him, but he doesn't do himself any favors by chirping the refs as often as he does, or by being slow to get back up and into the play when he is taken down.

Again I don't really know why but I think he's kind of coasting right now, very little urgency in his game and prone to making some silly little mental errors right now that I didn't really see earlier.

Could just be that the league doesn't pose much of a challenge for him any more :dunno:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
It really sounds like he's getting worn down....getting targeted by other teams sure contributes to that..

granted he could handle it better but he has 12 points in 5 games.....what more can u reasonably expect him to do?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He didn't do it at the WJHC, either.

I watched a couple of Q games and he was getting hacked repeatedly while carrying the puck. The only penalties I saw were a couple of very weak "diving" penalties against him. It actually caused the commentators to mention it, and the GM (Smith) was obviously furious.

Maybe he decided that the refs aren't calling anything with all the hacks he gets, and is trying to get a few calls. It won't stay in his game when he gets to the NHL with big-league coaching, good team leaders and better referees.

Wait are you talking about this year? Because yeah, he was doing it left and right. It was embarrassing to watch.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I think he's either physically exhausted, playing through an injury, or just mentally checked out for some reason. He's talented enough that the points are still there but to my eye he just doesn't look as 'good' as he did in the first half of the season. I think I've disagreed with all but 1 of the diving calls I've seen against him, but he doesn't do himself any favors by chirping the refs as often as he does, or by being slow to get back up and into the play when he is taken down.

Again I don't really know why but I think he's kind of coasting right now, very little urgency in his game and prone to making some silly little mental errors right now that I didn't really see earlier.

Could just be that the league doesn't pose much of a challenge for him any more :dunno:

It's long season so it's natural that he can't be on top of his game all season long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad