LW Kristian Vesalainen (2017, 24th, WPG)

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I don't know how he does it. Aho looked so much better while being a PPG player than Vesalainen does now.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Aho is in a higher "tier" for sure. I mean there aren't that many youngster I would pick ahead of him if I was building a team. Vesalainen is scoring on a great pace however and is starting to look like yet another jackpot for the Jets (considering where he was drafted). As good as Aho was and has become, it goes to show how hard scoring league FEL really is. Only three players actually made it to PPG or PPG+ during 16-17 and from 17-18 guys who have played over 30 games I can find only one that is on a point per game pace (if I didn't miss anyone).

But yeah, after WJC there often is at least one guy who comes back with guns blazing and right now Kristian seems to be on fire. Kind of pity how bad the center department Team Finland had in the WJC though. Having some actual top tier player between Vesalainen and Tolvanen would have been a much welcomed addition as well as the piece that was needed in order to fight for the gold medal.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I don't think Vesalainen would be a disaster if he played NHL the next year, but it just seems to me that he isn't ready. What does he do that for example Dano won't do better?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I would guess he starts in the AHL.

Jets have one of the deepest F groups in the league, they are in no rush with Vesalainen and his ELC will be worth gold to them.

Reactions: Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would guess he starts in the AHL.

Jets have one of the deepest F groups in the league, they are in no rush with Vesalainen and his ELC will be worth gold to them.
Agree. The Jets have a ton of young forward prospects...

Next up...

Roslovic
Lemieux
Petan
Foley
Appleton

Vesalainen will play another season in Liiga or the AHL before making the Jets, unless he absolutely blows them away in development camp and training camp. Even then, the Jets might be strategic with their contracts and have him play another season outside the NHL to let his ELC slide one more season. Chevy is a "big picture" GM.

Reactions: Huffer

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agree. The Jets have a ton of young forward prospects...

Next up...

Roslovic
Lemieux
Petan
Foley
Appleton

Vesalainen will play another season in Liiga or the AHL before making the Jets, unless he absolutely blows them away in development camp and training camp. Even then, the Jets might be strategic with their contracts and have him play another season outside the NHL to let his ELC slide one more season. Chevy is a "big picture" GM.

Roslovic is the next promising young player to become a full time NHL players, I hope Vesalainen jumps to NA when his season ends, or latest for next season.
Would do good for him to start adjusting to NA game.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
As someone that never found Dano to be anything more than a potential bottom six waterbug, I find the comparison to be housed on a rough foundation. Then again, who was talking to me anyway...?
Never compared him to Dano, he was just the first depth guy that popped in to my mind when I thought about the Jets.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So, this kid has 27 points in 29 games in Liiga (11g 16A). Pretty damn impressive. Winnipeg might have a steal here?

For a 18 year old playing in a men's league. This is outstanding. He's going to be an interesting topic soon in Winnipeg. I wonder if he may be Laine's other bookend one day.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
So, this kid has 27 points in 29 games in Liiga (11g 16A). Pretty damn impressive. Winnipeg might have a steal here?

*30 games, and it's crazy impressive. Especially since he started the season with 3 points in 9 games playing on the third line and had to work his way up. Could be one of the best U19 seasons in history if he can keep up his pace.

Reactions: Ippenator

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
As Kyosama said, PPG+ in his last 21 games, was also banged up for a bit before the WJC's. I was happy with the pick due to his U-18 dominance, not ecstatic ( I reallllly wanted Brannstrom before we traded down), but the Jets scouts looked like they've nailed it so far.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
So what does this guy top out as? Big, quick, apparently decent hands. Doesn't really shy away from traffic.

Is there a comparison?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
So what does this guy top out as? Big, quick, apparently decent hands. Doesn't really shy away from traffic.

Is there a comparison?
I can’t help it but he definitely reminds me of Evander Kane. With the good and the bad. Big, strong and quick for his size. He has also pretty good hands and likes to drive to the net and shoot quite a lot.

The bad Kane-kind of things are that he has not been so far the best team player. Although it does seem to me that during this season he has become better with this, which can definitely be seen from his assist totals. But still in my opinion he does have at least kind of a tunnel vision, not the worst kind, but some anyway. So this will probably affect his play style too.

Krisu also has kind of a cocky attitude and he has pretty often sounded and even looked quite cocky and full of himself in interviews. Thankfully it seems to me that this has also been slightly polished during this season. But I have to admit that I’m still at least a bit worried of these a bit more negative aspects about him. Don’t take me wrong though, as I’m pretty excited about him as a prospect and I’m extremely happy about his great development lately. I just believe that he is a player that needs some extra good support and guidance to not get too much into some bad habits. It is definitely looking very good for him at the moment anyway!

Oh, and I have seen him now play in about 50 games when FEL and junior national team games are all counted. So I wouldn’t call it at least a small sample size that I’m evaluating him with.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He seems to really like shooting from that right circle. Maybe we can throw him on the PP in a few years and have Laine on the left and Vesa on the right. Hit em from all angles.

Reactions: LainePeg

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He has been exceeding expectations lately. I think he'll start in the AHL next year. When you're PPG in Liiga as a 18-year old, I think it's time for the next step. I'm glad he has found success - I really doubted him for a while. He is still a long way from the NHL however.

BTW: He leads the Liiga in PP goals. He has scored 10 of his 14 goals on PP.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Vesalainen keeps trucking along. 34 points in 37 games in Liiga (8th in points/game). Outstanding 18-year old season.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Wonder what his production is on ES, as told in the clip it was his 10th goal on PP and 14th in total. Every point counts though.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Wonder what his production is on ES, as told in the clip it was his 10th goal on PP and 14th in total. Every point counts though.

If the stats on Liiga.fi are correct:

Powerplay: 12 goals and 7 assists = 19 points
ES: 3 goals and 12 assists = 15 points

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
KV had both goals in today's 2-1 win, taking him to 36 in 39 for the season. Showed some great patience and a lethal shot on the winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad