LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
lol

Every year there's this player(s) who's labeled as "most skilled" in his draft but is either really small, has a terrible record with injuries or both. 9 times out of 10 NHL fans don't hear from these guys again.

Reactions: Cowumbus

JAGZx09

Jun 8, 2011
Not sure about steal of the draft but the kid is extremely talented. Being from Dubuque I had the opportunity to watch him all season in the USHL. He was on a line with Vinny Saponari who was a 4th rounder for the now Jets and Zemgus Girgensons who has a shot at the first round next year. I can say without a doubt he was by far the most skilled player on our team. For being a small guy he does an extremely good job working behind the net for wrap arounds and passes out to the open man in the slot. He's got a decent shot but is very good at creating opportunities for himself, usually with some sick dekes. If he is able to at least reach 5'7-5'8 180ish pounds I see no reason why size will hold him back.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Having seen Gaudreau and Pat Kane play at the same level and at the same age, their skills match up pretty closely.

If Gaudreau was born a month later, he would be in the 2012 draft, and undoubtedly be mentioned as a potential first rounder. Hes that skilled. When on the ice against Kenny Agostino, I didnt even think it was that close as far as skills, Gaudreau was better.

Hes basically a 17/18 year old in a 15 year olds body. Which makes what he does even more amazing because hes playing against guys that have grown much more then him.

He will definitely turn heads, and is a lot of fun to watch.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
The size issue is why Gaudreau will be a long term project. I think it will take another 4 years for him to bulk up to be able to play physical hockey at a pro level.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I have also had the misfortune of play against Gaudreau. I've also played against Stefan Noesen for comparison, and while what I have to say means very little, I found Gaudreau a much, much tougher player to play against. EDIT: Obviously this was back a couple years, so they both have developed quite a bit since then!

But his quickness on his edges is just something I have never seen before. It's not so much his hands, it's how he has the ability to use his hands in conjunction with his feet with such quickness and agility.

That being said, NHL defenseman are also equally proficient at what they do, so it will be a major challenge for him to dominate at higher levels given his size.

nik-

Sep 13, 2004
I'm a Flames fan and I doubt we ever see him, but a fourth rounder is a long shot regardless, so I'm not against us taking a chance. He sounds very skilled, but that is really small.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
You know with modern science where it is today, there's gotta be some kind of hormone or something that they can give this kid, maybe boost him up a couple inches? It's 2011, I know there's a way.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
You know with modern science where it is today, there's gotta be some kind of hormone or something that they can give this kid, maybe boost him up a couple inches? It's 2011, I know there's a way.
Lol. So are you suggesting PEDs or something?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I love the list of "steals" of the draft ... the draft is two weeks old and there is no hockey being played anywhere.

Maybe give it a month or two into the season at least? Or, better yet, check back in five years. I can understand the reason for the topic - to discuss John Gaudreau, but let's save our "steal arguments" for a bit.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Alls I'm saying is that, if someone took something to get bigger muscles, that's wrong, but if it meant you would grow a few inches, then that's the difference of being short or average, for the rest of your entire life. Is that so wrong? You can't even see over people's heads at 5'6.

Just a one time thing, it'll get flushed out of his system, and he'll be all the taller for it. Just as long as once he grows he promises to never touch the stuff again.

nik-

Sep 13, 2004
Alls I'm saying is that, if someone took something to get bigger muscles, that's wrong, but if it meant you would grow a few inches, then that's the difference of being short or average, for the rest of your entire life. Is that so wrong? You can't even see over people's heads at 5'6.

Just a one time thing, it'll get flushed out of his system, and he'll be all the taller for it. Just as long as once he grows he promises to never touch the stuff again.

I legitimately thought you were saying it as a joke .... guess not :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad