LW Kristian Vesalainen (2017, 24th, WPG)

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Vesalainen and Tolvanen were the only forwards that did something.

Every other Finnish forward was trash.
I liked his tournament overall.
Vesalainen
Tolvanen
Jokiharu
Juolevi were the only ones creating

Sure... Räsänen scored 4 goals, and was the best faceoff guy in the tournament, but sure did nothing and was trash...
The goals weren't flukes either, he went to the dirty parts of the grease to score them.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I was sitting having a couple of pops with a scout at the WJCs and I posited that Kristian Vesalainen is the best Finnish prospect in the world right now (clearly, I'm a big fan)...he suggested both Heiskanen and Tolvanen are better prospects, which I can certainly see a case for...but for the sake of friendly conversation (if possible), what does your (royal you) top 3 or 5 Finnish prospects list looks like. Even after time for digestion, I'm sticking with Vesalainen - though I get that that is unpopular for a couple of reasons...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I was sitting having a couple of pops with a scout at the WJCs and I posited that Kristian Vesalainen is the best Finnish prospect in the world right now (clearly, I'm a big fan)...he suggested both Heiskanen and Tolvanen are better prospects, which I can certainly see a case for...but for the sake of friendly conversation (if possible), what does your (royal you) top 3 or 5 Finnish prospects list looks like. Even after time for digestion, I'm sticking with Vesalainen - though I get that that is unpopular for a couple of reasons...

Heiskanen
Tolvanen/Vesalainen.

Then it's some kind of battle with Juolevi, Borgstrom& Hepo probably.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Heiskanen
Tolvanen/Vesalainen.

Then it's some kind of battle with Juolevi, Borgstrom& Hepo probably.
Agree with this...

Vesalainen really fits the Jets' mold. Big, fast, talented and hard to play against.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I would go with Heiskanen and Tolvanen as 1 and 2. Vesalainen could climb back up there with them, but I still have some reservations due to last year. 3-5 could really be any of Vesalainen, Juolevi, Borgström, Välimäki or even Jokiharju and Heponiemi.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Guys that I like atm

1. Miro Heiskanen
2. Eeli Tolvanen
3. Henrik Borgström
4. Olli Juolevi
5. Kristian Vesalainen
6. Juuso Välimäki
7. Henri Jokiharju
8. Kasperi Kapanen
9. Ville Husso
10. Aleksi Heponiemi

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Farkas

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Cool, good feedback guys. I see Juolevi up there and not to get too far from the topic (I'll be quiet after this), but do we really see the offensive upside there to put him up in this echelon? Is he Olli Maatta+ in your opinion or is there another tier on top of that? The "+" representing that Juolevi is a better skater and a better one-, perhaps even two-line carrier as compared to Maatta...the latter cannot carry the puck at the NHL level. But is OJ's offensive package and ceiling so far and away better than Maatta's that he warrants being placed above some of the other names on these lists, not the least of which is the subject of this thread...

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Cool, good feedback guys. I see Juolevi up there and not to get too far from the topic (I'll be quiet after this), but do we really see the offensive upside there to put him up in this echelon? Is he Olli Maatta+ in your opinion or is there another tier on top of that? The "+" representing that Juolevi is a better skater and a better one-, perhaps even two-line carrier as compared to Maatta...the latter cannot carry the puck at the NHL level. But is OJ's offensive package and ceiling so far and away better than Maatta's that he warrants being placed above some of the other names on these lists, not the least of which is the subject of this thread...
Part of it is that Juolevi is slightly further in his development. It's hard to compare him and Määttä offensively at the same age, but I'd say Juolevi looks more promising. He definitely looks more dynamic offensively. You have to remember that Määttä is no slouch (now that his skating looks to be back to his rookie season -level), a Määttä+ is a bona fide top pairing defender.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I thought Vesalainen wasn't that good and might become a bust (it's still a possibility) after last season. But he looks a lot better now than I could have ever predicted. Great pick at 24. I am a big fan of him.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
My list of Finnish prospects would be:

1. Heiskanen and Tolvanen
3. Jokiharju
4. Borgström
5. Heponiemi
6. Vesalainen
7. Välimäki
8. Juolevi
9. Kähkönen
10. Husso

Vesalainen seems like a better prospect than I thought originally, and he is definitely not even too far from number 3 spot on my list. But I would still need to see him play with a bit better vision and skill in general and also more of a passing game than what he has shown so far. Although it seems to me that he has already exactly developed pretty well on all of these areas when comparing how he was as a player last season. I would just like to see the same kind of developing happening to him from now on too.

He is definitely a very interesting prospect, and if his development continues like this, he could very well be a top 3 Finnish prospect for me too. I don’t see it though that he will be ever as good or even better as Heiskanen or Tolvanen. Those two just have so much skill and so great hockey IQ. But this is still just my opinion.

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I hope we see him in the Moose next year.
Nah. He’s developing fine where he is and the Moose are not hurting for forwards. IMO 1 more year at home, then year with the Moose with some call-up time mixed in to acclimatize himself to North America and NHL ice.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Vesalainen is the complete package, his huge, very fast, you can even say extremely fast for his size, he gots hands, plays hard, excellent physical game, hard shot, young birhtday for his draft, and he is producing (best PPG of his SM-Liiga team and WJC20 fin, best +/- in both), could easily be the best Fin prospect, sky is the limit, will be interesting to see how far he can get.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Guys that I like atm

1. Miro Heiskanen
2. Eeli Tolvanen
3. Henrik Borgström
4. Olli Juolevi
5. Kristian Vesalainen
6. Juuso Välimäki
7. Henri Jokiharju
8. Kasperi Kapanen
9. Ville Husso
10. Aleksi Heponiemi

1.Heiskanen
2.Tolvanen
3.Vesalainen

I feel Juolevi has dropped a bit

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
I see Rantanen every time I watch Vesa. Not as good but not so far away what people may think.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Now up to 25 points in 28 games. Very strong 18-year old season in the Liiga.

Only 1 guy has gone ppg in Liiga as an 18y in the last 30y something year, S. Aho and he played for a helluva lot better team than Vesalainen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad