LW Nikolaj Ehlers - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2014, 9th overall, Winnipeg) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I wasn't talking about the locker room stuff, but the bad reputation with refs.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
Ehlers is a fan favourite in Hali, in addition to being a ridiculously talented player. He may even reach or surpass Fucale's popularity.

Zero ego or behaviour issues with this kid.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I wasn't talking about the locker room stuff, but the bad reputation with refs.

NHL referees wouldn't get away with most of the calls we've seen against Ehlers. We're talking about a few refs who are obviously holding grudges from last year, and NHL refs can't be so blatant about it and hope to avoid scrutiny.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I cant comment on his recent diving penalties but I can tell you one night in Cape Breton he was diving all over the ice like there was a sniper in the stands.

The CB coach called the Halifax team out in the paper for diving and since then it seems like the refs are sick of him trying to embarrass them.

Ehlers is ridiculously talented but he tries to make a mockery of the officials, I've seen him doing golf claps while smiling at the linesmen after what he perceives as a missed offside call, clapping with his hands over his head after he gets a penalty he doesn't agree with, cocking his stick over his head and smashing it over the boards when he didn't have a call go against him, etc.

I saw a couple of games on TV and Ehlers was clearly being targeted by the refs. In fact, the announcers and GM Bobby Smith commented on the fact that the refs made a couple of terrible calls on him for "embellishment" (one for "diving" while trying to score from the slot while being blatantly tripped). I also saw him put up with one play where a slower D-man gave him about 6 hard two-handed slashes while Ehlers was moving around the offensive zone with the puck - he didn't flinch and the refs completely ignored it.

I don't doubt that Ehlers has shown frustration with the refs at times, and they've probably responded by targeting him with "diving" calls. But I also think it's likely that other teams have targeted Ehlers all season since he's by far their most dangerous offensive player.

It sounds like the Q refs are as immature as some of the teenage players.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I saw a couple of games on TV and Ehlers was clearly being targeted by the refs. In fact, the announcers and GM Bobby Smith commented on the fact that the refs made a couple of terrible calls on him for "embellishment" (one for "diving" while trying to score from the slot while being blatantly tripped). I also saw him put up with one play where a slower D-man gave him about 6 hard two-handed slashes while Ehlers was moving around the offensive zone with the puck - he didn't flinch and the refs completely ignored it.

I don't doubt that Ehlers has shown frustration with the refs at times, and they've probably responded by targeting him with "diving" calls. But I also think it's likely that other teams have targeted Ehlers all season since he's by far their most dangerous offensive player.

It sounds like the Q refs are as immature as some of the teenage players.

Chris Lee came from the QMJHL. All you need to know.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
to St John's I think

I think he could play for the Jets as well.

I'm not sure on the specifics, but I remember the Sens recalling Mark Stone after his junior team was eliminated in the playoffs. He only played 1 game and had 1 assist before being replaced by Silfverberg.

If Perreault isn't back by the playoffs, I'd love to see Ehlers fill in for him.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
The Jets can assign their Junior players to both AHL or NHL if their Junior team's season is done. I don't see Ehlers being sent to the AHL.

Copp was signed and brought up to Winnipeg. I don't see it being any different for Ehlers.

I don't see either one of them playing a game though, unless they clinch and the last couple of games don't mean anything.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Halifax has 7 goals in the playoffs.

Ehlers has 7 assists.

wow. what a bum. he doesn't even have more points than what his team has goals.

Crazy that he's litterally setting it all up.

...updating an analysis to include the full season.

This summarizes the players' points/game, the goals/game by the players' team, and the ratio of the two for some notable junior players over the years.

In relation to his team's scoring rates, Ehlers' points/game exceeds some rather productive junior players.

View attachment 81041

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
His streak got stopped at 8 straight goals.

Had 2 points on 4 goals today. Both assists.

9 points in 4 games on 11 goals.

P0LiUM

Apr 16, 2012
Halifax
...updating an analysis to include the full season.

This summarizes the players' points/game, the goals/game by the players' team, and the ratio of the two for some notable junior players over the years.

In relation to his team's scoring rates, Ehlers' points/game exceeds some rather productive junior players.

View attachment 81041

It's a neat graph, but ultimately these ratios are heavily influenced by the quality of the team that these players are on. A good team that doesn't need to rely on it's stars as much will have higher Goals/game... which these other teams do. It also means that the offence is spread out a bit more, which can dictate player usage and all sorts of other things. The Moose this year are basically the Ehlers and Meier show.

Still neat, though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's a neat graph, but ultimately these ratios are heavily influenced by the quality of the team that these players are on. A good team that doesn't need to rely on it's stars as much will have higher Goals/game... which these other teams do. It also means that the offence is spread out a bit more, which can dictate player usage and all sorts of other things. The Moose this year are basically the Ehlers and Meier show.

Still neat, though.

Reinhart is also on a low scoring team, but has a much lower point production (see graph). Regardless, it's pretty remarkable to be in on around 60% of a team's goals. Obviously, opponents will target Ehlers. Watching him play, you can see that he is very tough to handle for junior competition.

Saved

Jun 9, 2014
I have been to the last two Halifax games (At the old Forum). He has had some good spurts but it's a tad annoying watching him try to do everything himself. Also, un needingly fancy at times; twice in game 3 and once in game 4 he would pick the puck up behind his net to attempt an end to end rush, and he pulled puck back towards his skates (like bure) to kick it back to his stick (with no one around him) only to miss the puck and have it behind him and create a turnover without any pressure.

To his credit, there was one play where the puck got tipped into the Shawinigan end and he chased down and passed two defenders, scooped the puck up, and took control in their zone for a few nice shots... that takes skill. He is good but he needs to use his team mates a bit more. He gets a ton of points but IMO could be more useful if he used them more. Teams focus him so when he takes it on himself, he is prone to turnovers or bad decisions.

Been impressed with Timo though. Not as good offensively but I think he is going to be a very good NHLer.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Can't complain about Nik's production, but havent watched any PO games, so Was wondering if he is a bit snakebitten in the scoring department ?

Saved

Jun 9, 2014
Can't complain about Nik's production, but havent watched any PO games, so Was wondering if he is a bit snakebitten in the scoring department ?

He has chances but for the most part, he is doing everything himself when he does get those chances. This leaves it easy for defenders like Labbe and Welsh to keep him to the perimeter more than he would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad